Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Discussion: Risen by Jan Strnad (spoilers)

ARE YOU SCARED???? Have you been converted? Do you know Seth?

Mooowhahaha.....

Discuss... now!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
ARE YOU SCARED???? Have you been converted? Do you know Seth?

Mooowhahaha.....

Discuss... now!

BOb
I thought this was supposed to start on the 20th, I'm not finished yet
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I thought it was a very good read.

The only thing I was confused about was
Spoiler:
when they wanted Peg to prove herself by killing her own son. Why? She wasn't converted herself so why would she even want to? Annie had already been converted so that wasn't a factor. She was the only one where a non-converted was used to convert somebody else. It assumes that Peg wanted to convert and be converted herself. Also, nobody else had to prove themselves
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I thought this was supposed to start on the 20th, I'm not finished yet
Well... close enough... my calendar pinged me so I started it. It is actually the 20th in some time zones right now.

BOb
Old 10-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

edbro... it was a bit strange. I think "Seth" was a bit maniacal and wanted to prove he could control people, especially women can they made things interesting. Although, as you notice... peg did not do the deed as she was told too.

I would have like to get a bit more background... who is Seth... how did he get this power, etc. I guess you are just supposed to assume he is some manifestation of "evil"?

I really enjoyed the book... it was good fun and well written... I didn't expect one of the "good guys" to die at the end... that was a bit strange.

BOb
Old 10-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I kind of skipped this month's book. I did pick up a copy, but things got busy and with the others I'm currently reading it just kept floating down my TBR list.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I kind of skipped this month's book. I did pick up a copy, but things got busy and with the others I'm currently reading it just kept floating down my TBR list.
Mee too....again....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I didn't finish, I can't finish, I don't know what it is. I don't care about the characters, the way they kind of rise is cool, but there just doesn't seem to be any substance. It's one of the only books I've not been able to finish. I just can't stay awake while reading it. Maybe I'm reading it at the wrong time and will re-visit, I don't know. Maybe I'll just suck it up and read the last 140 pages. But 200 pages is a really long time for me to continue reading.

I did find the death by beetles/cockroaches cool, but thought that it was ill described, I like gory details in horror books I guess.

This book reminds me heavily of the Jonathan Mayberry series, Ghost Road Blues for whatever reason.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I enjoyed the book, thought it was perhaps a little long for too little substance.

Is Seth-worship meant to be a metaphor for religion, pointing out how mindless the followers are, how religion takes over their lives?

I was disappointed that the cliched ending of having the survivors be Peg, Brant, Tom and Annie didn't pan out - yes even though it's a cliche, it's satisfying. How did Cindy survive? She was just a minor player and doesn't fit the formula. I consider Brant's demise a cop out. The main guy should always survive. Or everyone perishes (that's a cop out too but not as much of one) I was so sure he was just pretending conversion so he could save Peg & Tom.

I think Tom & Cindy should have encased Grimm's remains in cement. With him coming to life, struggling, and drowning nightly, he probably won't decompose enough so that his torso will work loose, float to the surface, and resurrect. The chains may eventually rust out though, so in a year or two or ten he'll be alive again.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I read the book over 2 nights (working ).. When I had finished, I had to go back to the beginning to read the ending..

I was a bit annoyed when the same scenes were described several times from different viewpoints..

Overall I thought it was a good story, but didn't frighten me, as I'd like horror novels to do.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #11
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I really enjoyed the book... it was good fun and well written... I didn't expect one of the "good guys" to die at the end... that was a bit strange.

BOb
Yes, that caught me by surprise too, and I read that part several times to be sure I had read it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post

Overall I thought it was a good story, but didn't frighten me, as I'd like horror novels to do.
It didn't frighten me either, not really, but the concept was chilling. It reminded me of Stephen King kind of stories-- they're not always truly frightening, but the concept behind it is.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:06 AM   #12
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Yes, that caught me by surprise too, and I read that part several times to be sure I had read it correctly.

It didn't frighten me either, not really, but the concept was chilling. It reminded me of Stephen King kind of stories-- they're not always truly frightening, but the concept behind it is.
Yep... but it has to be something that COULD happen... Or believably so...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Yep... but it has to be something that COULD happen... Or believably so...
Really... I haven't read 1 horror book where I thought it "could" happen. Then again, I don't believe in paranormal stuff exists while others do. But, I love reading about it... I'm a die hard X-Files fan.

BOb
Old 10-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I though it was a good book. Stephen King-ish. But I could have used some more description in certain parts. Maybe I missed it, but what kind of dog did the Kemplers have? I kept trying to picture it but had 1000 breeds running through my head.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
I thought it was a very entertaining read. Thanks Jan!

I have a vague complaint that in the middle it bogged down a bit. There was section after the reader knows what's going on, and before things really get going. People are slowly being converted and there are fairly long descriptions of each conversion. I could have done with a few less of those.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote