Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
eas187
eas187 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Manage Collections in Kindle Touch

I install CALIBRE to manage collections of books (it's a bummer it manually from the Kindle itself) and then, when I go to download the required plugin, I read that apparently does not work with kindle Touch ...
Know if this is true? Any way to solve it?
We also accept suggestions for managing collections without using Calibre.
Thanks
eas187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Unfortunately with the Touch you will either have to manage the collections manually on the device or use one of the free Amazon programs to manage them and then import them into the Touch. Many users use the kindle for pc app to manage them, myself included.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
eas187

then I can sort and manage my books in collections in the PC and then import them to the kindle ?
Old 01-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No. Unfortunately on the Kindle Touch, unlike earlier models, the file which stores information about collections is not in the part of the file system that's visible to "the outside world", hence collections can only be managed on the Kindle itself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No. Unfortunately on the Kindle Touch, unlike earlier models, the file which stores information about collections is not in the part of the file system that's visible to "the outside world", hence collections can only be managed on the Kindle itself.
Not entirely accurate. You can manage them on the pc/mac free programs, then on the Touch use the Import Collections functionality to import them into the Touch. Make sure all the books on the Touch are in collections prior to the import and to avoid problems make sure you have updated to 5.0.3. This is the only method other than the Touch itself to get collections on it.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Not entirely accurate. You can manage them on the pc/mac free programs, then on the Touch use the Import Collections functionality to import them into the Touch. Make sure all the books on the Touch are in collections prior to the import and to avoid problems make sure you have updated to 5.0.3. This is the only method other than the Touch itself to get collections on it.
You can do that to import the actual collections into the Kindle, yes, but will it put the books into the collections for you? I didn't think it would. Apologies if I'm wrong about that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
eas187

when you speak of free applications, you mean, for example, the Kindle for PC?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can do that to import the actual collections into the Kindle, yes, but will it put the books into the collections for you? I didn't think it would. Apologies if I'm wrong about that.
Yes it will do it for you, if the books exist on the kindle then they go into the same collections as they are on the device you are importing from. If the books are not on the kindle, then it just imports an empty collection. It is not 100%, but I think that has more to do with how quickly Amazon's servers are updated with all your changes. I wish there was more control over which collections were imported and the ability to remove collections from their servers. The longer you have a device the more junk collections you will end up with on their servers. I don't think Amazon gave a lot of thought to collections and books which were not purchased from them when they implemented this process, but that is a non-issue because at least this makes it easier to do than doing it all manually.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eas187 View Post
when you speak of free applications, you mean, for example, the Kindle for PC?

Yes, this is the one which I use to manage my collections. To make it easier I created a plugboard in Calibre that includes the collection name it belongs to so it shows in K4PC so I can easily move it to it's collection. But mine is easy to do because my collections are based on their tags/genres.

Nyn
Old 03-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
sumpin
Enthusiast
sumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to behold

Device: down to just a PW4
I was frustrated with this as well, having used Calibre with a Kjndle Keyboard, so I came up with this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171132
sumpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
Touch
Touch doesn't litterTouch doesn't litter

I was looking for a Kindle Touch Collections Manager and found a free program called "Kindlean." Supports other models too. Just google Kindlean. It works fine.
Touch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #12
lebod
lebod began at the beginning.

Hey there Touch!

Does this kindlean recognize ebooks that are not bought from amazon? (I'm at work and can't try it out, but I was organizing my kindle touch yesterday and it came very clear to me that I need some sort off manager for my PC to do it.)
lebod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
lebod
lebod began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebod View Post
Hey there Touch!

Does this kindlean recognize ebooks that are not bought from amazon? (I'm at work and can't try it out, but I was organizing my kindle touch yesterday and it came very clear to me that I need some sort off manager for my PC to do it.)
Answering to myself and anyone else who might be interested: yes it does. Very handy manager (except the restarts). Thanks for sharing!
lebod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

I've decided to try this program and of course since I have more than 100 books on my KT, I decided to purchase it rather than remove books. Does anyone know if it is possible to use two different computers with the program and each computer recognize the the collections, instead of having to rebuild the collections on each computer? Is there a file that can be shared between the computers?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I've decided to try this program and of course since I have more than 100 books on my KT, I decided to purchase it rather than remove books. Does anyone know if it is possible to use two different computers with the program and each computer recognize the the collections, instead of having to rebuild the collections on each computer? Is there a file that can be shared between the computers?
I decided to buy this program as well, so far working quite well for sorting my files. I was missing having a collection manager on my Touch.

FYI a quick google reveals a coupon code: 50freakingpercentoff
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote