Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #61
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
Yes I was aware that british law is quite a bit more restrictive in its copyright. I am glad they are not extending it though I feel 70 years is far far to great. I believe it should be life of author only unless its passed down to relatives (not corporate) then 70 years after death is fine.

I also believe FAIR USE (as defined in the US) should be permitted for non profit end user to end user (even fully copying) 5 years after commercial viability is no more ie when it is difficult to "buy" it in a store its commercial viability is gone.

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #62
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys
I CAN however RESELL those copies if I sell an ORIGINAL copy with each. so if I BUY an object and hack it up I can then SELL that copy. If I buy 10 CD's and make a Custom MIX set out of some of the songs on those disc you bet your butt I can sell that mix disc as long as I INCLUDE each disk I sourced it from WITH the "mix" disc. this is PERFECTLY LEGAL.
Actually, that's incorrect, by selling your mix disc, you are violating the copyright laws in the US (note this has nothing to do with property rights at all). Why, you ask? Simply because the album as a whole is registered as a single "work", and you, by creating a mix disk, are creating a "derivative work" based on the original work, which is illegal to distribute if you have not been given the rights to distribute derivative works by the copyright holder.

You're welcome to resell the original (although the recording, print, and movie industries at one point lobbied heavily to try restrict these rights too. they even wanted to make movie rental illegal, and CD rental _is_ illegal (Relevant law ), but you may not sell any derivative works without the original copyright holder's consent.

Note also that the copyright holder has "exclusive rights" to making photocopies of books. Even if you do not sell or distribute photocopies you make, you are still breaking the law just by making them.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #63
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
I believe thats incorrect. as long as I sell the originals WITH the new work its not considered a seperate derivative work.

in fact is specifically states in teh copyright law that I am allowed to backup copy transcode my works but if I "sell" the original I must also INCLUDE or DESTROY any copy's backups or derivatives I have from those originals Not is allows me to INCLUDE them not only destroy I can do either.

the law is pretty clear on that part at least in the USA it is.

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:59 PM   #64
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Yes, you may pass on the dreivative copies but you may not sell them without permission. In other words, you may only charge what is normal for a used copy of the CD without the additional material. In the US you own the physical medium and have a liscense for your use of the content on the medium.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote