Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-04-2008, 02:40 AM   #1
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Problems with downloading newsfeeds in Calibre

I have always had a problem downloading newsfeeds from Calibre and the previous incarnation. I installed the newest version and tried to download the Wired newsfeed. As usual, I get an error message and I have to force quit the program (I am on a Mac). I am wondering if this is because I am in China and the government blocks RSS feeds? Anyway, here is the error message.

'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe8 in position 568: ordinal not in range(128)
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/main.py", line 707, in news_fetched
File "/Applications/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/main.py", line 1056, in conversion_job_exception
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe8 in position 568: ordinal not in range(128)
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:16 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
try
Code:
feeds2lrf Newsweek
at a terminal
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #3
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seemed to work. I got a lot of error messages saying it could not download some stuff and then this
Could not read stylesheet: http://ndn.newsweek.com/site/css/structure.css
Could not read stylesheet: http://ndn.newsweek.com/site/css/components.css
Could not read stylesheet: http://ndn.newsweek.com/site/css/widgets.css
Processing index.html

which I assume had something to do with the undownloaded material. The rest seemed to work.

So what do i do now? Can I use calibre to install it to the reader? Is there a setting that I can set to get it to work in the program?
Old 06-04-2008, 04:32 AM   #4
Tom Swift
Addict

Never mind. Found the lrf file. But can I change something in calibre to get it to work?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tell me what line 1056 is in /Applications/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/main.py
Advert
Old 06-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
Tom Swift
Addict

The file is very long. Is there a way I can jump to line 1065? I am still kind of new at Macs. If I count, I am sure to make a mistake. Can I search for something?
Old 06-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

open it in vim (at a terminal type vim filename)

then type
Code:
:1056
Old 06-04-2008, 11:28 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

or even easier (at a terminal type)

Code:
head -n 1046 filename | tail -n1
Old 06-04-2008, 11:44 PM   #9
Tom Swift
Addict

msg += formatted_traceback + '</pre>'
Old 06-05-2008, 12:03 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Try the next release, hopefully it will give a more meaningful error message