Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
ShadowedAsh
ShadowedAsh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Manga on the Kindle?

I am, currently, an owner of the PRS-500 and it bricked on me couple months back and now I am looking to replace it. Everything I've read about the Kindle sounds great but one question seems to bother me. On the PRS, it was pretty easy to convert a series of pictures to a .PDF and read manga that way. I know the Kindle doesn't support .PDF's but is there any other way to get my manga fix on this? It will be the deciding factor of whether or not to buy it. Thanks.
ShadowedAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
It does support PDF via the email conversion. However, unlike Sony the Kindle has less grey levels, so I am not sure how well it would convert.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowedAsh View Post
On the PRS, it was pretty easy to convert a series of pictures to a .PDF and read manga that way. I know the Kindle doesn't support .PDF's but is there any other way to get my manga fix on this?
If your PDFs contain images scaled for a 600x800 screen, then Amazon's free PDF conversion may be all you need. In fact, it might be worth trying no matter what size the images are. If you have an example that can be posted on public forums, upload it here for someone to try.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
DMThomas
DMThomas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
If you can wait a few more days, I'm going to try manga on my Kindle as soon as I get it.
DMThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
DMThomas
DMThomas began at the beginning.

Well I tried some manga, there's a .NET app on here that converts the JPGs into a PDF. Then I tried mobipocket creator from that PDF. I also tried the amazon conversion from the PDF.

The result is less than thrilling. The 4 shades of gray leads to the images not looking too great, but also beacause of the resolution/size of the screen the text isn't too readable.

That was just an initial test. I'm not sure if there's better ways of doing it that will lead to a nicer experience. ;-)
DMThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2008, 03:46 AM   #6
ak13
ak13 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Tried loading up some manga through the pictures folder, it works fine, text was a bit difficult to read though. Used photoshop to autoresize all of the images to the correct WxH so that it would take up much space.
ak13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
shima
読みすぎる
shima began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I have manga photos as all of my screen savers on the kindle. The key is to resizing them to the proper screen size so they look the best. I haven't tried putting an entire manga on the kindle though yet.
shima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
FooSoft
FooSoft began at the beginning.

It actually works really well. There's a built in image viewer that keeps track of the last image you viewed, etc. I also wrote an app to process and organize manga images, works great (http://www.foosoft.net/mangle)
FooSoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
falcolas
falcolas began at the beginning.

Has anybody tried using the re-color functionality on the JPEG files before converting? Might help to reduce the grey levels before putting them on the Kindle so you can fine tune the images before they are automatically converted.
falcolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
I actually just got my Kindle today and I used FooSoft's "Mangle" program that he described above. I scanned for viruses, and it's safe. Even better, it works GREAT!

My Angel sanctuary Manga looks gorgeous on my Kindle. Very nice to read too. Mangle is easy to run...it renames and resizes the pictures to fit. The directions are easy to follow.
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #11
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
What output does Mangle give you? Is it a pdf? or another format?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #12
IntegrityWolf
^_^

It outputs the manga into a series of jpeg pics that are in order and fit to the Kindle's screen. Each jpeg is like the "page" of a book. There is also two smaller files included that allow the Kindle to "read" the jpegs like a book and remember your place.

Mangle outputs the jpeg files in a single folder. Just drag that folder to your Kindle/SD card and it will show up in your book list. Then just read like a normal ebook, turning the pages normally.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:43 PM   #13
FooSoft
FooSoft began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityWolf View Post
It outputs the manga into a series of jpeg pics that are in order and fit to the Kindle's screen. Each jpeg is like the "page" of a book. There is also two smaller files included that allow the Kindle to "read" the jpegs like a book and remember your place.

Mangle outputs the jpeg files in a single folder. Just drag that folder to your Kindle/SD card and it will show up in your book list. Then just read like a normal ebook, turning the pages normally.
GIFs actually, but yeah that's the general idea
FooSoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #14
IntegrityWolf
^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooSoft View Post
GIFs actually, but yeah that's the general idea
Oops, yeah GIFs...

Oh by the way, (to FooSoft) I love your Mangle app. I just put a couple mangas of Elfen Lied ontio my mem card last night using your program. It looks gorgeous on the Kindle and is very easy to read. I can't thank you enough.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #15
RadicalxEdward
Enthusiast
RadicalxEdward began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
@foosoft

Hello,

I know these posts are pretty old, but i just got my hands on a kindle for a little while and all i wanted to do was read manga on it. and your app is what made that possible. So i just wanted to register real quick and post a quick thank you.

-RxE
RadicalxEdward is offline   Reply With Quote