Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
CCLady
Enthusiast
CCLady has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle1, Kindle 3 wi-fi 3G, Kindle basic, Kindle Fire
Unhappy My library is corrupted.

All of a sudden, after 1,200 books, I get a message that the library is corrupted. It goes through the 3 steps to restore, then gives me this message:

calibre, version 0.8.59
ERROR: Failed: Restoring database failed, click Show details to see details

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\restore.py", line 116, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\library\restore.py", line 279, in replace_db
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

Is there anything I can do, other than start over?
CCLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLady View Post
All of a sudden, after 1,200 books, I get a message that the library is corrupted. It goes through the 3 steps to restore, then gives me this message:

calibre, version 0.8.59
ERROR: Failed: Restoring database failed, click Show details to see details

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\restore.py", line 116, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\library\restore.py", line 279, in replace_db
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

Is there anything I can do, other than start over?
Was the above the contents of the 'Show details'?

BTW Some OTHER program is accessing a file. be sure to:
1: Do a Cold reboot (not a resume from a sleep.
2: Stop the content server (if running)
3: exclude the Calibre Library folder from Anti-virus scans
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
CCLady
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Was the above the contents of the 'Show details'?

BTW Some OTHER program is accessing a file. be sure to:
1: Do a Cold reboot (not a resume from a sleep.
2: Stop the content server (if running)
3: exclude the Calibre Library folder from Anti-virus scans

Yes, this is what I got under 'Show Details'. I will do a cold boot and get my resident geek help me with numbers 2 and 3.

Thank you for such a prompt reply - I'll report back tomorrow with the results.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
One more for theduck's list: 4) if your library is being shared by dropbox or something equivalent, turn it off temporarily.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
One more for theduck's list: 4) if your library is being shared by dropbox or something equivalent, turn it off temporarily.
Good catch. (I don't use Off-Prem data storage)
I would make your suggestion the #2 and push down my others
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
CCLady
Enthusiast

I turned the computer off and left it off all night and today. Took the thumb drive with the library out before starting up. Only program running was Chrome (downloading the newest Calibre. I don't use dropbox or anything like it, don't share the library with any other programs or users. It just lives on the thumb drive.

Opened the program, asked to use the library, says corrupted, goes through the 3 steps again...and comes back with the same error message.

Sigh.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Are you properly *ejecting* your USB before you remove the thumb drive? Or just pulling it out? Because it sounds like the latter and the OS has not yet flushed its cache of files to it.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
CCLady
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Are you properly *ejecting* your USB before you remove the thumb drive? Or just pulling it out? Because it sounds like the latter and the OS has not yet flushed its cache of files to it.
I didn't remove the drive until after I had shut the computer down. Should I have ejected it and removed it before I shut it down?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I didn't remove the drive until after I had shut the computer down. Should I have ejected it and removed it before I shut it down?
Shutting down the computer would flush the cache and yes, it's OK to then pull out the drive after the computer is off. But one thing to try, copy the library to a hard drive and try again.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Another thing you can try: use the command line version of restore. This method ensures that no part of calibre (content server, etc) can accidentally have the replacement DB open.

The documentation is at http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/...store-database.

A quick synopsis, assuming that the correct library is chosen when you start calibre. If you are using calibre portable or if you are using environment variables, the following won't work. It also probably won't help if the problem is caused by some program other than calibre (e.g., an antivirus program or something else) holding the database open, although it might because the timing is very different.

1) open a command box. One way to do this is Start -> Run. Type cmd and press return.
2) type "calibredb restore_database --really-do-it" (without the quotes).
3) watch the messages go by while you wait ...
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
the error message suggest a locked file - google & try a free utility like unlocker
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
CCLady
Enthusiast

I have not been able to try anything for the past few days.....I tried copying the file to the hard drive...no change. Chaley and cybmole, I'm afraid I don't understand what you're suggesting - it's way above my tech knowledge.

I did try starting with a fresh install of Calibre, and when the blank library came up, I connected the Kindle that has the most books on it and said to add books from the device. It seems to have done that, and I think I've got the plugboard set up properly. I can't figure out how to save the new library. I ejected the Kindle, and now I can see the list of books, but can't seem to get it to save the library.

Sorry to be so dense. . .
Old 07-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The fresh install - blank library should have become your saved library as soon as you added books- that happens automatically, you just now need to find "where" it was saved to, if you want to take a copy.
(if you select switch/create library you will see a "your library is currently located at... line at top of pop up screen)
Old 07-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
CCLady
Enthusiast

Ok, I found it. It has about 1/3 of the books, but it's a start.

Now just one more problem. I had the old one set up to show my books thusly:

Marple -01 - Murder at the Vicarage
Marple -02 - The Body in the Library

and so forth. I know I have to put the instructions in a plugboard, but I can't seem to get the proper syntax or punctuation (VERY embarrassing for an English major). A little more help, if you don't mind?
Old 07-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #15
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Ok, I found it. It has about 1/3 of the books, but it's a start.
you should be able to rescue some or all of the others.

select add books from calibre menu and tell it to use the old, corrupt library location. the books should still be intact & recoverable, ( it's only the database information that is corrupt)

i think you want the 2nd drop down option when you click the down arrow next to add books icon. it should ask you what to do about duplicates as it finds them - it should find duplicates as you say you have 1/3rd of the books already.

the other, slower way to do this is to browse to where the old library is, using windows explorer, then drop and drag each book, as you find it, onto the main calibre window. that action causes calibre to add that book to new library

I can't advise on the plugboard stuff, but I'm sure someone else will help.

PS once you have recovered as many books as possible - make a backup!