Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #31
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Yeah, sneaky little devils that they are. That thought occured to me too when I browsed through their stuff ...
I actually downloaded them all knowing full well exactly why they had done it. I also like the pricing on their for purchase books as well. Which is why for every book I purchase from them I am going to send an email to the publisher and the author telling them I purchased it and why.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #32
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I actually downloaded them all knowing full well exactly why they had done it. I also like the pricing on their for purchase books as well. Which is why for every book I purchase from them I am going to send an email to the publisher and the author telling them I purchased it and why.
When you do come to buy, don't forget to take a look at the webscription month where the book was originally sold. You might well find more books in the month that you want - if a month has three books you want, you're up on the deal (generally $15 instead of $18), and you get another three free books or so.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #33
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
When I started working at the library in high school, I kept checking out books that I thought I wanted to read without considering whether I had time to read them. At one point I think I had 20 books at home that I had checked out! After I renewed some of them a couple of times, I decided that I really didn't need to keep so many books at once and dropped down to about three or four at a time.

Now that I buy books, instead of borrowing them, I still like to get about three or four books at once. Even before buying my reader, I'd go to the bookstore to buy one $15 paperback that I knew they would have and spend another $40 on three more books that I didn't know I wanted before I got there. With ebooks, I seem to not count the free ones and I end up with seven or eight books in my cart, although only four of them cost me money.

For 2010 I am trying to limit myself to "just in time" book purchases -- buying the one book I want to read. However, it is so difficult for me to do that I have found it easier to not buy any books at all.

I only regret one ebook purchase -- His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik -- and only because the price on it dropped before I took the time to read it. (If I had read it before it became a free book, it wouldn't have bothered me at all. It's just the idea that since I hadn't bothered to read it, there was no benefit to buying it as early as I had!)
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #34
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
When you do come to buy, don't forget to take a look at the webscription month where the book was originally sold. You might well find more books in the month that you want - if a month has three books you want, you're up on the deal (generally $15 instead of $18), and you get another three free books or so.
I never thought of that. I've only read through the webscriptions process once and plan on going back and read it in more detail when I get my reader

thanks for the tip though!!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #35
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I have had my kindle for a little over a year, and have bought about 30 books, which is about what I bought before I had my electronic reader. But that was before MR taught me how to use my local library. Since I got a Chicago Public Library card, I buy ebooks pretty much like I bought pbooks - I get most of what I want from the library, unless it is an author or series I really like, in which case I buy it. I no longer buy a bunch of books before I go on vacation. I find the samples at Amazon really cut down on impulse buying - I downloaded a couple hundred samples of a certain genre, and it is almost like reading a book. As I finish each one, I either buy the book (very few), delete the sample, or add the book to my Wishlist. Oh,and I just realized you can make your Wishlist private, in case you don't want everyone to see the junk you are reading. I think samples have changed by book buying habits more than my ereader.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #36
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
[QUOTE=Sydney's Mom;739134Oh,and I just realized you can make your Wishlist private, in case you don't want everyone to see the junk you are reading.[/QUOTE]

You can also have multiple wish lists. I have a public list and a private list. Sadly you can't have lists where you specify who can see them. There are things that I might put on my wish list but they're more than I would want most people paying for a gift but my husband might buy them for me.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote