Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Page number oddity

I'm reading the Jo Walton story downloaded from tor.com, using the small font size.

Page 1 of 10 is the cover. Page 2 of 10 is an illustration. Page 3 of 10 starts the story. When I press the page forward button, I get the next page of text but the bottom of the screen still says 3 of 10. When I press page forward again it advances the text and the bottom of the screen says 3-4 of 10. The next page forward says 4-5 of 10, then 5 of 10, then 5-6 of 10.
It actually took 16 page turns for what the reader says is 10 pages.

Also, I'm used to seeing the total number of pages increase if I increase the font size. This stayed at __ of 10 regardless of which size I used.

What is the reader counting as a "page"? Is this an epub issue? Is there any way to tell how long a story is since the number of "pages" doesn't match how many page turns it will take to read it?

(I liked the story BTW )
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Is the file a PDF? And if it is, have you zoomed?

If so, this is how PDFs are reformatted. It's odd, but there it is.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When reading an EPUB file w/o an explicit page map (i.e., most of them) AdobeDE will label every internal file boundary and every 1k of content within a file a "page." This means "page" is unrelated to "screen full of text," but keeps page numbers the same regardless of font size.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Sorry, I should have put more information.

It's not a PDF. Tor's download options are PDF, Mobipocket, HTML, and epub. Since I have a Sony 505 I chose epub. The formatting is good. The text is flowing normally. It's not displaying partial screens the way PDFs do when you reach the end of a page. (That is so frustrating.) I wouldn't have known it wasn't .lrf from reading. It's just the page count that threw me. Especially when the number indicated it was spanning two pages and there was no obvious page break in the text.

Llasram (or anyone else), what is an internal file boundary? Is that what made the cover one page and the illustration one page? One "page"="1K of text" gives me a basis for estimating the length of a story or book. Thanks!
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
Laserjock
Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-350; PRS-505RC; iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia103 View Post
(I liked the story BTW )
Being a pragmatist, I would suggest ignoring the page numbers and continue to enjoy the story.

-Laserjock-
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert