Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
iptech
iptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-600
Sony UK Warranty Service

Hi all,

Until recently I was a very satisfied owner of a PRS-505 bought the day they were released in the UK last year.

I used the reader every day, mostly for news feeds but also for leisure and work-related reading so it was being used around 2 hours per day. Anyway, a couple of weeks back after a bit of bedtime reading I place the device on the bedside table as usual - all working fine then. However when I switched the device on in the morning the screen did not fully display the text. Looking through previous threads on here it seems others have had similar problems with theirs.

The unit is still under warranty so I contacted Sony in the UK to arrange what I thought would be a straightforward warranty claim, the guy I spoke to on the phone from Sony gave me no indication otherwise. Ten days after carefully packaging the unit in a 4" deep cardboard box protected inside by foam (the type of box used to transports computer hard disks) I receive a receipt from Sony Central Services on which they state the item was received in a Jiffy bag and the the left, right, front, bottom, back sides were scratched and the top casing was damaged. No I acknowledge that after nine months regular usage the device might not be pristine, but there were no obviously visible scratches and the devices has always been used in Sony's soft leather case.

This morning I receive a phone call from Sony Service saying because the unit was damaged the repair would be chargeable. I said I did not understand their condition report and the item was sent well packaged in a proper transport box, not a Jiffy bag as stated. The representative told me that the term 'padded Jiffy bag' was general term and she confirmed that the unit was received in a box which was undamaged. She said that the service department said the damage was symptomatic of the device being dropped - it never has been. I then advised that I had taken a couple of photographs of the device showing the screen problem and just before I sent it off for repair that I would be happy to forward onto them.She then said she would refer the matter back to the service department for consideration and she would call me back to let me know what their decision was.

My question is, has anyone else had similar problems with Sony Service Central in Pencoed, South Wales as if this repair is not resolved quickly and under warranty I shall be referring the matter to the local Consumer Protection department. To add to my annoyance the Service Centre at Pencoed is just three miles from my home, so had they allowed it I could have taken the unit to them personally.

iptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Hmmm

That looks a little too "straight" (all squares and 45 degree angles) to be a broken substrate.

Compare it to the picture in the first page here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=broken+screen
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
iptech
iptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura about

Well I had a phone call from Sony this afternoon, they apologise for the 'mistake' and my PRS-505 will be repaired under warranty. I can't wait to get it back I've really missed that little gadget. Shame the ereader experience is spoiled by dodgy aftersales service.

We need more ereader competition in the UK to gets these guys to focus their act on the customer.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iptech View Post
Well I had a phone call from Sony this afternoon, they apologise for the 'mistake' and my PRS-505 will be repaired under warranty. I can't wait to get it back I've really missed that little gadget.
I'm glad that it will come to a good end for you. In europe they can't just say "it's your fault, you will have to pay for it" - they must prove it. Hopefully you will get your device back soon.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iptech View Post
I can't wait to get it back I've really missed that little gadget. Shame the ereader experience is spoiled by dodgy aftersales service.
I'm glad that worked out for you. I had to send my PRS-505 back for warranty service this past December, the good thing was that I just purchased a Kindle 1 less then a month prior. It worked out very well because it gave me a chance to use the Kindle exclusively after owning the PRS-505 exclusively for 11 months. Sony did not fix the problem, 2 weeks later a new PRS-505 was waiting for me by front door. That's right, they replaced it, instead of fixing it!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 04:44 AM   #6
iptech

Well my PRS-505 finally arrived back yesterday - nearly three weeks after being sent off.

I'm pleased to report that it's all now fixed and they didn't charge for it. There's no evidence of the scratches and case damage they initially reported, in fact the only discernible marks on the case are where it's rubbed against the protective case and there's a slight bit of finger wear to the navigation buttons. Incidentally it arrived back less well packaged than I sent it off, being just a bubble wrap envelope and crumpled paper.

I've sent off the feedback form that accompanied the reader on its return given bottom marks for satisfaction on the repair 'experience' and I certainly cannot recommend Sony products to my customers & friends based upon the poor warranty service I have received. It seems the service offered by Sony in the US is far more customer focused than it is in the UK.