Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
PaperStarz
PaperStarz began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wi-Fi
New Nook Wi-Fi User

Hi, I recently got a Nook Wi-Fi for Christmas, but I am unsure as to whether I should open it and use it or not. I would like to know how good its internet capabilities are. As a college student, I don't have too much time to read, but if it provides other features other than those for reading, I may consider using it.

I really don't want to ask the person who got it for me for an exchange, but I feel that I would have little reason to use it.
PaperStarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
stangcbr
stangcbr began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
I bought one for my wife for xmas. I rooted it and it can now do anything the IPAD can but with android apps. It can surf the internet pretty smoothly, better if you download the dolphin browser HD app. It plays most android apps like angry birds (im hooked). It can also read pdf files, excel, and word docs although I haven't yet looked at the last two on it. With the apps you can download things like a units converter which converts everything (I mean everything) I am an engineer and would have loved that in college. Youtube looks great on it too. I think it is great... an ipad for less than half the cash. I believe some colleges allow you to download text books on these things, but you would have to ask your teacher or bookstore. Good luck!
stangcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 01:57 AM   #3
PaperStarz
PaperStarz began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcbr View Post
I bought one for my wife for xmas. I rooted it and it can now do anything the IPAD can but with android apps. It can surf the internet pretty smoothly, better if you download the dolphin browser HD app. It plays most android apps like angry birds (im hooked). It can also read pdf files, excel, and word docs although I haven't yet looked at the last two on it. With the apps you can download things like a units converter which converts everything (I mean everything) I am an engineer and would have loved that in college. Youtube looks great on it too. I think it is great... an ipad for less than half the cash. I believe some colleges allow you to download text books on these things, but you would have to ask your teacher or bookstore. Good luck!
Thanks for responding Are you sure this is for Nook that is just Wi-Fi, not the Nook Color? It sounds like it'd be pretty useful if you are indeed talking about just the Nook Wi-Fi. I've seen "rooting" mentioned in many threads, but I'm not sure exactly what it means. Can anyone explain?

Thanks
PaperStarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
stangcbr's response is defrinitely for the NOOKcolor. The Nook WiFi's web browsing capabilities are unfortunately limited (in fact, to me they're almost useless). Regarding your second question, "rooting" is modifying the software to gain access to SuperUser (Administrator) privileges. From there you can install custom interfaces, applications and enable/disable other features of your device.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperStarz View Post
Hi, I recently got a Nook Wi-Fi for Christmas, but I am unsure as to whether I should open it and use it or not. I would like to know how good its internet capabilities are. As a college student, I don't have too much time to read, but if it provides other features other than those for reading, I may consider using it.

I really don't want to ask the person who got it for me for an exchange, but I feel that I would have little reason to use it.
If you're not going to use it primarily for reading, an eInk device is going to do you very little good. For Internet capabilities, a good smartphone will be a lot more useful. If you got a gift receipt with it, you could see about trading up to the nookColor. Rooting the NC makes it a fairly capable Wi-Fi tablet.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
What jasonkchapman said.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote