Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Fantasy books

Hello. This is my first contribution to mobileread, and I hope some of you will find it useful.

I want to talk about fantasy novels. This is my favourite genre and with all the trash that is present in this genre, I wanted to find some sort of a recommendation, a sifter of some kind, to help me make a big u-turn around all that garbage.

So I started looking around online, and I found this really nice blog with best fantasy books lists, also divided by sub-genre, and also a list with worst fantasy titles so I know what to avoid. I'll post the link here, and I hope it will be of much help to all the fantasy lovers here.

I have to say, the blog is not mine, I'm just recommending it.

http://bestfantasybooks.com/

By all means if you have a recommendation for me, let me hear it.

Happy reading.
Cheers.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Unfortunately, most recommendations are a matter of opinion. What you consider garbage may be great fantasy to me.

Tell us a bit about the title/authors you enjoy *and* the titles/authors you consider garbage.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucarda View Post
[...]
So I started looking around online, and I found this really nice blog with best fantasy books lists, also divided by sub-genre, and also a list with worst fantasy titles so I know what to avoid. I'll post the link here, and I hope it will be of much help to all the fantasy lovers here.

I have to say, the blog is not mine, I'm just recommending it.

http://bestfantasybooks.com/
[...]
There are some great recommendations here. Thank you for the link!

What I really do not like about this list is that it mixes finished and unfinished stuff.

Some of the series are of the "One big story that is published in a series of unfinished volumes"-type (e.g. Lord of the Rings) instead of "a series a novels, each with a proper ending, set in the same universe (and optionally part of a longer story) (e.g. The Long Price Quartet).

This especially applies to A Game of Thrones. It sure is a great series as far as it goes, however if the Author does not manage to wind up things and get to something like a proper ending (instead of just widening the universe) it will end up under failed endeavours on my list. ;-)
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Well said Jerry.
There are already recommendations of fantasy genre pieces here on MR
I for myself think Eddings can't be recommended often enough
And of course! Sapkowskis Witcher series.
(The fact that anglophonics haven't discovered him until the rocketeering of the spinoff-games makes me wonder how many of the classical publishers gate-keepers are in fact gate sleepers only awaking when they hear "vampire" or "wizard-boy") *sigh*
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I agree with jgaiser, tells us about what fantasy novels you have enjoyed in the past so that we may better recommend you something in that vein.

Also, you might find this place useful: http://www.fantasybookreview.co.uk/
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No lists or anonymous recommendations will help you completely avoid trash/garbage. I recommend not being quite so paranoid about encountering the occasional bit of trash and just read. You could actually discover a great book/author no one else knows about that way. And when you do come across something "bad"... just stop reading it. Libraries are great for trying out stuff you're leery of without committing $$.

In my opinion, a mission to never encounter (or purchase) "bad" books is the best way to ensure you're going to miss out on some great ones. And the bad ones probably won't leave any permanent scars even if you did happen to accidentally finish a couple of them.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-07-2012 at 01:49 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
And I, on the other hand, think he can be recommended way too often.* That's always the problem with taste. Although it seems to be a particular problem with fantasy.

I sit next to another fantasy fan at work, and it's about 50/50 whether we'll like each other's recommendations.

*I really enjoyed the Belgariad when I was Garion's age, but it really didn't take long for me to see through it. It's full of lazy racial stereotypes, clockwork bursts of action, a travelogue which visits every location on the map, and a tedious prophecy-driven "plot".
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Check out "Lingering in the Woods" Great fantasy emotosingle
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a recommendation for you that is not on the lists in the blog (it should be in place of LeGuin).

Drenai Saga 01 - Legend by David Gemmell.

Quote:
Druss, Captain of the Axe, was the stuff of legends. But even as the stories grew in the telling, Druss himself grew older. He turned his back on his own legend and retreated to a mountain lair to await his old enemy, death. Meanwhile, barbarian hordes were on the march. Nothing could stand in their way. Druss reluctantly agreed to come out of retirement. But could even Druss live up to his own legends?
I have read this and it's most enjoyable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here is yet another fantasy based blog that I rather like...

http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:58 AM   #11
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Unfortunately, most recommendations are a matter of opinion. What you consider garbage may be great fantasy to me.
Tell us a bit about the title/authors you enjoy *and* the titles/authors you consider garbage.
Yes, but after reading fantasy for ages, writing reviews and such, I would believe that a person can acquire such a thing as bit of a objectivity, and being able to tell what is shit from what is good. Pardon the language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Well said Jerry.
There are already recommendations of fantasy genre pieces here on MR
And of course! Sapkowskis Witcher series.
(The fact that anglophonics haven't discovered him until the rocketeering of the spinoff-games makes me wonder how many of the classical publishers gate-keepers are in fact gate sleepers only awaking when they hear "vampire" or "wizard-boy") *sigh*
I absolutely adore Sapkowski, how did you know?? ^_^
I read both Last Wish and Blood of Elves. Now waiting impatiently for Time of Contempt. I'm a big Witcher (story) fan :}

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiart View Post
Also, you might find this place useful: http://www.fantasybookreview.co.uk/
Thanks for that link. I found that place too looking for some recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No lists or anonymous recommendations will help you completely avoid trash/garbage. I recommend not being quite so paranoid about encountering the occasional bit of trash and just read. You could actually discover a great book/author no one else knows about that way. And when you do come across something "bad"... just stop reading it. Libraries are great for trying out stuff you're leery of without committing $$.

In my opinion, a mission to never encounter (or purchase) "bad" books is the best way to ensure you're going to miss out on some great ones. And the bad ones probably won't leave any permanent scars even if you did happen to accidentally finish a couple of them.
That is true, but I figure it can minimise the damage. Its more about the time for me. I dont want to waste my time reading garbage, when there are so many good books out there. Plus, I have to read a lot for my study, so reading fantasy is a luxury time for me. I dont want to waste it in vain.

Thanks to everyone who recommended me something, I will check it out.

As for questions of what I like, I must say I'm just a beginner in reading fantasy, but I found my self quite enthralled by it. My favourite authors are Andrzej Sapkowski and Sergei Lukyanenko (his Night Watch tetralogy is amazing). I like dark and gritty stuff, atmospheric and without the necessary division of evil/good. Moody and satirical main character, you know the antihero type (hello Geralt ). Occasional element of horror is welcomed, as well as typical magical/mythological stuff. Different spin of vampire/werewolf/zombie is always welcomed. No romance please, or very little. I tend not to enjoy the sappy stuff. I dont like comedy either so much.

I hope with this you can give me some recs responding more to my preferences.

Thank you all for answering.
Cheers.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:25 AM   #12
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
The first thing which springs to my mind when "gritty", "dark" and "anti-hero" are mentioned is The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie. Apart from fulfilling said requirements it's also an excellent read.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
You may also want to check the Malazan Book of the Falllen. Its a series of ten novels that very much fit what you just mentioned you like. The series is fantastically awesome.
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
See, 50/50. I loved the First Law, and really didn't get on with the Malazan Book of the Fallen.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I try to find the best fantasy authors since I do not read so much fantasy. The ones I like the most now is Steven Brust, Joe Abercrombie and Scott Lynch.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote