Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
jcallaway
jcallaway began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Syntax for nesting functions in program mode

Hi, I'm trying to create a Save to Disk template that will modify author_sort in two ways:
1) Return only the first author
2) Remove any periods (so that they aren't converted to underscores).

For example, given a book with authors Philip K. Dick & Roger Zelazny I want to return Dick, Philip K

I have each modification working on it's own in single-function mode:
1) {author_sort:re(\.,)} returns Dick, Philip K & Zelazny, Roger
2) {author_sort:sublist(0,1,&)} returns Dick, Philip K_

But I'm having trouble with the syntax for nesting the re() and sublist() functions to make them work together. I've tried a lot of variations along the lines of:
{author_sort:'sublist(re($,\.,),0,1,&)'} or {author_sort:'re(sublist($,0,1,&),\.,)'}

But I always get Invalid Input or Incorrect Number of Arguments errors. I'm not very familiar with the syntax, so I know that I don't really know when I need to escape characters or add whitespace, whether the nesting order matters, etc. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
jcallaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You must choose one of single-function mode, template program mode, or general program mode. The syntax is different for each of the three.

For example, your template
Code:
{author_sort:'sublist(re($,\.,),0,1,&)'} or {author_sort:'re(sublist($,0,1,&),\.,)'}
is in template program mode where all string constants must be quoted. It should be written something like
Code:
{author_sort:'sublist(re($, '\.', ''),0,1,'&')'}
or
Code:
{author_sort:'re(sublist($,0,1,'&'), '\.', '')'}

Last edited by chaley; 08-20-2012 at 03:16 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
jcallaway
jcallaway began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
That worked perfectly! That's a lot for the quick info.
jcallaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nesting, strip, template