Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Sherlock Holmes mysteries

Am I the only one to find the Sherlock Holmes mysteries a little overrated?

I appreciate the writing is kind of dated, which wasn't the problem for me, I just didn't find the stories, A Study in Scarlet and A Scandal in Bohemia, inspiring at all.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I see you headed your comment "Sherlock Holmes Mysteries" (my italics). Maybe that's part of the issue. The Sherlock Holmes stories are not intended to be mysteries. They're not like Agatha Christies or Raymond Chandlers, where a crime has been committed, and the reader is invited to choose the culprit from a short list of suspects.

Rather, they're meant to offer an insight into the character and methods of Holmes himself. In fact, in many of the stories (more than half, I think), there is no crime at all, or, if there is, the perpetrators are never brought to justice.

That said, I agree with you that some of the stories are uninspiring. That's especially true of the later ones (say, those in the Case-book of Sherlock Holmes), which can almost be described as pot-boilers. In many of those later stories, you get the impression that Conan Doyle was writing them only because he felt he had to. He had clearly lost interest in Holmes long before.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I see you headed your comment "Sherlock Holmes Mysteries" (my italics). Maybe that's part of the issue. The Sherlock Holmes stories are not intended to be mysteries. They're not like Agatha Christies or Raymond Chandlers, where a crime has been committed, and the reader is invited to choose the culprit from a short list of suspects.

Rather, they're meant to offer an insight into the character and methods of Holmes himself. In fact, in many of the stories (more than half, I think), there is no crime at all, or, if there is, the perpetrators are never brought to justice.

That said, I agree with you that some of the stories are uninspiring. That's especially true of the later ones (say, those in the Case-book of Sherlock Holmes), which can almost be described as pot-boilers. In many of those later stories, you get the impression that Conan Doyle was writing them only because he felt he had to. He had clearly lost interest in Holmes long before.

Mike
Thanks for the feedback!

Maybe I'll run through a couple more. Have you read The House of Silk by any chance?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Tony Richards
Wizard
Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Seriously, try The Hound of the Baskerville's. That might capture your attention.
Tony Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I agree with Tony about The Hound of the Baskervilles. It's definitely the best of the full-length stories.

As far as the short stories are concerned, I think the very early ones are the best - the ones that were re-published as The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. They include the Speckled Band, the Twisted Lip, Red-Headed League - all the classics.

Re The House of Silk: I haven't read it yet. I did download the sample on my Kindle, but it didn't grab my attention for some reason. I might try it again some time.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
I checked out The House of Silk from the library and it did not grab my attention either. The allotted three weeks went by without me reading past chapter 1.

That being said, I LOVE Sherlock Holmes.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
stop__dreaming
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I agree with Tony about The Hound of the Baskervilles. It's definitely the best of the full-length stories.

As far as the short stories are concerned, I think the very early ones are the best - the ones that were re-published as The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. They include the Speckled Band, the Twisted Lip, Red-Headed League - all the classics.

Re The House of Silk: I haven't read it yet. I did download the sample on my Kindle, but it didn't grab my attention for some reason. I might try it again some time.

Mike
I have those mentioned. I'll put them on standby.

Thanks, Mike.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
I was introduced to Sherlock Holmes by Basil Rathbone's portrayal of him in film, so when I read any of the stories I always see Rathbone's Holmes; it makes the literary character much richer for me, and engages me with the stories.

If I'd have seen first seen Holmes as Jeremy Brett, for instance, I would not have even bothered reading the stories at all; I didn't like him as Holmes, and my reading would have been ruined by the portrayal.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
I was introduced to Sherlock Holmes by Basil Rathbone's portrayal of him in film, so when I read any of the stories I always see Rathbone's Holmes; it makes the literary character much richer for me, and engages me with the stories.

If I'd have seen first seen Holmes as Jeremy Brett, for instance, I would not have even bothered reading the stories at all; I didn't like him as Holmes, and my reading would have been ruined by the portrayal.
+1.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Certainly I can understand that some don't care that much for the Sherlock Holmes books, different strokes for different folks and all that. On the other hand, there is a reason that Sherlock Holmes is so popular and such a cultural icon. I have been a Holmes fan ever since I read the set way back when I was either in grade school or early high school (somewhere in the 10 to 14 year old range) and still read them on a regular basis.

I never saw any of the Holmes movies before reading the stories, so my view was not colored by the movies. Personally, I prefer the Brett series of movies to the Rathbone series, I thought the characters were closer to the book characters. I'm not a purest by any stretch (really liked the two new movies which is about as far from the book as you can get), but the bumbling Watson in the Rathbone movies got on my nerves. Seriously, Holmes never suffered fools gladly, it was unbelievable to me that Holmes would put up with such a buffoon.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'm not a purest by any stretch (really liked the two new movies which is about as far from the book as you can get), but the bumbling Watson in the Rathbone movies got on my nerves. Seriously, Holmes never suffered fools gladly, it was unbelievable to me that Holmes would put up with such a buffoon.
I totally agree about Nigel Bruce's portrayal of Watson; the bumbling nature of the role was fine for the tone of the films, but definitely did not fit with the Watson of literature (as with Inspector Lestrade). My view of Rathbone as Holmes comes from the mannerisms, the vocal tones and accent, the intelligence, the liveliness of spirit (and low moods), and definitely Rathbone's physical looks.

I found Brett to be the opposite: drab, boring, seeming almost perpetually sombre, with little spark of life.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #12
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

The attraction for me of the Holmes stories was not as mysteries or detective stories. As others have already stated most of the mysteries were rather obvious and some of Holmes' methods were far fetched. I just liked the characters; Holmes of course, but also Watson and how they interacted. The predictability of that made each story like putting on a new shoe that might be of slightly different appearance, but was assured to be comfortable. That and I liked how the stories were very much set in a certain time and place.

I never liked the Basel Rathbone films. Rathbone's portrayal was pretty good, but Nigel Bruce's Watson made me want to throw things at the television screen. I also preferred the series starring Jeremy Brett.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 11-06-2012 at 07:48 AM.