Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-31-2016, 03:52 PM   #466
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)

I don't mean to call people names, but I just want to clarify, that I merely want to point out that actions have consequences, and using software produced by unscrupulous people for whatever reason, once you know it is unscrupulous, is essentially vindicating them.
And he certainly knows now, and therefore I heavily encourage him to stop using them.

If someone knows all this beforehand, and still buys the unscrupulous software, it is additionally a tacit approval of their source code theft.
If they found out about it afterward, and keep using it, that is not necessarily the case... although it could be viewed as retroactive approval.

I have no way of knowing which is the case here, so I meant to limit myself to disapproval of continuing from now on, to use Epubor.
I seem to have inadvertently overshot that goal...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:15 AM   #467
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@poxalew: As far as I know 4 years ago, WebKit had no support for hyphenation.
Hyphenation was added in WebKit way back in July of 2010. It may or may not be enabled by default in the GTK versions, and they may or may not provide a hyphenation dictionary with those versions, but the capability is there, because Safari has supported it since somewhere around that time (with the -webkit-hyphens vendor-prefixed property).

Oh, dear. I just responded to a post in this thread that was from almost a year ago. My bad. Feel free to delete this post.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2016, 03:12 AM   #468
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast
maximalmobi7 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle paperwhite 2, and android tablet 10.1 with Kindle app
from calibre I converted my epub format book into rb format then pick the rb format input to the kfx format output then converted it, that seems to keep it from getting that
Conversion Errors from kfx format, if I tried the epub format to kfx format I keep getting Conversion Errors problem, but no errors going from RB format to kfx format, I hope this helps in any case.

It seems to work best if I convert an epub format into the rb format, then selecting the rb format to kfx format, that seems to of gotten me past the converting bugs that happen when you try epub to kfx format, it keep crashing with the Conversion Errors, but when it took the rb format and converted it to epub in the process of outputting it to kfx format it seem to of gotten no conversion errors, at least that worked for one ebook so far, I hope that helps if some people keep getting Conversion Errors like me, I am just playing with the format of kfx format since its so new, it seem like an fun thing to try for ebooks on my kindle paperwhite 2 device, to see if they really look better than normal azw3 formats or not. I hope this information helps , it seems once you convert it to the rb format it removes any errors you may have with an epub to kfx format, again it seems to make the epub more compatible when first converting it to rb format from epub format, then selecting in caliber the rb format as the input then the kfx format as the output format under calibre again I hope this helps users who are having the problems with Conversion Errors from kfx format. I got some errors that the main page doesn't even show with epub format to kfx format, that's why I was trying to find an easy way to make most of my ebooks into kfx format it check it out in any case.

the only thing I need to work on is getting the thumbnail image showing up, and the font size correctly set in the kfx format since I need to set the font right under rb format , also I had to manually copy the kfx format to my kindle paperwrite 2 device, since the calibre cannot transfer both thumbnail image or kfx format to the device yet, I guess that because the format is too new, and they have not made an transfer mode yet for the ebooks, otherwise the ebook file seems to load fine under the device, I think the an extracting zip plugin for the thumbnail option I have yet to try the plugin yet, otherwise my method of converting the files seems to work.

Last edited by maximalmobi7; 09-27-2016 at 03:22 AM. Reason: notice theirs no transfer option for kfx format under calibre yet.
maximalmobi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:30 AM   #469
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast

I may of misunderstand the last post I thought it was an plugin for calibre but I think I was wrong, in any case, I have to try the python command manually or find another way to place the thumbnail under the device hard drive. like see if the thumbnails for mobi and azw3 work for the kfx format or not. I have to play around if it, in any case I hope calibre is updated at some point to support thumbnail and kfx format tranfering in the future versions of it.

from page 5 here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=272407&page=5

so the extract_cover_thumbs modified for kfxmeta plugin, I was not able to import the zip file since it was not an plugin for calibre like I was thinking at first it was, if anything, the ebook is easy to put on the device, I just have to figure out how to place the thumbnail image their for kfx format, otherwise it seems to work without an thumbnail, but I would prefer to be able to load one if I can figure it out, any help about the thumbnail, or when calibre be updated to transfer the kfx format and thumbnail for it too, also calibre has an plugin for x-ray files, but I don't think the new kfx format supports that feature as far as I can tell.

one last thing if I understand it right the thumbnail has something to do with its support of ASIN of the KFX file created when converted, I just have to make sure it matches the information under calibre, and see if it generates an thumbnail then or not, again I am new to the kfx format plugin under calibre. so I have to experiment and see if I can get the thumbnail to be included in the file or not.

to not get the error below when converting from epub format to RB format into kfx format, make sure your source from epub format to rb format, has under structure detection the box label insert metadata as page of start of book that feature needs to be uncheck at all times when going from epub format to rb format, also needs to be unchecked when converting from rb format to kfx format, otherwise you will get the error below, I was able to convert my ebook once I made sure that feature was not selected in calibre.

Error(YJConvValidator):E120013: Data table found in the book

Last edited by maximalmobi7; 09-27-2016 at 04:55 AM. Reason: fix error need option turned off when converting from epub to rb to kfx formats
Old 09-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #470
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast

so I want to point out if you rename the file.kfx format extension to file.azw8 extension it seems to be able to load it the file kfx in Kindle Previewer 3 if it thinks its an azw8 file.

also I was playing with converting files to kepub format then to LRF format removed a few fonts in under styling tab I used a few of the filter style information which can remove fonts , padding etc..
in any case then I converted from LRF back to azw3 and also tried epub then to kfx format, that seems to work too if you play around with it to get it to convert to kfx without errors but you do have to play around with the settings in convert tab in calibre a bit, I hope that helps, since at one point I had fonts in an ebook I didn't want so I removed them, also I think converting to LRF first helps remove some stuff that can crash the kfx plugin , also used kepub since I was trying the other one that has features like kfx ,

again the only way to load kfx format into Kindle Previewer 3 is to rename the file to azw8 format. I guess it seems that azw8 is like the kfx format since once in kfx and rename it seems kindle previewer likes that file extension for kfx format to be in an azw8 container or at least it thinks that what it is I guess.
Advert
Old 10-19-2016, 03:45 AM   #471
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
KFX format entered Manga world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFogN0fMBAo

Better pinch zoom and ultra fast page changing is available only in KFX version of book. AZW3 version (Download & transfer via USB) don't have this options.

This sucks.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 10-19-2016 at 03:49 AM.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #472
fardeenah
Connoisseur
fardeenah began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
KFX format entered Manga world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFogN0fMBAo

Better pinch zoom and ultra fast page changing is available only in KFX version of book. AZW3 version (Download & transfer via USB) don't have this options.

This sucks.
any way to convert the manga in kfx?
fardeenah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #473
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Sure. Publish it on Amazon :-)

I'm not aware about any other way.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:40 PM   #474
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Starting with version 1.19, Kindle for PC will download books in KFX format and display them with enhanced typesetting.

The various files that make up the KFX format are all present, but named differently compared with an e-ink Kindle. Here is the same book after downloading to both platforms.

Kindle Paperwhite 2:
  • Perfect State (Kindle Single)_B00UZSTXL4.kfx (encrypted main container)
  • Perfect State (Kindle Single)_B00UZSTXL4.sdr/assets/voucher (DRM voucher)
  • Perfect State (Kindle Single)_B00UZSTXL4.sdr/assets/metadata.kfx (metadata container)
  • Perfect State (Kindle Single)_B00UZSTXL4.sdr/assets/attachables/CR!AX7PNNAM616C90FBFYKZ53GVC0QK.kfx (resource container)

Kindle for PC 1.19:
  • B00UZSTXL4_EBOK/amzn1.drm-voucher.v1.cd614ffd-319f-4b9e-99b7-238c6fe78f1e.voucher (DRM voucher)
  • B00UZSTXL4_EBOK/B00UZSTXL4_EBOK.azw (encrypted main container)
  • B00UZSTXL4_EBOK/CR!6AS14VN94H79K68RG9EKT09T41N0.azw.res (resource container)
  • B00UZSTXL4_EBOK/CR!SNRJN8W7KX07Z8MVGN4AMWXSFR3E.azw.md (metadata container)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #475
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now is the time if anyone can handle KFX so we can convert it something else as well as strip any sort of DRM and/or encryption since the latest version of Kindle for PC download KFX. For those of us without a hardware Kindle, this means that when Amazon forces this version on us, I (and others) will no longer be able to purchase from Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:59 PM   #476
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now is the time if anyone can handle KFX so we can convert it something else as well as strip any sort of DRM and/or encryption since the latest version of Kindle for PC download KFX. For those of us without a hardware Kindle, this means that when Amazon forces this version on us, I (and others) will no longer be able to purchase from Amazon.
Buy an old Kindle like a K4 off eBay. It will never support the new format. I have a K3 and a PW1 I will holding on to those now.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #477
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Buy an old Kindle like a K4 off eBay. It will never support the new format. I have a K3 and a PW1 I will holding on to those now.

Sent from my XT1528
The problem is that buying off of eBay, you have no idea if it's already registered or blacklisted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #478
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Blossom is of course correct. I have a Kindle Keyboard and a Paperwhite 1 which I have no intention of parting with.

Even if kfx is reverse engineered and drm removal is possible, I expect it may not happen for some time. A significant period of pain is likely. I doubt Amazon will lose enough sales to make them re-consider, though we can only hope. Personally I will try to buy more elsewhere, but some of my favourite Indies are of course Amazon only.

Good luck.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:15 PM   #479
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
It's not even about DRM removal for me. I won't buy a book with DRM. It's the fact that I can't do a thing with my NON DRM books. If I can't get a convertible format from Amazon, I'll be going elsewhere. I've already started buying a lot from Google Play Books as they seem to have a large selection of DRM free books. I've seen quite a few that have DRM at Amazon are DRM free at Google.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:02 PM   #480
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyegeek View Post
It's not even about DRM removal for me. I won't buy a book with DRM. It's the fact that I can't do a thing with my NON DRM books. If I can't get a convertible format from Amazon, I'll be going elsewhere. I've already started buying a lot from Google Play Books as they seem to have a large selection of DRM free books. I've seen quite a few that have DRM at Amazon are DRM free at Google.
If Google Play doesn't like your IP address. You lose access to those books. Make sure to download and backup as you buy. I learned the hard way. I had to get a new IP address because Google Play insisted I was out of the country all of sudden..

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote