Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
longhair75
longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Sony PRS 505
yet another Calibre verses Sony Library question

Good morning friends

I found Calibre over the weekend and downloaded it. I had read that there was a problem running both the Sony Reader software and Calibre at the same time, so I put the Calibre on a separate computer. I moved all of the ebooks I had downloaded from other sources than Sony to the Calibre, and it is working just fine. I have not yet figured out how to move the ebooks I have purchased and downloaded from Sony to the Calibre. I located an ebook file in my Sony Library and tried to copy and paste it via a thumb drive to the second computer and Calibre. It appeared in the Calibre file, but I was unable to open it using the Calibre Reader

It seems to me that this could be a DRM issue, and if so I have no problem leaving the Sony ebooks right where they are.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
longhair75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
First, you can run both programs on one computer but do not try to transfer books from both programs at the same time.

Second, as you've seen Calibre can manage your Sony purchased ebooks fine but cannot read them. This is due to DRM. Calibre cannot open DRM files in the Viewer and I believe this was intentional.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
longhair75
longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

So, I can manage my Sony content via Calibre then? I thought that if the Calibre reader would not open the Sony files, I would not be able to store and manage my Sony files at all.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
So, I can manage my Sony content via Calibre then? I thought that if the Calibre reader would not open the Sony files, I would not be able to store and manage my Sony files at all.
You can add these files to Calibre just fine. It will allow you to transfer them to the reader the only thing you can't do is read the DRM epubs with Calibre's reader.

But you can read these files on your computer with either the Sony software or Adobe Digital Editions software.

I have never used the Sony software for anything beyond the purchase of a few books. Everything else I have done with Calibre.

You just have to decide which product to use to send files to your device. I use Calibre, either will work but if you use both they will step on each other trying to write data files to the device with their info.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
longhair75

Thanks all, for the support