Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
dragoon
dragoon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader
Tablet Upgrade Error (long message)

My Kobo Vox is broken and I can't get any response from the Help desk. I hope someone on this forum can help me.

My troubles started with the latest upgrade. When my Vox re-started my library had disappeared. When I attempted to sign in to my Kobo account to reacquire my library, it kept telling me that my email address was invalid. I first thought that it didn't recognize the underscore I use to separate my names, but I found I could successfully log in to my Kobo account on my PC with this address, so I now feel that the problem is in the Vox.

I then attempted to log in via facebook. My Vox tells me that someone else is attempting to login with my email address and as a result my account is locked. Ironic! That other person is me trying unsuccessfully to log in.

I let it sit for a few days awaiting a reply from the help desk. Today, I gave up on receiving a reply and tried to set up my Vox again. This time, at the "checking for upgrades" stage I got a new error message: " Tablet Upgrade Error. Unable to upgrade your Kobo eReader. Please try again later." Well, later I got the same error message. Now my Vox is unable to get past this block.

Now my Vox is a $200 paper weight. Fortunately, I still have the original clunky Kobo eReader so I can still access my library through my PC with it.

Is there a way of re-setting the Vox so that its memory is clean so I can pretend it is fresh from the factory and start over?

I'd appreciate any help I can get.
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Try this:

Quote:
Kobo Vox – Factory Reset Instruction

The Vox battery must have a 10% charge to perform these steps. It should have sufficient charge when removed from the box. If the charge is too low, connect the device to the Kobo supplied charger (other chargers will not work) and charge for 20-30 minutes.

1. Start with the Vox powered off.

2. Press and hold the volume up button on the left side of the device. It is
labelled with a “+” sign. Do not let go of this button.

3. Press and release the power button, which is on the top of the device.

4. Continue to hold the volume up button until you see “Resetting your Kobo
eReader” on the display. Release the volume up button.

5. Wait until you see the Vox re-boot and the white screen showing “Welcome to your eReader!” is displayed. This will take approximately one minute.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
My Kobo Vox is broken and I can't get any response from the Help desk. I hope someone on this forum can help me.

My troubles started with the latest upgrade. When my Vox re-started my library had disappeared. When I attempted to sign in to my Kobo account to reacquire my library, it kept telling me that my email address was invalid. I first thought that it didn't recognize the underscore I use to separate my names, but I found I could successfully log in to my Kobo account on my PC with this address, so I now feel that the problem is in the Vox.

I then attempted to log in via facebook. My Vox tells me that someone else is attempting to login with my email address and as a result my account is locked. Ironic! That other person is me trying unsuccessfully to log in.

I let it sit for a few days awaiting a reply from the help desk. Today, I gave up on receiving a reply and tried to set up my Vox again. This time, at the "checking for upgrades" stage I got a new error message: " Tablet Upgrade Error. Unable to upgrade your Kobo eReader. Please try again later." Well, later I got the same error message. Now my Vox is unable to get past this block.

Now my Vox is a $200 paper weight. Fortunately, I still have the original clunky Kobo eReader so I can still access my library through my PC with it.

Is there a way of re-setting the Vox so that its memory is clean so I can pretend it is fresh from the factory and start over?

I'd appreciate any help I can get.
------------------------------------

Yes, there are things you can do. If you haven't already, I suggest you read from the second page of this forum onward (about the time Oct. 28th) that people were bringing the Vox home. There is a way to factory reset the vox by means of taking off the back cover (a post prior explains this) and pressing this reset button. You should then have a virgin as-factory-shipped state. This isn't fatal....you just need to do the read and then apply.

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-03-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Before doing a factory reset, try a reinstall of the Kobo app. Go to settings, choose Kobo Ereader Settings, and then the app reset.

If you have to do a full reset, go to settings, then privacy, where you can then choose to do the factory reset.

Last edited by taming; 12-03-2011 at 08:01 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
dragoon
dragoon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader
Thanks all for your advice. I did a Settings>Privacy>Factory Restore and re-started the settings and everything is now working well.

If anyone is picking up my challenge in an earlier thread to write "Kobo Vox for Dummies", please include directions for finding the factory reset.
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Yes, it is hiding in a strange place, isn't it? The factory reset using the volume and power controls is great when you cannot got into the Vox at all, but the other way is much easier, for sure.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
acbr66
acbr66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Try this:
OMG, you guys rock! Thanks for this thread (and quoted post) - the facory reset worked for me. I just opened the best Christmas present ever from my husband this morning and was getting all flustered when I couldn't get the software to upgrade. This thread saved me from a meltdown most surely
acbr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
luid
luid began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Thanks previous poster. Unfortunately I can not get beyond the tablet upgrade error. I am forced to pick a wireless signal. Once accepted i get stuck in this loop. Does it matter that I am on a secure network?
Thanks for any help in advance.

L
luid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Vox can handle wpa but not the enterprise flavours.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote