Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
lconover
lconover began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Migrating Calibre from a failing hard drive - mangled my Collections data

I think I might have mangled my Collections data past repair, but, I figured I'd post here to see if anyone might be able to advise me...

Currently, I have Calibre's program files installed on my C:\ drive, and the actual LRF file library on another drive. Windows recently let me know that the drive holding my library is starting to fail, so, I copied that entire directory to a stable drive.

To try to 'repoint' Calibre, I renamed the original library folder after installing a fresh copy of Calibre. I then recursively added the 'new' folder to Calibre. I suspect these steps were the wrong things to do, since it appears that my Collection data didn't seem to make the journey. I use that feature pretty heavily, so I'm very sad that I might have to retag all my collections again...

Is there any way to restore that data? The failing drive is still accessible (for now) with the original book folder intact. Where does Calibre keep its data for Collections? And in the future, should I need to migrate my book files elsewhere, is there a better way to do it so that the data can be kept intact?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

-Laura
lconover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Iconover.

Couldn't you ask something easy like "how to bring peace in the mideast"?

Seriously............someone here will answer your question, I" sure.

enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 02:06 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In the calibre config dialog, the very first setting is the library location. Just point it to the original folder (with your old library in it). Before doing this, in case it doesn't work, back up your library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:24 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The easiest thing to do would have been to copy the old Calibre library folder (and all its contents) to a new location. Then start up Calibre and tell it to use the new location.

It sounds as if you have managed to leave the metadata.db3 file behind (which contains the metatdata) behind in the approach that you have used, and it sounds like much more work than a simple copy.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
lconover
lconover began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Leave it to me to over-complicate something - I had forgotten where the configuration options lived in Calibre, thinking that the info was stored someplace like an XML file.. *facepalm*

I think I might be using too many user unfriendly products now that I've been thrown for a loop by something that's easy and straightforward.
lconover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, collections, moving files