Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Got my jbl today and here are my first observations and issues

I have a Kindle 1 and next to it, it feels very small. I actually bought it for my hubby and I hope it will not feel too fragile to him. If so, guess we will have to swap readers.
As I had asked about it before and promised to report back on what firmware was on the jbl, it came with v15 patch already installed.
I do have an issue. I bought my jbl from Newegg, and I am a little puzzled by something. The return address is from RMA Warehouse in Wittier, CA. Doesn't RMA stand for Returned Merchandise Authorization? Is this as returned unit? If so, I am not happy about that! I purchased it expecting to get a new reader. I intend to call tomorrow and find out. If I decide to box it up and return it, I will have to pay return postage and possibly a restocking fee. Not especially happy about this.
Thanks for letting me vent.
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Does the NewEgg invoice describe the item you ordered as "Refurbished"?
There are normally separate item numbers for "Refurbisihed" items. Does
the item number on the invoice match the item number for your order?

I think all the JBL are on "Patch: v15". You want to check what "Software:"
version is listed. The current is "Software: v0.15".

Check in "Settings">"System Settings">"Firmware Version".

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 01:50 AM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by clerky96 View Post
I have a Kindle 1 and next to it, it feels very small. I actually bought it for my hubby and I hope it will not feel too fragile to him. If so, guess we will have to swap readers.
As I had asked about it before and promised to report back on what firmware was on the jbl, it came with v15 patch already installed.
I do have an issue. I bought my jbl from Newegg, and I am a little puzzled by something. The return address is from RMA Warehouse in Wittier, CA. Doesn't RMA stand for Returned Merchandise Authorization? Is this as returned unit? If so, I am not happy about that! I purchased it expecting to get a new reader. I intend to call tomorrow and find out. If I decide to box it up and return it, I will have to pay return postage and possibly a restocking fee. Not especially happy about this.
Thanks for letting me vent.
yes, you have a newest firmware with support for eReader DRMed books.
When I received new unit from NewEgg the returned label had the same address in CA. I think you have no reason to worry about it.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
From some other forum I found:

09-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Newegg Support
Profile Joined: Jan 2006

Re: Newegg? RMA Warehouse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaarjMaster
Just ordered a couple things from Newegg and they came in today with an RMA Warehouse return address but it seems to be the same one associated with Newegg. What I ordered was not part of any RMA process. Anyone know the story with this?

Dear SkaarjMaster,

We truly apologize for any inconvenience. What happens in this situation is this.. Anytime a customer refuses an order it comes directly back to our RMA warehouse or if a customer gets an order and returns the item without opening the item it also comes back to our RMA warehouse. We then either ship the item from our RMA warehouse or send it to the appropriate warehouse where that item is stocked for shipping. So you are actually getting a new retail item. Unless ofcourse, there was an error by our shipping department and they shipped you a used item. Which usually does not happen because we do have our quality control department check the order before it is shipped. If for some reason you need further assistance in this issue, please contact me at alex.a.villarino@newegg.com or by telephone at 800-390-1119 ext 25040.
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
clerky96
Connoisseur

Thanks. It sounds like I have nothing to worry about. The invoice doesn't say "refurbished". Hubby thinks he is going to like the reader. I, of course, am the one learning how to work it; hubby is "electronics challenged" and only wants to read on it. LOL
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Truth

What they are saying is the truth.

I have gotten computer components from Whittier, CA that were in the original shrink wrap and were obviously never opened.

These could be items that were ordered for Christmas and returned for credit on some other purchase at the estore. All returns to them have to go to this address even if it was included with an order as a mistake.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:17 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by clerky96 View Post
Thanks. It sounds like I have nothing to worry about. The invoice doesn't say "refurbished". Hubby thinks he is going to like the reader. I, of course, am the one learning how to work it; hubby is "electronics challenged" and only wants to read on it. LOL
Hubby might like the Harry Dersden series by Jim Butcher.
Harry was "electronics challenged", as well.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
clerky96
Connoisseur

Thanks Ken. I'll look those up.
I tend to be the "electronics junkie" in the house, and if I were rich I would have everything new that comes out. I will have to say that I have enjoyed my Kindle 1 immensly and hope he enjoys the jbl as much.

Last edited by clerky96; 02-05-2010 at 09:39 AM.