Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
lochkelly
lochkelly began at the beginning.

Device: Augen The Book
Getting Started w/ Augen The Book

My 12 y/o son just saved up his money and purchased Augen's The Book. The manual is of very little help and we cannot figure out how to get started. So far he can get on our home wifi and browse internet and ebooks website but cannot figure out how to actually get the books onto the Augen.

I am somewhat tech-savvy but really have no clue about this device. Can someone here give us some instructions or refer us to a website that will give us the basics to get started?

Many Thanks!
Lisa (& Adam)
lochkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Don't know anything about the augen so I will be dealing with the issue from a very general level.

Most electronic readers are tied to a specific store and you will be forced to buy from that particular electronic store. The Kindle is tied to Amazon, the Nook and Noock Color are tied to Barns and Nobles and even my Libra Pro is tied to Kobo and Borders. Looks like to me that yours is tied to ebooksmedia.com.

Next, looks like you will need Adobe Digital Editions (its free) to acomplish the uplaoding of documents, www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions. My libra pro used digital editions and what I did was once I bought the book, go to my bookshelf and look for an icon that says download. That will transfer the book to digital editions and will bring it up in digital editions, hook up your augen to a usb port and digital editions will recongize it in the tree on the left. Next drag the book to the augen in the tree and digital editions will take care of te uploading.

This method is referred to as side loading and does not use the wifi, sorry don't know anything about the wifi.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
KrowNB
Enthusiast
KrowNB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
<SNIP>...

Most electronic readers are tied to a specific store and you will be forced to buy from that particular electronic store. ...<SNIP>.
???? The Kindle is tied to Amazon, unless you have software than can convert mobi to epub, but as far as I know any reader that reads epub can download from any site that sells in that format. I've loaded epubs from numerous sites, both free and commercial, on both our Kobo Wifi and Sony PRS-650. Neither unit is tied to any one store.

Last edited by KrowNB; 03-11-2011 at 07:54 AM.
KrowNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
Billsey
Billsey began at the beginning.

Augen's The Book handles a number of different formats, so can be used with a host of sellers. It might have troubles with some of the DRMs though, so if you're buying books protected by DRM, stick with the ePub format to be safe. I buy most of my books through Baen Books, and they are DRM free so it's not an issue for me.

You can download the books directly to The Book or to a separate computer and copy over via USB.
Billsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:38 AM   #5
West Virginia
Enthusiast
West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

The browser is extremely limited. You must click on a downloadable link, meaning, if you click on it, it asks you if you want to save, in order to download.

j
West Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
gsdive
gsdive began at the beginning.

Device: Augen's The Book
I bought my "Book" back on Black Friday and have been pretty satisfied with it as my first e-reader; but that is all I use it for - reading books. I'm not setup with wifi in my house and I've heard mostly poor remarks on the browser performance. But if you're having success with those functions that's what really matters.

Yes - the manual is almost useless, it's decent as a 'quick-start' guide but not what I would call a true user's manual. As for transferring books to the device you might be missing one of two steps: 1) start the u-disk function on the device; 2) connect to your computer via hard-wire USB and use Calibre (which should have come with The Book) for transferring the books. You could try just #1 with wifi, it might work, as I said I don't use wifi.

Also, I've always transferred books to a separate SD card in the device and left the internal memory just for the pre-loaded books. The SD card and the device show up separately in Calibre.
gsdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
firedragon
firedragon began at the beginning.

Device: Augen "The Book"
I have had The Book since October and I love it. My previous reader was a Sony PRS-505, and even though the e-ink was nice during the day, if I wanted to read at night I had to get a book light for it.
It is much easier to download the books you buy to your computer and then upload them to The Book. In fact, the only complaint I have about The Book is the internet function. It is VERY slow, and you are pretty limited to what sites you can go to. It's good for looking something up on Google or Wikipedia and downloading books, but not much else. I tried to get movies from my Netflix account, and I can get to the site, but it will not let me sign in. But if you really want to download from the ebooksmedia store here are the instructions:

3 Easy Steps To Buy Books On Your Augen eReader

Step 1

A)Click WIFI
B)Enable network
C)Select your network name
D)You are now connected to the internet

Step 2

A)Click DRM register
B)Create an Adobe ID by entering a valid email address in the Adobe ID field
C)Create a password by inputing in the password field
D)Click Activate

Step 3

A)Select buy books
B)Add the ebook to cart
C)Download the ebook
D)Enjoy TheBook™ By Augen

You might also check with your local library. A lot of them are now offering a borrow and ebook program via the library's website. I live in Ohio and our public library's are linked to the Ohio ebook Project. I can log in with my local library card and download books in several different formats.
firedragon is offline   Reply With Quote