Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Unhappy Bad screen at my local Borders

Even though I do not plan on buying a Reader until they add a few features/fixes (like proper mac support), I cannot help looking them over. So, I was doing just that at my local Borders over the weekend, and I noticed a problem. The screen had a line of dead pixels (is that the term on an eInk screen?) running from top to bottom, just off center. I thought it was just a bad image, as the Reader was displaying a greyscale baby picture at the time, but the same problem showed when I switched to the menu, and then to an ebook.

I mentioned the issue to one of the staff who was stocking the deluxe covers, and he commented that this was the second machine to develop such a problem, though in a different part of the screen -- the previous problem had been near the right edge, and only really showed up in picture displays.

I hadn't read anything like this, here, so I thought I would toss this out and ask if anyone had seen any screen problems, and if so, how well was Sony handling it?

Thanks!
Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
There have been a few folks with reversed pixels, and one person with a line (have a look at the troubleshooting subforum for details).

The person with the line was overseas, if I recall correctly, and I don't think she contacted Sony about it, for that reason.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2006, 04:29 AM   #3
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
From what E-Ink says on their website, the manufacturing process for E-Ink screens is similar to producing LCD screens, so I would expect the quality control procedures to be similar. I remember reading in computer magazines where people wrote in about bad pixels on their LCD monitors, and it was explained that one or two bad pixels near the edges are deemed acceptable. The Reader screens are 1/4th the area, so each pixel matters more, and bad pixels are more noticeable. (I don't think Sony is manufacturing the screens, but I do wonder if/how the quality control procedure was changed for this product. Checking every single screen for dead pixels is probably cost-prohibitive.)
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:59 AM   #4
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I have also a stuck pixel but it is really not that noticeable.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moates
I don't think Sony is manufacturing the screens....
PVI and the company that iRex uses are the only folks making e-ink presently. Sony gets theirs from PVI.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert