Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Question jotas1-r1 alternate firmware for v5s?

Has anyone here given this a shot yet on their Astak PP?

Info here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89634
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
Has anyone here given this a shot yet on their Astak PP?

Info here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89634
I did and it's very nice. It does not have the option of deleting, copying or opening a book (which is why I am going back to the latest Russian/Buggins firmware) and it does not have the 3 display options (unless you pick the Lbook skin). The change of font in the bookshelf also does not work. What it has is the option to select one of three different "skins" (Aztak, Jinke, Lbook) and it seems very responsive, I often have to press buttons twice with the Lbook firmware, here I do not. When selecting the Lbook firmware, the three file management options do come up but I get a parser library error when I choose 1 Open (the file in question opens fine otherwise). Delete and copy work fine.

In the folder where it has the 3 skin options, it has a file I think may clear the recent file list, but I am not sure about that.
And call me crazy, it seems the print is a bit darker and clearer as well....

Well, I said it "seems" - that is always subjective, of course, I think it always seems there is more contrast when trying a different firmware because things such as layout, etc. are a bit different.
And I have had no problems with lockups or problems when changing font sizes in PDFs. I guess this firmware is a nifty way to compare three different ones at once - that's the beauty of the PP, you can change firmware without impunity.

Last edited by booknut; 07-17-2010 at 11:01 AM.
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Print is not any darker. This firmware is buggy in areas that you can lock up the device. E.g. reading a PDF and changing the font size, needs a reset on the back of the device.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
jotas
Connoisseur
jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: who knows?
Hello,

(First of all, maybe better, and if possible for you, follow replies or possible discussion over generic Hanlin and compatible readers forum. Thanks for any comment and reports.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by booknut View Post
I did and it's very nice. It does not have the option of deleting, copying or opening a book (which is why I am going back to the latest Russian/Buggins firmware) and it does not have the 3 display options (unless you pick the Lbook skin).
These options are only available over Lbook skin. Both, you're right, and also it works as it should as is expected.

Quote:
The change of font in the bookshelf also does not work.
(?) Should work. Some skins/bookshelfs anyway, have built-in hardcoded font and do not allow to change. Tip: try to change font over Lbook skin, then switch to the skin you would want to see it for.

Quote:
What it has is the option to select one of three different "skins" (Aztak, Jinke, Lbook) and it seems very responsive, I often have to press buttons twice with the Lbook firmware, here I do not. When selecting the Lbook firmware, the three file management options do come up but I get a parser library error when I choose 1 Open (the file in question opens fine otherwise). Delete and copy work fine.
As far as I can remember, this would only happen for initial release, and if opening CoolReader for FB2 books, because then it tries to launch alternate reader, i.e. the old libpdf.so library and CoolReader included by Jinke, and for some reason I was not able to make this working. Please comment if it happens for any other option. Latest versions have a much more interesting way: opens full and classic CoolReader (not latest one with some new and in progress features).

Short press = launch default and primary reader
Long press (from recent list) = long press + 1 = launch alternate and second reader according to format.

Quote:
In the folder where it has the 3 skin options, it has a file I think may clear the recent file list, but I am not sure about that.
This will clear the cache. Quite useful for new fast reopening mode and strange problems (please check README.TXT file).

Quote:
And I have had no problems with lockups or problems when changing font sizes in PDFs. I guess this firmware is a nifty way to compare three different ones at once - that's the beauty of the PP, you can change firmware without impunity.
Should not be problems here Base firmware for V5 and modules are stable from a time ago.
jotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
jotas
Connoisseur
jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: who knows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
Print is not any darker. This firmware is buggy in areas that you can lock up the device. E.g. reading a PDF and changing the font size, needs a reset on the back of the device.
Hello,

(First of all, maybe better, and if possible for you, follow replies or possible discussion over generic Hanlin and compatible readers forum. Thanks for any comment and reports.)

This should not happen. Could you please give me an example file and way to reproduce this? Thanks.

Never had a lock up using this modded firmware. Even using and testing CoolReader test versions over (usually, the worse, being back to bookshelf).
jotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Hello, do you have an email address I can use jotas?
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote