Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #151
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
Oooppss !!!

The Duokan FAQ seem to have it wrong, and what is worse - I am unsure what it did to my system. It did screw it up.

Navigating the Duokan system:

A very nice feature is the one letter in front of all commands and files. These shortcuts are so cool, but I admit they looked sort of stupid at first. Then we got the different menus, and they differ according to context - so if you are in a PDF book, they are different then in an EPUP. The letter shortcut just mentioned, changes of course - BUT so does some of the alt-shift- or what ever other shortcut there is. I have come across examples of it, while my point here is simply to make it clear that functions are different according to context, so ..

Obviously, pressing "shift+alt+G" not only rotated and zoomed up my screen in a PDF book, fonts and who knows what got messed up - hmm.... these settings isn't so easy to get out of as you are inside a book. In a Microsoft environment - I would have hit ctrl+alt+del and screamed help !

Aha ! maybe why Doukan seem to have incorperated those keys ? Edit: wrong, they don't - now, where did I see something like that ?

Hmm.... it messed up the book, and I can not get myself out of it. It did change PDF to reflow ? and when pressing Aa - I no longer get the PDF menu, but one of the others ? There must be some data to delete, i.e. my settings for the book.. hmm...
hey... that menu is all Chinese, where is my english ?

Damn--sorry...yes, I am allowed to swear sometimes...damn, stereo damn, quatro damn, f**k!

ok, let see..

delete /DK_User/readbook.dat - thought so, but..
This file is a list of the books you are reading. This file have them appear ...argg.. I have deleted the file,
but it orders the books on your home directory. It correspond to the X. Recent books.

next attempt...

delete /DK_Mbp/4.mbp

Now, I started in the wrong end - book 50 or something. If I could fathom fancy scripts, I would have had something that would have me search this folder for the title, not these numbers.

I have the book in /DK_Documents - but that is the original. I deleted this rendered version instead. Why *.mbp ? Is it mobipocket format ? Maybe not quite, but perhaps close ?

I add a couple of screenshots. In some cases, I have gotten away from some rendering errors by - enter "menu" while in the book. The first screenshot show my selections. I may jump to directory, to beginning or end of a book. Sometimes, I may jump to the beginning. Exit the book. And open it again. This and other things did not get me out of this mess here.

The next screenshot shows how I would jump to a certain page. The mini-terminal at the bottom, show how I may use qwert...for 1234... and jump to the page I want. Notice, I still have some Chinese translation to do on my *special version*. Hopefully, you may duplicate what I do and show some of the menus, and update FAQ or some manual.

But printscreen is NOT shift+alt+g !!! got it ?

Please report if it works or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20101110134537.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	60937   Click image for larger version

Name:	20101110134851.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	60938  

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 11-19-2010 at 02:19 PM.
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #152
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Touch, iPad1, iPad2, iPod Touch 4G, Pixel Qi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FethryDuck View Post
NO !!! - not "shift+alt+G" but "alt+shift+G" ! oh, plz - could this be some of the trouble other's have had too ??

else - I had my share of pain with "I was just on the Duokan website, trying my damnedest with Google Translate" - it can be tricky - I only managed to say hello
When pressing Alt+shift+G in an Epub book, "GH" appears in a search box. Never get the printscreen to work
aruangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #153
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by FethryDuck View Post
NO !!! - not "shift+alt+G" but "alt+shift+G" ! oh, plz - could this be some of the trouble other's have had too ??

else - I had my share of pain with "I was just on the Duokan website, trying my damnedest with Google Translate" - it can be tricky - I only managed to say hello
Ni hao

"alt+shift+G": I think you also need to let go of the alt before the shift and the shift before the G(?)
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #154
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
It really is bad for english texts...
Can't do any special characters, just omits them, so only standard encoding, it just assumes, doesn't even bother reading it from the file. Sucks for European characters.
Can't format epubs correctly - no center text, just overlays them and makes it unreadable.
Can't navigate links in epubs, Can't navigate links in mobi (Crashes)
Strange typesetting with punctuation, spaces and line breaks after commas, quotations, and periods. Sometimes you will see double quotations. Some epubs have words that run together with no spaces.

Dictionary crashes the system if you push next page.
Items get re-ordered after you view them, but if you delete them, it deletes the previous item, not the one you had selected.

Other formats like .doc are just converted, so it won't save position if you come back to them later.

There is no uninstall utility which is kind of bad, I'd rather just uninstall it, it's not that great. The translation is rather poor, but bearable.

Oh, and they also do a lot of things in a real stupid manner.
Like they have the MDB folder, and they make a tmp directory, where they throw all of their conversions for EVERYTHING in there for the past book you read. Now.. why in the hell do this? Why not just convert and save it permanently, or just use the goddamn /tmp directory in memory if it's only going to be 500k or so?

Do we really need to write to disk every time to we open a book? Little confused here
Same with word and other conversions. IDK why it doesn't just do the conversion once and then work with the converted file after that.

Last edited by curstpriest; 11-10-2010 at 10:24 AM.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #155
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLight;
Is anyone else having this problem? After installing Duokan, when I go back to Kindle 3 firmware, when I select a book it no longer goes to the top of the page as it usually did - sort "By Most Recent First" but rather goes to a different part of the order - say instead of going to the first book in the list it goes to the ~ seventh book???

And when I remove a book from a collection, it disappears but when I check the Kindle Drive, there it is.
Your date and or time may be off. Do a sync and check for update to fix the date. And set the time if you have the wifi version.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #156
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Can't do any special characters, just omits them, so only standard encoding, it just assumes, doesn't even bother reading it from the file. Sucks for European characters.
Can't format epubs correctly - no center text, just overlays them and makes it unreadable.
Strange typesetting with punctuation, spaces and line breaks after commas, quotations, and periods. Sometimes you will see double quotations. Some epubs have words that run together with no spaces.

Items get re-ordered after you view them, but if you delete them, it deletes the previous item, not the one you had selected.

Other formats like .doc are just converted, so it won't save position if you come back to them later.

There is no uninstall utility which is kind of bad, I'd rather just uninstall it, it's not that great. The translation is rather poor, but bearable.

Like they have the MDB folder, and they make a tmp directory, where they throw all of their conversions for EVERYTHING in there for the past book you read. Now.. why in the hell do this? Why not just convert and save it permanently, or just use the goddamn /tmp directory in memory if it's only going to be 500k or so?

Do we really need to write to disk every time to we open a book? Little confused here
Same with word and other conversions. IDK why it doesn't just do the conversion once and then work with the converted file after that.
I challenge you to make a better fw
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #157
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post

Gee, just when I was thinking that it was utterly amazing that a not-for-profit group got together and made this firmware, and even made it available in English, Japanese and Korean! I've been really enjoying reading on it and playing with it. Already it does some things that Kindle can't -- like it handles pdf pretty well. And the mp3 player shows a nice menu of your tunes, etc.

Last edited by montalex; 11-10-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: poor word choice
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #158
mrzerga
Connoisseur
mrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the rough

Device: kindle 3 wifi - love it
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Gee, just when I was thinking that it was utterly amazing that a not-for-profit group got together and made this firmware, and even made it available in English, Japanese and Korean! I've been really enjoying reading on it and playing with it. Already it does some things that Kindle can't -- like it handles pdf pretty well. And the mp3 player shows a nice menu of your tunes, etc.
b)me dont care about mp3 on kindle - if I would care i would get something suited better like a media player. its not a priority
c)could you please comment in which specific way the pdf handling is better(it's a question, not an argument)
d)I do WANT to see healthy critique of the firmware, since installing it voids my warranty, so I (and I am sure, anybody else who decides to install it) have to understand what am I trading off for this.
e)not only it is some unofficial untested code, it is in a different language so getting help is extremely difficult on this, so any bits of information are valuable.

Last edited by mrzerga; 11-10-2010 at 02:22 PM.
mrzerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #159
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey mrserga,

I was just going in to edit myself! Sorry about that. Now you'll have to edit your post to remove my language from your quote! I just got a little steamed about what I saw as not very constructively expressed criticism.

As for pdf handling on Duokan, I only have a Kindle 2i, which cannot do much with pdf, other than shift to landscape view, or magnify a part of a page. It is pretty useless for pdf.

Duokan can use Smart Layout, which then gives you reflowable type, in which you can change fonts, use a dictionary, save a selection, etc. I am using it on The Oxford Dictionary of American Verse, and it works pretty well, at least for formatting the poems. It mangles some things, of course, much like when you convert a pdf to mobi or epub.

As for the profanity, well, it's only words, mate, and Shakespeare himself used worse. If you are a reader of literature, you like all words in their place. Nor has a profanity ever caused harm. Still, sorry to offend.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #160
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

- this was a lot of complaints !

I add some comments - in a short while - but I have just begun to look at the english version that you guys are running. My oh my - a lot of files and more Chinese and.. DX model, and many European languages and...... First thing I did was to order a DXG + some from Amazon !!

And I am greeted with these messages !
hmm... how do I cancel my order from Amazon !

My arm hurts like ...when I asked the doctor if I may try to type, it was a clear cut - NO!
Guess that is why I do try so hard
Old 11-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #161
FethryDuck
Addict

dearest curstpriest, use your magic wand - we sure seem to need it !
Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #162
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Had I the need/time I would write my own, but I do not.
If they were to release the source I would happily work with it, but I'm sure they would not.

And if you look at the credits there are something like 20+ names over 10 pages, so there are a lot of people who worked on it.

Also almost all of the text processing software is "borrowed?" from other developers. Open a word document and you can see for yourself.

I am by no means a linux guru. I'm not even that great of a C programmer, but I know the DOs and DO nots of programming, and how to build something ground up. You don't make a beta built on a poor foundation, you make it to last, with good code.

Anyhow.. they have something that sort-of works, and its decent, but it's not good enough for non-asian texts by any means. The bugs are minimal, but they are there. The standard english novel will have lots of visible errors, and 90% of epubs will be unreadable.

Beta? Perhaps
English version should be tagged as Alpha however, as it is a more appropriate label.

Why community groups don't release source in the world today is beyond me.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #163
FethryDuck
Addict

@aruangra - I notice it is a DX, and some have said there may be some issues. But in fact, that rotation of the page that occured when I did the shift-alt-G, did seem to match what has been said. So.. btw. just did a printscreen in EPUB - works nice. ( They shift some functions according to what type of document you have open, so I just checked to be sure. )

@Rinzwind - nope - I may use one finger, pause around a second before each entry. I was so pleased when I found out that I did not have to press them all at once.

I need some other kindle to do the same install as you guys have done, but it will take a week before I have it - and then, it may not be the first thing I do

Just some thought: - it works almost everywhere I have tried, except during bootup. And don't rush pressing the keys - make sure you don't miss the G, etc. And on the first use, things take a bit of time, as it creates those folders. Now - if someone could try it as it where before you selected language. You don't have to do anything else then pressing those keys, - you don't need to read or know where you are. ( if this would work, then we know it has to do with language settings.

The other thing to check, could be what keyboard you are using. I have sort of 4 selectable keyboards. User settings page 2. I have set it for English. My optional input is set to Latin.
But you may try any of these settings and see if there is a response.

I think everything is calling the same function, - a common printscreen function - hmm.. I may try to do it on a picture.

Ah, well ... I attached a sample of a Duck's porn collection

real geeky, huh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20101110182012.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	60946  
Old 11-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #164
montalex
Fanatic

Re: mp3 player. I have never used this much on Kindle 2i, so I am only writing about what Duokan's does.

Press alt+M opens Mp3 player. You see a numbered list of tunes from your music folder under player control. Five-way give you play, pause, next. Alt+S closed player. When you use volume control, you get a little visual on volume level.

@FethryDuck: I've tried all possible permutations of Alt+Shift+G, Shift+Alt+G to no avail. (or I'd post a screenshot of Mp3 player. Hmm. I'm getting busy with that porn collection...
Old 11-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #165
FethryDuck
Addict

@curstpriest - oh, I compare images, looking for a gal, see oh, well... you are right, and please send a copy to Amazon and Duokan - and you may say that Fethry consider to cancel his latest orders

It is of course a political and marketing issue, plus who knows what. Personally, I would never buy this without the ability to do something with it. And I thought the Duokan was a neat - girls say - oh, you speak Chinese, and I say quack-quack. Guys, this is absolutly a must: Beside the FAQ, we need a page with pickup lines - enter the text-to-speak function, and let us practise - how do you say make love in Chinese ? oh, may I kindle you ?