Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Zimmu?

Are any of the authors here using Zimmu.com to give away free copies of your books?

Or are any of your books there without your permission?

I spotted a high number that I have received over the last few years, direct from authors or from Amazon, but see several others that are listed at Amazon (and elsewhere) at prices ranging from $3-$7. So, I am wondering if this is just someone who has decided that once free should mean always free and is redistributing them (apparently as PDF's, with no author listed on the detail pages) or if it is a legit marketing outlet.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
MJWare
MJWare began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Are any of the authors here using Zimmu.com to give away free copies of your books?

Or are any of your books there without your permission?

I spotted a high number that I have received over the last few years, direct from authors or from Amazon, but see several others that are listed at Amazon (and elsewhere) at prices ranging from $3-$7. So, I am wondering if this is just someone who has decided that once free should mean always free and is redistributing them (apparently as PDF's, with no author listed on the detail pages) or if it is a legit marketing outlet.
I know one author whose book is on there who says he's never given them the right to distribute it. I'm going to check with two others.

There's a heated discussion about this site on another forum (not going to post the link as that's probably against Mobileread's TOS), but it doesn't pass the smell test to me (of course I haven't showered in 48 hours, so who knows where it's coming from).

I can tell you this, I was told (I didn't check myself) that their terms say the following:
""Further, the Author hereby grants and irrevocably licenses to the Publisher the exclusive publishing rights in all languages in e-book or book form in all countries of the world, all future works..."
MJWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
OK, didn't see that and it's probably not even legal in a signed contract in many countries (let alone as a shrink-wrap web "license" agreement).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #4
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Just took a look. On their intro page they state that their advantage is :

"No memberships. No sign in. Just Free downloads of e-books."

In the upper right is a clickable icon to ... sign in.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote