Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #46
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
As far as the app store goes, Amazon should learn the lesson of Archos, SlideMe, etc. Put out your own tablet with 1/10th or even 1/2 of the apps on the Android Market, and it's not going anywhere.
You can get access to the Android market on Archos, but it works just fine with the limited number of apps that you have access to out of the box.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #47
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Mine's rooted too, although I'm working on doing the thing where you put the Android OS on the micro SD card instead so I don't have to mess around with trying to avoid Barnes firmware updates that break the root. It still isn't quite a full fledged tablet though.
Once you put CM7 on it does become a full fledged tablet. It is just as cable as an iPad. And comes close the Tab.

Quote:
I think Amazon has lost their mind because I can't see any way for the rumored Amazon tablet to distinguish itself....
I think you seriously underestimate the power of branding, that alone is enough.

But even if you don't buy that argument here is some more info. Amazon has released a press release a few months back. They are working on a tablet optimized Kindle App. They have released an App store and cloud storage.

Quote:
The ecosystem makes Amazon's position in the tablet world a little better. I'll admit that much. But I think it's a mistake to look at Amazon's App Store like it's serious competition to the Android Market (let alone Apple's App Store).
That's what I thought at first, but guess what Amazon has been doing since they released the appstore. They have been giving away one free app a day. I now own more apps from the Amazon store than I do on the Google Market. You think I'm going to do away with the app store anytime soon? Their pulling an Microsoft a la 3.1 before you know it the appstore will be a must.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #48
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I think you seriously underestimate the power of branding, that alone is enough.
How many examples do we have of something with an Amazon tablet selling like hotcakes? I can only think of one, unless you divide the Kindle devices up and call them all different successes (which I think would be a mistake). One success isn't a lot to build on. Add to that the fact that when Amazon went into the e-reader business, it was a pretty small field. You don't have that with tablets. Apple is the 1600lb gorilla, and whatever fight Amazon still has left in them after that can be taken up by B&N, RIM, Archos, or even HP. And except for B&N, that's not even counting the Android tablets that are going to flood the market at all kinds of price points. Essentially, Amazon will be swimming with sharks, covered in blood.

Quote:
But even if you don't buy that argument here is some more info. Amazon has released a press release a few months back. They are working on a tablet optimized Kindle App. They have released an App store and cloud storage.
All of that is wonderful, and they can take advantage of it without selling a single tablet. All they need to do is to allow other tablets into those portals, and they'll make boatloads of money.

Quote:
That's what I thought at first, but guess what Amazon has been doing since they released the appstore. They have been giving away one free app a day. I now own more apps from the Amazon store than I do on the Google Market. You think I'm going to do away with the app store anytime soon? Their pulling an Microsoft a la 3.1 before you know it the appstore will be a must.

=X=
Giving away free apps is nothing special. How many free apps are already on the Android Market, Apple's App Store, HP's App Catalog, etc.? Highlighting one free app a day doesn't suddenly make the Amazon App Store huge. They need apps, and lots of them. If they can't at least have parity with the Android Market, the Amazon App Store is not a lot different from SlideMe, the Archos App Store, or any of the half dozen or so other alternative Android app stores.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #49
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I think Amazon has lost their mind because I can't see any way for the rumored Amazon tablet to distinguish itself.
For one thing the AFFS screen from Hydis is supposed to be readable in full sunlight. That is in the very least intriguing.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #50
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For one thing the AFFS screen from Hydis is supposed to be readable in full sunlight. That is in the very least intriguing.
It depends on how readable it is. I can read from my cell phone screen outside, if I crank up the brightness. From what I'm reading, AFFS has a wider viewing angle than IPS, but I'm not reading anything about less glare. I don't see anything about it having a different reflective quality than IPS.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #51
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Cue video and audio in ebooks. Or don't, I'll stick with my eink thank you very much.
Amazon already sell eBooks with audio and video, but they only work in the Kindle reading apps, not on actual Kindle devices.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #52
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
This discussion seems to be focusing entirely on the US market. What about the international market? Does anyone know how well the nook does outside the USA?

Obviously, both Amazon and Apple are global brands. I would think that would be a factor in Amazon's planning.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #53
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I wouldn't give up my Kindle for reading but I'm definitely in the market for a solid mid-range tablet.
Yeah, that's why this is exciting, especially if you're outside the USA and can't get a nook easily. I certainly won't be giving up my eInk reader for books, but would like a cheap and capable LCD tablet - I'm guessing that Amazon will be pricing this down at the same level as the nook (or less).
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #54
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Given that the Nook is not sold outside of the US, it does not do all that well. There are ways of gettings Nooks outside of the US but they require a bit more extra leg work.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #55
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
Quote:
From what I'm reading, AFFS has a wider viewing angle than IPS, but I'm not reading anything about less glare.
Glare isn't caused by the screen itself. It's the coating of the glass that they put in front of the screen. TN, IPS, FFS, it doesn't make a difference.

Now about that FFS screen. The only way it could be more comfortable for reading than other screen is if it emits less light for the same result. I personally didn't find any information about that.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #56
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'm highly skeptical. It's still backlit LCD right? I don't know what better viewing angle gives you: I've never been bothered by the viewing angle on my iPad (IPS panel).

I think the amazon tablet will succeed based on branding alone. If you like amazon and want an android tablet, why not, assuming it has good specs and pricing, which it will. A product doesn't have to be groundbreaking to be successful.

Last edited by Barty; 05-10-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #57
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I'm highly skeptical. It's still backlit LCD right? I don't know what better viewing angle gives you: I've never been bothered by the viewing angle on my iPad (IPS panel).

I think the amazon tablet will succeed based on branding alone. If you like amazon and want an android tablet, why not, assuming it has good specs and pricing, which it will. A product doesn't have to be groundbreaking to be successful.
I have no idea if it's 'all that' or not (could be a bunch of bull), just that some of the info out there is intriguing...

From the mfg...
Quote:
Technological Features of AFFS:

Improved internal reflection ensures greater outdoor readability
Special embossed resin layer on gate area enhances inner reflectance
BMless pixel structure enables high transmittance and high aperture ratio
Reflective polarizer lowers surface reflectance and minimizes light scattering
Control of external and internal light coming from the back light or color filter lowers power consumption
Quote:
In response to the needs of the times and to the continued demand for more advanced products, HYDIS has further developed its AFFS technology into AFFS+, a technology that offers lower power consumption, improved transmission of color and images, and impressive internal LCD panel reflection, thus guaranteeing perfect readability even under the brightest sunlight. Viewiz+ is the label given to products using AFFS+ technology.
Quote:
AFFS improves upon the IPS horizontally aligned field by creating an electric fringe enabling high transmittance and wide viewing angle.
...and yes, it will likely be successful just because it's from Amazon (as long as they don't royally screw up somehow which I doubt).
Old 05-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #58
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
I found this about the AFFS+ technology : http://www.motioncomputing.com/choos...splay2_J34.htm
Sounds interesting on paper.

Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #59
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Sounds interesting on paper.
Yes. Could be total junk in reality, but I'd really like to see it in action.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #60
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Having used a Motion Tablet PC in full sunlight, it's definitely useable where a normal LCD is not.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, color tablets, kindle