Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #31
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
... for the JWD PMP-7100 liseuse.

Another GREAT use is a comic book (.cbr or .cbz) viewer. I first have to unzip the files to their own directory and extract those individual .jpg's, but it's worth it, seeing it rendered in colour and hires (800x600 is better that my 640x480 REB1200!)
A video clip showing how the JWD PMP-7100 utilizes colour .pdf and/or comic books. It's given me new insights on how to use the Directional pad to finely-increment/scroll the image down BY HOLDING THE THING FOREVER!

nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #32
DeadMan
Enthusiast
DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
DeadMan, have you found any niche use for this product?
First and formost it is an eReader to me. I convert everything to ePub and format them to the way I like. And it renders them pretty good for the most part. Images don't always place properly, and they some times stack up on top of each other, but over all I'm very happy with it as an eReader. Still would like to change or improve the ereader software in it though.

But... since I know it has functions that are blocked from us, I just have to dig into it (I think we are all drawn to this for whatever reason). Takes me back to my Xbox/PS1/PS2 days doing the same thing Things have changed a lot, but some of the old tricks still work.

I would like to get the movie player functions working on it just so I can throw a couple movies onto it and play em at work for the gang to sit around and watch while it's slow for the winter.
DeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:28 AM   #33
DeadMan
Enthusiast
DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
The Slick is 800x480, I picked one up but I will probably return it after the Next1 arrives. I doubt there is much you want from its firmware. Its firmware isn't very good imho.
I was reading about all the little flaws in the other thread. I was just looking for starting points, and clues as to what needs to be changed in the Next1 firmware to get the other options working. All these similar readers have a lot in common, and I just wanted to know if there were changes in the codecs, updates, or whatever may stand out.
DeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:48 AM   #34
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's really not all that much heavier than the Kindle.
It was a joke because you wrote £79 as "79 Lbs." Lbs refers to weight, not money.
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #35
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
BTW, the Next1 is down to $79.99 on Geeks.com, plus $8 shipping. I picked one up, since I've been looking for a decent LCD device for reading in bed and other low-light conditions.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #36
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric11210 View Post
It was a joke because you wrote £79 as "79 Lbs." Lbs refers to weight, not money.
Oh.

Actually, I was making a joke too.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #37
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
I received my Next1 eReader yesterday and I am both pleased and displeased:

Pleased

It works well as an eReader - good clear display and makes good use of the page (no huge margins).
Four font size choices on my EPUB books; the smallest size is more than big enough (I would like an even smaller size, but no big deal).
Page loading speed isn't bad, but there is a noticeable pause at the first page of each chapter.
Adjustable screen brightness, auto-shutoff options, jump to page, catalog (jump to chapter) and auto-rotate features work well.

The unit looks well-built, although it a couple of ounces heavier than the Augen.
The screen front panel extends to the edges of the device, which I think looks sharp.
No problems with "forgetting" the microSD card or connecting to a PC via USB.

Displeased

The screen is more reflective than the Augen or the Slick reader.
It's not too much of a problem because the white background hides reflections, but the black borders do reflect more than I like.

The image viewer is just as bad as the one on the Slick, with jagged lines even on images resized to the screen resolution (800 x 600).
No video playback - I knew the Next1 didn't have this feature, but I'm starting to miss it more than I expected.

A little bit of flaky behavior - two instances where the screen got all messed up while reading and the Next1 shut down.
This might be due to needing a full battery charge, so I'll see what happens.

If anyone manages to get different firmware onto the Next1, please post!
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #38
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsebs View Post
I received my Next1 eReader yesterday and I am both pleased and displeased:

Pleased

It works well as an eReader - good clear display and makes good use of the page (no huge margins).
Four font size choices on my EPUB books; the smallest size is more than big enough (I would like an even smaller size, but no big deal).
I know what you mean, the smallest setting isn't quite small enough, but I can learn to live with it (especially, as my eyes get older...)

Quote:
A little bit of flaky behavior - two instances where the screen got all messed up while reading and the Next1 shut down.
This might be due to needing a full battery charge, so I'll see what happens.
This recently starting happening with me, especially so when I open larger .pdfs or complicate .epubs (many hyperlinks). I think it just runs out of internal memory and safely "shuts-down". Actually I think this is a good way for the e-reader to tells us it's maxed out and needs to reboot!

Quote:
If anyone manages to get different firmware onto the Next1, please post!
I found a firmware that adds "video support" to a model very similar to the Next1 (the EBKT-101 by sigmatek.), but it's firmware upgrade tool is different and I haven't yet tested if it can even see my device. I'll be testing this out soon and will report on my findings....

I'm enjoying (colour) .pdf reading now given that I know that holding down the D-pad to finely increment the page down to the bottom works and then I'm able to hit the page turn button to get to the top of the next page!!! Just set "zoom to width" and read in landscape orientation (the g-sensor automatically flips it for you!)

While reading .epubs, I still miss clicking on any link on the page, but I'm adding/editing more "Catalog" (toc.ncx) links to special copies of my epubs to make accessing them more pleasurable!

All in all a nice e-reader for $100.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #39
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Quote:

I found a firmware that adds "video support" to a model very similar to the Next1 (the EBKT-101 by sigmatek.), but it's firmware upgrade tool is different and I haven't yet tested if it can even see my device. I'll be testing this out soon and will report on my findings....
The menu on the EBKT-101 shown in the picture looks a lot more interesting than the one on the Next1.
I did notice that the article says that the EBKT-101 has a resolution of 800 x 480 vs. 800 x 600 on the Next1.
It wouldn't surprise me if that's incorrect though, since a number of articles about the Next1 also gave an incorrect resolution of 800 x 480.

I'll be anxiously waiting to see what you can do with the EBKT-101 firmware.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #40
nrapallo

Quote:
but it's firmware upgrade tool is different and I haven't yet tested if it can even see my device. I'll be testing this out soon and will report on my findings....
...Well, the EBKT-101 and firmware tool are totally incompatible. The LiveSuit.exe firmware upgrade tool didn't recognized my unit and its firmware *.bin are not compatible with the RK28_DM.exe that is needed to write to my device. So this is a dead end!

In fact, I checked a lot of firmware images but they either were for 5" screens (and in Chinese) and/or didn't have the buttons mapped properly (D-pad down as the "Ok" button). I tried firmware v0.4.16: RK2729.img from the IMAGIN-IMEB5-update and P7BOOK20101019.img as well as firmware v0.4.10: Hyundai_HYV_C-700_v-1.0.5 and Hyundai_HYV_C-700_v-1.0.1 but no dice! They all "upgraded" successfully using RK_28DM.exe but were useless for this 7" 600x800 hardware.

In the end, I just reflashed the firmware I previously made from the 150MB hidden partition. I did this using UltraISO to open the Hyundai_HYV_C-700_v-1.0.5 firmware file and replaced it's contents with my hidden partition files and saved. It shows up as software version 1.0.0.0 boot code 0.4.16 and can be successfully downloaded onto another firmware's copy restoring the unit to it's original form!!!!!

If anyone requires a copy of that Next1 original firmware image, just PM me.

Quote:
The menu on the EBKT-101 shown in the picture looks a lot more interesting than the one on the Next1.
I did notice that the article says that the EBKT-101 has a resolution of 800 x 480 vs. 800 x 600 on the Next1.
It wouldn't surprise me if that's incorrect though, since a number of articles about the Next1 also gave an incorrect resolution of 800 x 480.

I'll be anxiously waiting to see what you can do with the EBKT-101 firmware.
Still waiting for the supposed Jan. 2011 launch/shipments of the Prestigio 3072B and the availability of any firmware files. Once users get that unit in their hands, hopefully they will create firmware .img files (as I did above) and ..... the fun will begin....
Old 12-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #41
nrapallo

Quote:
They all "upgraded" successfully using RK_28DM.exe but were useless for this 7" 600x800 hardware.
I forgot to mention the firmware files that FAILED to startup once I downloaded them using RK28_DM.exe, namely: the PER3052BW-102.img from the Prestigio website as well as the W950A.img from the Delstar website. These can now be scratched off the list as truly not compatible!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #42
nrapallo

Quote:
I got a sneak peak at the Prestigio PER3072B product manual and the Main Menu (home page) screen on that e-reader LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prestigio PER3072 manual pg 7.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	63786

The only other different feature not available on the Next1 is Video. Behold!!!!!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prestigio PER3072 manual pg 20.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	63787

Really looking forward to this unit's firmware.....
Old 12-31-2010, 01:23 PM   #43
ebsebs
Connoisseur

Quote:
The only other different feature not available on the Next1 is Video.

Really looking forward to this unit's firmware.....
That's an understatement!
Do you have it yet?
How about now?

I'll try to be patient, but no promises...
The addition of video support would make the Next1/Prestigio a pretty amazing gadget for $80!

On a more trivial note, I discovered that if you press and hold the Return button for about 2 seconds,
you go directly back to the main menu screen, without having to press it multiple times.
(But you probably already knew that!)
Old 12-31-2010, 04:22 PM   #44
nrapallo

Quote:
Do you have it yet?
No...

Quote:
How about now?
No... not yet...

Are we there yet?

No... not yet... but waiting ever so patiently!

Quote:

I'll try to be patient, but no promises...
The addition of video support would make the Next1/Prestigio a pretty amazing gadget for $80!
That's one feature I too am hoping for!

Quote:

On a more trivial note, I discovered that if you press and hold the Return button for about 2 seconds,
you go directly back to the main menu screen, without having to press it multiple times.
(But you probably already knew that!)
Thanks, that's a good hint! I didn't know that and was somewhat frustrated by having to return up each level....

Keep on exploring....
Old 01-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #45
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Having Table of Contents is a nice plus on this reader. Unfortunately it seems heavier than the Slick Ereader from Big Lots.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
next1, nextbook, per3072b, prestigio