Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Dumb parental questions

Okay y'all, I'm not an Apple person, so bear with me, please. I have played with Mac, but never owned an iPod of any variety. My son just called - his dad is getting him an iPod Touch. Now - I know the Touch can access the app store, and iBooks, and I know there's a Kindle app for it. I am assuming here that Stanza will work on it also? If so, can I send him non DRM'd files, for example from the library here? Ours are formatted so much better than PG's. Also, does the Touch come with a charger?

Thanks for putting up with newbie questions

Last edited by phenomshel; 02-18-2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: stanza takes epub, not mobi... *smacks self*
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Sure, Stanza will work with the iPod.

And, as far as I know, you can e-mail him non-DRM files and he'll be able to open them on the iPod. If he gets the Kindle app, he can open non-DRM'd mobi files. If he gets the Stanza app, or iBooks (or a bunch more), then he can open/use epub books. Oh, and PDFs will work fine too in Stanza.

If I may make a suggestion? [I am assuming you are not physically near your son...]

Sign up for a free Dropbox account (you get 2G of storage free). Then, you can create a public folder in which you can "drop" any book. Then, you can send your son the link to that folder and he'll be able to access it from his iPod's web browser and will be able to download any book you put in it. And, you can keep putting books in that folder and just tell your son they are there. Saves you e-mailing stuff and he'll be able to look at any book you place there at any time he wishes.

Can you tell I really like Dropbox?

Oh, and yes, a new iPod does come with a charger.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

P.S. But I don't think libraries have non-DRM books, do they?
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Only thing you need to remember that since he is buying an apple product he will be forced to buy his music from apple as well, no shopping around. That's not possible on an ipod. Personally I avoid them like the plauge becuase of the fact that they are proprietary, in my world - the world of IT professionals the rule goes - open standards good proprietary bad. Unfortunatly that means MP3 good ipod bad.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
FourOhFour
HTTP Error
FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Only thing you need to remember that since he is buying an apple product he will be forced to buy his music from apple as well, no shopping around. That's not possible on an ipod. Personally I avoid them like the plauge becuase of the fact that they are proprietary, in my world - the world of IT professionals the rule goes - open standards good proprietary bad. Unfortunatly that means MP3 good ipod bad.
[citation needed]

(which, btw, you won't find 'cause it's 100% wrong. iPods since the beginning could play MP3s just fine. Your purchased music on CDs can be ripped, or you can buy stuff from Amazon or whoever else sells MP3s)
FourOhFour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOhFour View Post
[citation needed]

(which, btw, you won't find 'cause it's 100% wrong. iPods since the beginning could play MP3s just fine. Your purchased music on CDs can be ripped, or you can buy stuff from Amazon or whoever else sells MP3s)
Almost any digital music you buy can be played on an iPod, iPhone, Ipad, etc. iTunes will play any .mp3 file.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
That entire post has to rank as one of the most ill-informed I've ever seen posted on these boards.

<deep breath>

Nobody is "forced" to buy their music from Apple; you can shop around to your heart's content and buy non-DRMd MP3s from a variety of sources, including Amazon, or convert your own CDs to that format using Apple's iTunes software, or a variety of other software programs that are available for most computer platforms. If you buy music from iTunes, it will be in non-DRMd AAC format (Advanced Audio Coding) also used by Sony, Nintendo, Nokia etc.. etc.. If you find you need to play these songs on another device that only supports MP3, they are easily converted directly in iTunes or through other third-party software.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
This is complete nonsense. As an IT professional it's disappointing that you don't take the trouble to ascertain the truth of the situation before making "pronouncements" like this which are 100% incorrect. You can load any MP3 file onto an iPod.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Okay y'all, I'm not an Apple person, so bear with me, please. I have played with Mac, but never owned an iPod of any variety. My son just called - his dad is getting him an iPod Touch. Now - I know the Touch can access the app store, and iBooks, and I know there's a Kindle app for it. I am assuming here that Stanza will work on it also? If so, can I send him non DRM'd files, for example from the library here? Ours are formatted so much better than PG's. Also, does the Touch come with a charger?

Yes, you can send him DRM-free Mobipocket or ePub files from the MobileRead library - either will work fine on the iPod Touch. But is there any reason that he can't simply download them himself?

The Touch doesn't come with a charger; it charges via its USB connection from a PC.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can buy a charger very cheaply that will plug into the iPod, then into the wall. I find that it's more convenient for me. I have one at home and one at work.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Quote:
That really made me laugh! You can play almost any music format on the iPods and you can buy them anywhere you want. Too bad IT Professionals are completely misinformed and don't know what spell-check is in your world.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post

Since everyone skipped over the charger question, the Touch comes with an AC charger or you can charge it using USB on a computer.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Since everyone skipped over the charger question, the Touch comes with an AC charger or you can charge it using USB on a computer.
The iPod Touch does NOT come with an AC charger (at least it doesn't here in the UK). I addressed this in post #8 above.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
The Touch definitely does not come with a charger; however, if he happens to have another charger that accepts a USB cord, then he might have something that will work anyway. The black brick charger that comes with most of the Kodak cameras these days will charge an iPod if you use the iPod cord. My son carries the black Kodak brick and the two cords with him when he travels so he can charge his camera and then his ipod (obviously, he cannot charge them at the same time with only one brick).
Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I buy music from Amazon all the time and I double-click on it and it automagically goes into itunes (and then to my ipod).

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I also don't like Ipods becuase of the prices are much higher then MP3 players. Glad I am not correct about hte prioprietary aspect.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote