Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: At about what age did you start reading ebooks?
60+ 34 7.02%
55-59 33 6.82%
50-54 49 10.12%
45-49 56 11.57%
40-44 54 11.16%
35-39 75 15.50%
30-34 66 13.64%
25-29 51 10.54%
20-24 39 8.06%
15-19 18 3.72%
less than 15 years old 9 1.86%
Voters: 484. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
blunty
Enthusiast
blunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone5, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Vox
Poll: Age of People who Read E-Books

I thought it would be quite interesting to find out the average age range of people reading e-books. I am late 40s and only recently started, but like a mixture of p-books and e-books.

Are the young readers being captured? Would we trust our 6 year old or younger children with our £450 iliad (no Kindle or Sony reader in UK yet)? Is it older readers with more disposable income or 20 somethings with time/space constraints but no fear of technology.

Perhaps a topic for a survey. I could not find much from searching the forum but if this has already been covered apologies, and point me to the posts please.
blunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
I am in my late, boy I hat e to say this, 40s. My niece and nephew like to borrow my 500. They are both in their early teens
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm in the second half of my 30's.

I can add a poll to this thread for you if you like, just let me know what the questions should be.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
ANd I'm about 20 years older than that young whipper-snapper from Texas called NatCh.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Welcome, blunty. Excellent question about age demographics. I'm surprised we haven't had a poll for that already. I bought my Sony for my 50th birthday present. I had wanted a digital book reader for the past decade and almost bought a Franklin when I was poorer but never did.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
and loving every moment
of the e-reader revolution
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yeah, we need a poll. I'd suggest a block for every 5 years of age, but I'll let the thread author officially request.

I started reading books on a Palm at least 10 years ago. I would have been 40. Now the pda is hard on my eyes, so I bought a Kindle. So, do you want our current age, or when we started e-reading? Another question to decide before we start the poll.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Im 39 and I imagine most of the ereaders will be 30+, because I dont think kids read anymore!
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #9
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
I turn 23 this month and am now worried that you guys are going to start calling me a "young whippersnapper" while you shake your canes at me.

I'm jk of course, you guys are all still plenty young, but I'm surprised there's not more young adults interested in this kind of thing.
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by binzer View Post
I turn 23 this month and am now worried that you guys are going to start calling me a "young whippersnapper" while you shake your canes at me.

I'm jk of course, you guys are all still plenty young, but I'm surprised there's not more young adults interested in this kind of thing.
Well, mid-twenties here, and another surprisee. I thought you old fogies (Joking!) would be the ones most attached to your paper books. Hardly a statistical sample so far, but perhaps the age distribution here is more skewed along the lines of readers-by-age than along the lines of technophiles-by-age.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
Marinerrr
Marinerrr began at the beginning.

Device: [Newest to oldest] Sony PRS-505, iPhone (Stanza), Treo 90, Newton 2100
I'm in my early 40s, but started reading ebooks on an Apple Newton (in 1993), moved to a Treo 90 (PalmOS), and just this year picked up a Sony PRS-505. I miss the backlight of the Treo, but the clarity and screen size of the Sony (eInk) is fabulous.

Kind regards,
Marinerrr
Marinerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I am also in my early 40s and i started really reading ebooks when I bought my Cybook half a year ago. It was a combination of that I like gadgets and that I am running out of space for my pbooks that got me started.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Age of People who Read Ebooks

I couldn't figure out how to add a poll to an existing thread, so I started a new thread.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well, i'm 34 and just got my first device, but i've always read a lot and always loved gadgets as well... which is not to say that i buy all of them.

i have a friend who is about 10 years older than me who would never consider reading on a device, but he's refractary to all technology (which is ironic, since he's a developper), and doesn't even have a cell phone. another friend the same age as him was fascinated, as was a friend in her early 20's.

my father (who is 54) wholeheartedly approves of the idea of a device as a *complement* to paper books, for the convenience (among others) of having a whole library at your disposal in so small an object. he also loves to read and is mightily entranced by gadgets in general. however he would never get rid of all his books, since some of them he loves as objects rather than (or in addition to) for their content. he sometimes buys used books in thrift stores just because he likes the cover, or the paper, or the font...

as others have mentioned, i'm not sure age is necessarily the deciding factor.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Oh, good. It worked.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote