Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
workshy_1
workshy_1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Started out using eLibrary to transfer books now want to use Calibre - any issues?

Hi

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere int he forum, but I haven't been able to find anything yet...

Anyway, I am new to the eReader area having finally been converted to the joys of all my books in one easy to carry device.

I bought the PRS-505 and started by using the Sony eLibrary software to manage and transfer books to my 505. I have since discovered the joys of Calibre and now want to use this to manage and transfer to my 505.

I have found hints around the web that show that this might cause a problem with content already on the 505 and I may need to wipe it and start again. Is that the case?

Thought I should check with you knowledgeable types before I go down this route...

Thanks in advance
workshy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's fine as long as you dont run both programs simultaneously
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
workshy_1
workshy_1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi

Thanks for the reply and for the program - it is awesome - far more intuitive and useful than the bundled software!

To be clear, I can use either program to transfer books to the 505 and also to remove them from it?

I want to switch to using claibre permanently because the collection feature seems far more advanced and will save me having to manually do this when I transfer books to the 505. I already have some manually created collections using the sony software so wanted to know if I was going to lose any of the data. Right now would be the best time - only have a 100 or so books on so would rather start over now than once I have transferred books onto 505 and a 2GB SD card (am planning to have several hundred books)

Thanks again for taking the time to answer, look forward to hearing from you again
workshy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, you will loose collections created inthe sony software and yes you can use calibre to both add and delete books from the reader
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
sideburnt
Connoisseur
sideburnt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
I find the collections function in Calibre to be very unreliable. I have lost the collections over and over again, there is an issue with the way the metadata is written and updated.

I admire the effort put into Calibre, its a good product but something at its core is not stable.
sideburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburnt View Post
I find the collections function in Calibre to be very unreliable. I have lost the collections over and over again, there is an issue with the way the metadata is written and updated.
You mean you have lost the collections that were installed on your reader? Because I really think that is more down to you messing with and crashing the reader. Reader crashes and improper mounts/dismounts can result in collections and bookmarks being gone. This is not related to Calibre, obviously.

If you mean you have lost the collections _within_ the Calibre program that would be interesting. But unlikely.

edit: never mind, I've seen your other posts. You've been messing with the XML media files (likely without a fair clue of what you are doing), adding/deleting books at random while connected to your PC and then reloading in Calibre without disconnecting first and more. In short, the problem exists between chair and keyboard.

Last edited by acidzebra; 09-17-2009 at 10:07 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:23 AM   #7
sideburnt
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
You mean you have lost the collections that were installed on your reader? Because I really think that is more down to you messing with and crashing the reader. Reader crashes and improper mounts/dismounts can result in collections and bookmarks being gone. This is not related to Calibre, obviously.

If you mean you have lost the collections _within_ the Calibre program that would be interesting. But unlikely.

edit: never mind, I've seen your other posts. You've been messing with the XML media files (likely without a fair clue of what you are doing), adding/deleting books at random while connected to your PC and then reloading in Calibre without disconnecting first and more. In short, the problem exists between chair and keyboard.
wow thats a wild assumption.

I have actually been very methodical about everything I have done, I have not been "adding and deleting books at random" what in the flying F... would that achieve?

I have a very good grasp of IT and XML, which is why I have explored all possibilities in an attempt to resolve my issue (which I admit all probably stemmed from a corrupted cache.xml file)

Now then;
at no point did I ever let my reader 'not' finish its metadata cycle on connection/disconnection. This was NOT what corrupted the metadata in the first place.

I have found out from other posts that there is an issue with tags on sony readers that contain too many files, this is what probably corrupted my cache.xml in the first place, since I moved in the region of 300 files onto my memory card via Caliber (and yes, before you jump in with a rude comment, CORRECTLY, via the Transfer to Storage Card A method, which SHOULD retain all metatagging)

What finally fixed my issue was to completely remove all prior use of calibre, which ment retagging my files using EditLrfMetaGUI then manually transferring my files to my memory card and finally creating collections using Sony eBook Library 3.0

Categorically I do not have any issues any more since I made this decision to drop Calibre (which I have supported, but not praised for its tagging)

Usually your posts are more helpful than this, and less dickish

In short, your problem exists between arse and mouth, in this case.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have actually been very methodical about everything I have done
Yes, that shows from your many posts (good example: the memory card corruption/blue screen thread)

Do you have any idea what the installed userbase of Calibre is? Don't you think this "instability with tags" would have been noticed by someone? It's you. You are a tinkerer, which is fine, I am one too. But your messing with the device and with books and Calibre is what is causing the issues, not Calibre itself.

Quote:
Usually your posts are more helpful than this, and less dickish. In short, your problem exists between arse and mouth, in this case.
Usually people are less busy with spreading nonsense and FUD based on limited experience. And you should look in a mirror sometime, and at your recent posts.

Last edited by acidzebra; 09-18-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #9
sideburnt
Connoisseur

you my man are getting way too personal,

my many posts are there for a reason, each one highlights a different issue that I had while attempting to use Calibre

none of them were created as a platform to flame anyone, just to seek advice on a.....forum?

Just because you read INTO my posts, and make wild assumptions that doesnt make it fact. You appear to think I have a vendetta against something here?

And on this topic I could throw multiple posts at you that refer to Calibre's issue with transferring multiple files, and lost tags, but that probably wouldn;t mean anything to you since you seem to think I'm merely spouting my own unique little issues.

Why dont you look at your own posts and see where you went from useful to offensive.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

Quote:
none of them were created as a platform to flame anyone, just to seek advice on a.....forum?
All fine until you started spouting vague "warnings" about your own experiences on a thread started by someone else looking for help without actually providing any useful advice. Kovid called you on it, even, causing you to go off on a tangent about how people should not try to silence you. Good show.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Uh, Oh. Sounds like sideburnt wants to get involved in Calibre development.

I'm sure that would be welcomed by the team if there are legitimate issues.

As AZ says, most people don't seem to be having any issues using the software. When you start manually manipulating the files then any issues are likely due to that. End of story.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
sideburnt
Connoisseur

manually manipulating files? huh? where did you read that? I've used EditLrfMetaGUI, but other than that all other activity has been within software of some description or another.

And seriously I would be happy to help if my background was in development, and just because most people are happy using Calibre that doesnt make it the perfect tool for everyone

Everyone has thier own unique environment to run Calibre, with varying amounts of files on their reader in different formats and sizes, thats where issues arise, and is also why people create threads in the part of the forum asking for help, or raising a ticket for Kovid.

And the original post was asking for opinions not help, I gave mine which is as valid as anyone elses, I mentioned an issue that multiple users have had. I am not a unique case here.