Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #31
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkosigan View Post
ADE allows only a limited number of authorizations!

If you have then re-authorize the FW update the reader should be sure to save the deauthorize Reader (before update), since it is otherwise no longer do, and this device permanently take away a place!
ADE allows 6 devices at a time to be authorized per AdobeID. The entire authorization process is screwed up, you can't see what devices are authorized to your account and there is no menu item to select to deauthorize devices. So, before you install the new firmware first deauthorize your existing PocketBook inside Adobe Digital Editions (assuming you have authorized it, obviously). The way to do this is different on the Mac and Windows, see Mac (Cmd-Shift-D) and Windows (ctrl-shift-e). You can contact Adobe and have the devices removed, but you may not be initially aware of the problem - until you hit the 6 device limit with all those zombie authorizations.

The process is so broken that I suggest never authorizing side-loading devices (like the PocketBooks), but instead immediately stripping the DRM, see Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented. That way you can use either ADE or FBReader for the ePub, and you can edit it (e.g. run it through Calibre with CSS overrides) if you want. Circumvention for personal use on ebooks you bought is probably legal in the US, and I have not heard of a single case worldwide where this has resulted in legal action.

Last edited by wallcraft; 11-26-2009 at 12:06 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:53 AM   #32
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
Anyone else seeing really huge margins with adobe drm'd epubs? I am testing with a free adobe epub => A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K Hammilton - http://www.shortcovers.com/mixes/A-K...%2Bbooks+HP+ad
It's just this one epub, tselling: I had a look inside that book and it was appallingly formatted. Best bet is to just use FBReader with that book or change the margins with an editor if you know your way around CSS stylesheets. (you may have to remove the DRM first->Wallcraft's post)

My Pocketbook 360 is in the mail and hopefully I will get it before this weekend. As it has the newest firmware on board, I will test it over the weekend and let you know about my results!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #33
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
OH! that's why I ran into the authorization problem and had to jump through hoops with a support ticket to Adobe. firmware updates grrrr...

They really need to fix that.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:11 AM   #34
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Is there a way to de-authorize a devise in such a manner that it really goes from the list of authorized devices and you can authorize another one?
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:22 AM   #35
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Is there a way to de-authorize a devise in such a manner that it really goes from the list of authorized devices and you can authorize another one?
No!!
The only way is to jump through the hoops, as Dulin put it so charmingly!
Old 11-30-2009, 02:01 AM   #36
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

... I think I'm on count "4" or something...
Old 11-30-2009, 02:55 AM   #37
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
... I think I'm on count "4" or something...
Then you may have to contact Adobe and explain. MM is still not authorized!! And doing fine, thank you!
Old 12-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #38
rireed3
Connoisseur
rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook 1, Cybook Gen3
I have a different epub/ADE device, a BeBook I. This thread made me a bit nervous because I have been trying different epub/ADE firmwares available for its HanLin V3 hardware, so I went back and re-flashed them all, trying the ctrl-shift-e.

This is what I found:
  • With a device running a new firmware connected, ADE will start with a prompt from some Adobe 'configuration manager' for authentication of the device.
  • If you have an SD card (you must if you re-flashed), it will do this again the next time, until you have authenticated twice, but there is no need for the second one, and it probably wastes an authorization - I just ignore it, and you can turn off the prompt.
  • The only way to tell if this firmware has been authorized is to do ctrl-shift-e. ADE is really horrible software and doesn't work every time. I think it only works when the remote device is selected in the left pane, and I've had to restart ADE even though I knew I had an authorization, so you can only guess there are none on this firmware by repeated ctrl-shift-e-attempts/ADE-restarts.
  • I didn't see any indication that subsequent re-flashing of the same firmware after others uses up authorization counts, and I have been through each of three firmwares 3 times, 4 for two of them, although I did start deauthorizing after 4 (times 2?).
I hope this sheds some light on silly ADE.

Richard
rireed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #39
ChrisAIX
ChrisAIX began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, Longshine ShineBook (SB-E60A)
Firmware on other devices?

I've got a ShineBook (firmware like Cool-ER), "mtravellerh" said the PocketBook 301 firmware is much smarter - so I would like to check that out.

As fare as I understood the hardware is the same (except the case).

Perhaps someone has already made some experiences and can tell ...
  • Is it possible to flash the ShineBook / COOL-ER with the PocketBook 301 firmware?
  • How to "backup" / "restore" the originally delivered firmware?

// Chris
ChrisAIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:18 AM   #40
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

[*]Is it possible to flash the ShineBook / COOL-ER with the PocketBook 301 firmware?

Nope.

Tags
pocketbook 360 301+ 302