Notices

Old 08-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
d13design
d13design began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo e-reader
Can I get a copy of my iOS only e-book?

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm enjoying my Kobo (original e-reader) which I mainly use for reading comics. I'm doing fine with compiling my own ePub books using a combination of CBZ/CBC files and Calibre but I'm having problems with comics bought directly from the Kobo store.

Without really checking I have bought some books that can only be used on the iOS Kobo apps - very frustrating as I'm now locked into the Kobo app and on a device with a tiny screen.

Am I right in assuming that these books (with no ePub download option) are now locked into these devices and that I can never actually get a copy of the file to keep as a backup?

Any help is appreciated as I'm terribly frustrated - I hate how DRM can lock you into specific devices and thought that ADE was moving us to a better solution.

Thanks.

Dave.
d13design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
If it's an iOS/Vox exclusive book then all you can do is read it on these devices, they are not compatible with anything else so no way to download them
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
d13design

Hi Paul.

Thanks for the reply - i guessed this was the case. Although I'm a fan of e-reading devices I'm not sure I'm a fan of "licensing" books to read on specific devices.

Anyway, you live and learn I suppose.

Dave.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
I found this out the hard way as well and filed a complaint about the fact that device compatibility should be right below the damn "Buy Now" button. Instead they have it buried almost at the bottom of the page.

If you haven't already d13design, ask for a refund. I did. It takes a few days for them to do it but they did do it for me, they will however only credit your Kobo Account. They won't actually refund your money the way you paid for it. At least in my case that was what they did. I'm fine with that as there were other books I wanted as well and just used my credit on them. I also had this happen when I thought I was buying an epub and didn't realize until after I had paid for the book and went to download my copy (I always sideload my epubs) that it was a bloody PDF. Asked for a refund and got it. Kobo did come out with an epub version of the book a week later but I had already bought the epub version from Books On Board.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
The main reason there is no Adobe download for these books is because they would then use the Adobe renderer and the user experience of these types of books in the Adobe renderer would not be overly pleasant.

The book page, from where you can read and overview, and purchase the book, should, to the right of the overview / synopsis display a little matrix of what devices the book can be read on. I believe it has been made more prominent than it previously was.

It's pretty safe to assume that any book on the "Illustrated eBooks" list is going to be in a format that can only currently be read on iOS / VOX.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
d13design

Hi All, thanks again for the responses. It does all make sense and, luckily, I have an iPhone so I'm not totally out of pocket.

I think they do need to be more clearly open about device compatibility on their store as you only see the matrix if you scroll down past the book overview, past the price and "buy now" button, past the "You might like" section and then it's there.

Tags
comic, ios, kobo app