Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
Mystery and Crime Lovers... Come Here

we can talk about the books and the authors in this topic.
we can discuss about the books, authors, genres of mystery and crime novels (like hard-boiled, true crime, locked room etc..)

i can start the discussion with this question?
what is your favourite author/authors in golden age and today?

my authors are

in golden age

agatha christie
sir arthur conan doyle
ellery queen
erle stanley gardner
mickey spillane (hard boiled)
carter dickson (locked room)

today for new authors

glenn meade
jack higgins
harlan coben
ted dekker
jean christophe grange
maxime chattam
craig russell

i will add the authors when i remember

Last edited by coderserdar; 11-02-2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: add harlan coben and ted dekker
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Typing in author's names and creating lists of names is easy, coderserdar.

May I make a suggestion, if you wish this thread to have a chance at success. Try this:

Start analyzing and discussing the authors that interest you. I realize that English is not your first language, but that should not stop you from making some interesting comments and observations on authors and/or books that fascinate you. After all, by discussiing books/authors that you find interesting, you share a unique perspective: How YOU feel and think about an author or book.

Perhaps you could make a post on a recent book you read - one which you simply wish to discuss, going over various points that might generate some interesting discussion(s).

Have fun!

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-02-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Typing in author's names and creating lists of names is easy, coderserdar.

May I make a suggestion, if you wish this thread to have a chance at success. Try this:

Start analyzing and discussing the authors that interest you. I realize that English is not your first language, but that should not stop you from making some interesting comments and observations on authors and/or books that fascinate you. After all, by discussiing books/authors that you find interesting, you share a unique perspective: How YOU feel and think about an author or book.

Perhaps you could make a post on a recent book you read - one which you simply wish to discuss, going over various points that might generate some interesting discussion(s).

Have fun!

Don
(Moderator)
thanks don
you are right, english is not my first language
i am from Turkey

for example

i like agatha christie so much
the mystery and crime book i read first is hers
the murder on orient express
when i finished the book, i was so astonished and i decide to read just mystery and crime books

when i look at the characters in books

hercule poirot : a megolamanus detective, he does not exhaust himself fro looking clues, he just asks some questions to people, and he finds the murderer by physicology, he loves arthur hastings so much, but he finds him, a little strange because of his thoughts about the human physicology (lokking from the keyhole of a door etc...)

jane marple : an old, funny, cute english lady, lives in st. mary mead and she finds similarities between the crimes and the events which happened in st. mary mead (it is right for the people too.)
she likes observing, and whole village likes it,

tommy and tuppence beresfords : a funny couple, smarter of the couple is prudence (tuppence), they are playing detective game and they choose one famous character in every crime. their novels are like spy novels more than characteristic mystery novels...

the other funny characters in agatha's books are

albert (hercule poirot and tommy & tuppence beresfords)
dr. haydock (jane marple)
colonel race (hercule poirot)
headinspector battle (looks like fool but so clever boy)
miss bantry (jane marple)
raymond west (jane marple)
headinspector japp (hercule poirot, p.s. hastings does not like him)
ariadne oliver (hercule poirot, p.s. the addict of apples, crime novel writer )

the books i can recommend for her

death on nile
murder of roger ackroyd
ten little niggers
murder on orient express
the abc murders
etc...

Last edited by coderserdar; 11-02-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Don't forget Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe. My favorite Mystery Writer.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
coderserdar
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Don't forget Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe. My favorite Mystery Writer.
Apache
i just read one book of Rex Stout
if you love so much
you can give us detailed informaton about the author and his books and the characters in his books
Old 11-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I loved Agatha Christie growing up. and I have great fondness for any of Michael Connelly's books. They're usually detective type novels with a murder or other type of crime involved, good characters and interesting story.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
@codersedar, I give you a thumbs up for such determined contributions to the forums. You are just too cute.
I think you have a lot to offer, but your posts are a bit brief. Mostly lists.

I am Canadian and have always lived in Canada. I have Romanian roomates and am always enthralled by their world views. I am sure I would be enthralled with the Turkish one, maybe more as Turkey tried to join Canada a few years back.

Quote:
just read one book of Rex Stout
if you love so much
you can give us detailed informaton about the author and his books and the characters in his books
Smiley and all this comes of as a bit hostile especially in view of the fact that you do not provide much detailed information on the books yourself. Little bursts perhaps, but even your reply to Don had more lists than your thoughts on the books.

Now for Rex Stout

Nero Wolfe is wonderful. Classic detection written in an amusing manner..

The books are not too long and not too short. He tells the story and doesn't go on and on about the scenery and the furniture and how to make the world as he wants it to be.

The author is an interesting character himself
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Stout
In some ways not unlike his main character Nero Wolf.

If I was to recommend these books to you it would be based not only on the excellent writing but that he wrote in several books on Wolfe's experiences in the Balkans, which I believe is quite close to Turkey.

Last edited by speakingtohe; 11-02-2011 at 06:05 PM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
coderserdar
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
@codersedar, I give you a thumbs up for such determined contributions to the forums. You are just too cute.
I think you have a lot to offer, but your posts are a bit brief. Mostly lists.

I am Canadian and have always lived in Canada. I have Romanian roomates and am always enthralled by their world views. I am sure I would be enthralled with the Turkish one, maybe more as Turkey tried to join Canada a few years back.

Smiley and all this comes of as a bit hostile especially in view of the fact that you do not provide much detailed information on the books yourself. Little bursts perhaps, but even your reply to Don had more lists than your thoughts on the books.

Now for Rex Stout

Nero Wolfe is wonderful. Classic detection written in an amusing manner..

The books are not too long and not too short. He tells the story and doesn't go on and on about the scenery and the furniture and how to make the world as he wants it to be.

The author is an interesting character himself
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Stout
In some ways not unlike his main character Nero Wolf.

If I was to recommend these books to you it would be based not only on the excellent writing but that he wrote in several books on Wolfe's experiences in the Balkans, which I believe is quite close to Turkey.
yes, nero wolfe and archie goodwin are extraordinary characters in mystery literaty
and baklans are close to Turkey
i will listen your advice and start to read rex stout
Old 11-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
coderserdar
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I loved Agatha Christie growing up. and I have great fondness for any of Michael Connelly's books. They're usually detective type novels with a murder or other type of crime involved, good characters and interesting story.
harry bosch is a strange char in mystery literaty
he finds the murderer like poirot case, so we can say that harry is a golden age mystery char, but his behaviours are so intense and hard, because of this, we can say that connelly's books look like hard boiled style.
but in finally, connelly is a talented writer and his books are so good
Old 11-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I agree, Harry Bosch is excellent.

Some similiar protaganists are
J. P Beaumont by J. A. Jance
SImiliar in that main character becomes well to do (as Harry Bosch does) and continues working.

Spencer By Robert B. Parker. Not well to do but likeable and action packed. Ligt reading.

Fletch by Gregory MacDonald. Gets rich by not quite legal means. Kind of a scoundrel but you get to like the guy.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
If you like Gregory MacDonald try his 4 Flynn Books. Flynn, The Buck Passes Flynn, Flynn's In and Flynn's World. They are quirky and humorous.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:08 AM   #12
coderserdar
Groupie

chapter two

sir arthur conan doyle

the creator of the most common detective in mystery novel world, Sherlock Holmes, the only consultant detective in world
sherlock holmes is so different from Hercule Poirot
because, he finds the murderer with physical clues like footprints, cigarettes, etc.
i think that hercule wins sherlock in a battle...
watson describes holmes like this
Knowledge of Literature – nil.
Knowledge of Philosophy – nil.
Knowledge of Astronomy – nil.
Knowledge of Politics – Feeble.
Knowledge of Botany – Variable. Well up in belladonna, opium and poisons generally. Knows nothing of practical gardening.
Knowledge of Geology – Practical, but limited. Tells at a glance different soils from each other. After walks, has shown me splashes upon his trousers, and told me by their colour and consistence in what part of London he had received them.
Knowledge of Chemistry – Profound.
Knowledge of Anatomy – Accurate, but unsystematic.
Knowledge of Sensational Literature – Immense. He appears to know every detail of every horror perpetrated in the century.
Plays the violin well.
Is an expert singlestick player, boxer and swordsman.
Has a good practical knowledge of British law.

