Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
JoeyBlaze
Enthusiast
JoeyBlaze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
ES file explorer: getting error "network path not found or timed out"

Hey all,
I'm trying to side load some apps wirelessly using ES file explorer. I followed the instructions in the sticky and have gotten to the point where I put in my username and password in the file explorer. I see the icon for my PC, but when I tap it, I get an error saying "network path not found or timed out, try again"

Any idea what I can do to fix this? I don't have any firewalls or anything so not sure why I'm getting this error. Any help would be appreciated.
JoeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBlaze View Post
Hey all,
I'm trying to side load some apps wirelessly using ES file explorer. I followed the instructions in the sticky and have gotten to the point where I put in my username and password in the file explorer. I see the icon for my PC, but when I tap it, I get an error saying "network path not found or timed out, try again"

Any idea what I can do to fix this? I don't have any firewalls or anything so not sure why I'm getting this error. Any help would be appreciated.

Try checking the Anonymous box. If you select Menu and then Scan, ES File Explorer should find your PC, and once it does hit the Back button to end the Scan. Touch your PC and the Fire should automatically connect anonymously.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
JoeyBlaze
Enthusiast

Thanks for your help, I'm just really confused. Right now I am at the screen that asks for my username and password. I have no idea what username and password they are asking for since I don't use a password to log into my Pc. Any idea where I can find this username and password?
Old 12-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your help, I'm just really confused. Right now I am at the screen that asks for my username and password. I have no idea what username and password they are asking for since I don't use a password to log into my Pc. Any idea where I can find this username and password?
Check the Anonymous box and then OK. If that doesn't work, press and hold your Server (PC) and delete it. Then run a Scan as I posted above.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
JoeyBlaze
Enthusiast

I see my server. When I tap it, it asks for a username and password. If I just tap anonymous and hit OK, nothing happens. I can't continue without inputting a username and password, but I have no idea what username and password I need to input.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
I see my server. When I tap it, it asks for a username and password. If I just tap anonymous and hit OK, nothing happens. I can't continue without inputting a username and password, but I have no idea what username and password I need to input.
Do you have a user logon on your PC? If so, try that. If you don't use a username and password to logon just try OK and see what happens. You can try setting Password Protected Sharing Off in Network & Sharing Center and see if this helps.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
JoeyBlaze
Enthusiast

Thanks for trying to help. I think I'll just use a USB cord to side load. Just doesn't want to work wirelessly.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Try admin for both user and password.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
JoeyBlaze
Enthusiast

Tried admin for both with no success. Thanks though.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
obsessed2
Wizard

Check all of your Settings under Network & Sharing Center (assuming you have a Windows PC):

Network Discovery: On

File Sharing: On

Public Folder Sharing: On (Read Only)

Password Protected Sharing: Off

Network Path not found may indicate an improper IP address in ES File Explorer. Did you Scan for Servers or did you try and add it manually? Try this, long press (press and hold) your PC in ES File Explorer and when the popup menu appears select Delete. Then press Menu from the Option Bar, New and then Scan. Do NOT select Server. Let ES File Explorer automatically finding your PC and once it pops in press the Back Arrow on the Options Bar. Also, do you have any folders shared on your PC? If not this could be causing your problem. Don't give up because I know you can do it and once you figure it out you will be happy you did, trust me.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-22-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
JoeyBlaze
Enthusiast

I'm doing everything you say. File explorer finds my pc. That's all fine. The problem comes after when it asks for a username and password. This is where I'm stuck.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
JoeyBlaze
Enthusiast

Wait, I got in!! I just had to uncheck "turn on password protected sharing" on my pc.

Now the next problem. Clicking my pc in file explorer brings up 5 folders "admin$" "C$" "D$" "IPC$" and "users". I'm not sure where to go to find the .apk files I saved.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
obsessed2
Wizard

Try Wi-Fi File Explorer and see if it works. Enter the File Explorer Web URL address into any browser on your PC you are looking at your Fire's Directory Structure. Make sure you enter the ENTIRE address in your web browser as it appears in the File Explorer Web URL. For example: 192.168.1.47:8000

Note: You have to Exit the App once you are done using it otherwise it could interfere with screen saving etc. (Options Bar --> MENU --> Exit). More specifically from the App description: PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.

Download directly using your Fire's browser: http://download.pandaapp.com/android....3-id4561.html

This is a much older version of the App but it does work. You can also buy a newer version of Wi-Fi File Explorer Pro from the Amazon App Sore and at last check it was 99 cents.

http://www.amazon.com/Dooblou-WiFi-F...4606163&sr=1-2

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-22-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Wait, I got in!! I just had to uncheck "turn on password protected sharing" on my pc.

Now the next problem. Clicking my pc in file explorer brings up 5 folders "admin$" "C$" "D$" "IPC$" and "users". I'm not sure where to go to find the .apk files I saved.

You have to Share the folder where your APKs are stored. Find the Folder using Windows Explorer and Right Click on it and select Share. From the pull down Menu you can select specific users or Everyone. For the Fire Everyone should work.

The safest method is to have ONE Shared Folder and turn on sharing when you are ready to sideload files to the Fire and then Right Click and select Share and Stop Sharing to prevent external intrusion. However, if your wireless network is password protected with WEP or WPA (preferred) then the chance of intrusion is relatively small and you should be able to leave the shared folder on.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-22-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #15
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:

Look under users\yourname. There you should see your desktop, documents, etc. Just navigate to the folder you saved the file in.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote