Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #256
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
What she said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think a run-off is superfluous, too, but I hate to see poor sun surfer emasculated for the cause.
Sorry Sun Surfer!!!! What he said.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #257
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Jon had suggested doing away with the mandatory run-off polls in 2013 if we have multiple choice, and others thought it was a good idea, and I do too.

Since multiple choice gives everyone the freedom to choose what they want the first time around and will create larger majorities for the book that wins, it eliminates the main reasons we decided to use run-offs every month.

Doing away with them would also make things simpler for everyone and easier for Tom, and I think would get people even more invested in the first poll since it'd often be final.

So I propose doing away with the run-offs unless there is a tie.

And we could still put our 2012 way of doing run-offs to good use for resolving any 2013 ties - A shorter single-choice run-off for the tied winners, and if that ends in a tie then Tom's vote decides it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Or no run off vote, and WT Sharpe decides if there is a tie.

Or how about no run-off vote, and we have discussions on all the winners. I'm up for this.
So the poll question and answers to settle this should be what?

Since we will have multiple choice voting on the 2013 polls,
  • Keep the run off vote the way it is now.
  • Do away with the run off vote and let Tom cast the deciding vote in case of a tie.
  • Do away with the run off vote except in case of a tie. If the 2nd vote ties, Tom can cast the deciding vote.
  • Do away with the run off vote. In case of a tie, have discussions on all the winners.
Multiple voting on this poll?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #258
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

• Do away with the run off vote and let Tom cast the deciding vote in case of a tie.
  • Do away with the run off vote except in case of a tie. If the 2nd vote ties, Tom can cast the deciding vote.
  • Do away with the run off vote. In case of a tie, have discussions on all the winners.
I don't know, I think we need a Venn diagram to sort this out.

I would be happy with the first option and just let Tom cast the deciding vote in a tie. But bring on the poll.

Anyone else?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #259
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Poll = Yes & Multiple = Yes
Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #260
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
It all sounds good, but it seems that with those options, the option "Keep the Run-Off the way it is" should only win if it gets more votes than all three of the others combined, since the other three are all variations of the same option.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #261
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think a run-off is superfluous, too, but I hate to see poor sun surfer emasculated for the cause.
LOL!

Don't worry, my masculinity is secure.

Quote:
Sorry Sun Surfer!!!! What he said.
No problem. I'm glad my softer side shines sometimes.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #262
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The What should we do about the run-off poll in 2013? poll is up. It is visible & multiple choice and will run for 7 days.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #263
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Are there any rules about what books can be nominated besides the book fitting in to that month's category?
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #264
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaenSidhe View Post
Are there any rules about what books can be nominated besides the book fitting in to that month's category?
I can't think of any, but perhaps others could jump in and jog my memory. There are preferences, but no hard, fast rules I can think of. For example; if a member nominates a book that isn't available in an eBook format, or one that is only available to a few of the lucky members who live in particular regions, that book has a very slim chance of becoming fully nominated, and an even slimmer chance of winning that month's vote.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #265
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
I can't think of any, but perhaps others could jump in and jog my memory. There are preferences, but no hard, fast rules I can think of. For example; if a member nominates a book that isn't available in an eBook format, or one that is only available to a few of the lucky members who live in particular regions, that book has a very slim chance of becoming fully nominated, and an even slimmer chance of winning that month's vote.
What Tom said.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #266
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I might add that all members of MobileRead are welcome to participate in the nominations, voting, and discussions of both the MobileRead Book Club and the Literary Book Club. All you need to do to be a part of either club is show up.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #267
Nyssa
Series Addict

I knew I was forgetting something!!

Tom, would you be willing to open/start the discussion threads earlier than the 20th of the month?

It would give people who read the selections at the beginning of the month a chance to voice their feelings before they start forgetting the details. It would also allow for discussion and/or questions while we're reading instead of at the end..and we would basically have the whole month, which may encourage more people to participate.

I'm thinking maybe around the 7th or the 10th?
Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #268
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Tom, would you be willing to open/start the discussion threads earlier than the 20th of the month?

It would give people who read the selections at the beginning of the month a chance to voice their feelings before they start forgetting the details. It would also allow for discussion and/or questions while we're reading instead of at the end..and we would basically have the whole month, which may encourage more people to participate.

I like that idea too! Discussing the book without spoilers though, could be difficult.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #269
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookatarian View Post
I like that idea too! Discussing the book without spoilers though, could be difficult.
That idea has been bounced around here before. The problem is that many of the slower readers (1) don't wish to be accidentally exposed to spoilers and (2) don't like joining the discussions after all the most meaningful things have already been said. It's much easier for faster readers to wait until a few days before the 20th to begin reading the selection if they want it to be fresh in their minds than it is for the slower readers to speed up so they can keep up.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #270
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
That idea has been bounced around here before. The problem is that many of the slower readers (1) don't wish to be accidentally exposed to spoilers and (2) don't like joining the discussions after all the most meaningful things have already been said. It's much easier for faster readers to wait until a few days before the 20th to begin reading the selection if they want it to be fresh in their minds than it is for the slower readers to speed up so they can keep up.
Okay. I'm actually one of the slower readers, but sometimes have questions or things I'd like to discuss while reading..but I understand, and concede your points.