Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Videos

When I go to some sites with videos and click on them, the Vox gives me a choice to watch using Kobo's Gallery Movies or ES Media Player. Originally it didn't use either of these, but played them directly (flash?) like my desktop computer does. When it started using these media players, it would play full screen (landscape) but now these players only play a small landscape screen with the device in portrait mode. How can I get the Vox back to playing videos full screen in landscape mode?
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Hello! Anybody out there? It's been a couple of weeks since I posted. Any ideas? Has anyone tried installing Flash so you can watch videos in the browser instead of an app with a tiny cell-phone-like screen?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
oldyellr
Evangelist

Okay, nobody has any suggestions, so here's what I've found out on my own (just in case anyone still reads this forum). I went to Google Play and found Photon Flash Browser, hoping it would play flash videos directly from websites. Don't waste your time on this. The app is incredibly slow and klunky, needs you to turn on Flash when you feel you need it and basically didn't work with the Vox.

But then I discovered something else. I always had auto-rotate screen turned off in my display settings and my browser set to landscape. When I turn auto-rotate ON, then flash videos in my browser still tell me to choose ES or Gallery viewer, but play in landscape mode instead of a small screen in portrait mode. The one glitch is that sometimes my browser displays upside-down in landscape mode, such as when selecting more settings with the menu button. I also can't leave it in auto-rotate mode because then when I'm reading a book in Aldiko, the Table of Contents comes up in landscape mode even though the reader is set to portrait.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Hello! Anybody out there? It's been a couple of weeks since I posted. Any ideas? Has anyone tried installing Flash so you can watch videos in the browser instead of an app with a tiny cell-phone-like screen?
Just want you to know that we here and reading what you have to say, but, noting you are an evangelist, so we are just a bit hesitant in responding. As to Flash and when it works and when it doesn't is a mystery.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-28-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
oldyellr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
Just want you to know that we here and reading what you have to say, but, noting you are an evangelist, so we are just a bit hesitant in responding
LOL! I'm an evangelist because I've posted often, asking questions, not necessarily providing answers.

Anyway, I think I found a solution by enabling auto-rotation to play videos so they appear in landscape mode. Sometimes the landscape comes out upside-down, but I don't suppose anyone cares anymore since the Vox is obsolete. However, I have no good reason to "upgrade" to something else, because it still works great for me.