when we look the partner of him, dr. watson, a wounded doctor from a ghazi bullet in afghanistan, he is curious about his homemate in baker street 221b, and he is used to show holmes' knowledge and geniusity to the readers,

and the other characters in his books are

lestrade and griegson : detectives of the Scotland Yard, in most cases they want help from Holmes
irene adler : the only woman who beats holmes with her intelligence
moriarty : the biggest enemy of the holmes, whole opposite of holmes, the consultant criminal
mycroft : the elder brother of holmes, he is working in intelligence service of united kingdom, and he is as smart as holmes

the books i can advise are

the study in scarlet
the sign of four
the hound of the baskervilles
Old 11-13-2011, 04:27 AM   #13
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
from the golden era i particularly like dorothy sayers lord peter wimsey novels - if only there were more of them, but the modern author who took up the series didn't do it for me.

i actually prefer some of the ngaio marsh books to agatha christie, although some of ac's are darn good stuff.

from the more modern novels i like spenser - like speakingtohe says, light reading, but i like it. i also enjoy robert b. parkers' other series. i'm about halfway through the sir john fielding mysteries by bruce alexander. the first bunch aren't available as ebooks, so i bought 'em used. i'm not a huge fan of historical fiction, but i like the voice in these books and the mysteries.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:45 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
from the golden era i particularly like dorothy sayers lord peter wimsey novels - if only there were more of them, but the modern author who took up the series didn't do it for me.
Lord Peter Wimsey is, I think, my very favourite series of detective books. He seems like a real person to me; his character develops from book to book, and he's a person you CARE about. I've not yet read the Jill Patton Walsh Wimsey books. I know that the first two were based largely on Sayers's work; the most recent is entirely her own work.

Quote:
i actually prefer some of the ngaio marsh books to agatha christie, although some of ac's are darn good stuff.
I'm working my way through Ngaio Marsh's books at the moment - I've read the first five so far. Thus far I've not been terribly impressed; the stories seem a little superficial compared to Agatha Christie or Dorothy L. Sayers. I'll stick with them - perhaps they get better as they go on?

Other favourites of mine are Elizabeth Peters's "Amelia Peabody" stories, mostly set in Egypt at the turn of the 20th century, and Lindsay Davis's "Falco" books, set in 1st century Rome.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #15
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i was very disappointed with the jill patton books. she has none of the feeling of the people or relationships imo. as a fellow wimsey enthusiast, i'd be interested to hear your opinion of the pattons if/when you read 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Lord Peter Wimsey is, I think, my very favourite series of detective books. He seems like a real person to me; his character develops from book to book, and he's a person you CARE about. I've not yet read the Jill Patton Walsh Wimsey books. I know that the first two were based largely on Sayers's work; the most recent is entirely her own work.
isn't that funny? to me, it's the exact opposite! on the other hand, it might have made a difference that i started the books out of order with "black as he's painted", which was my favorite despite its heavy dose of period racism. and i loved two of the side characters in this book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm working my way through Ngaio Marsh's books at the moment - I've read the first five so far. Thus far I've not been terribly impressed; the stories seem a little superficial compared to Agatha Christie or Dorothy L. Sayers. I'll stick with them - perhaps they get better as they go on?

Other favourites of mine are Elizabeth Peters's "Amelia Peabody" stories, mostly set in Egypt at the turn of the 20th century, and Lindsay Davis's "Falco" books, set in 1st century Rome.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote