Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
EDIT: Turns out this is not true, you CAN delete books out of the archive. They responded very quickly with the below email.

If, like me, you DON'T see a particular title in your MANAGE MY KINDLE page chances are you put it in the TRASH on the MEDIA LIBRARY PAGE. Do as Whitearrow suggests and UNtrash it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...045#post687031

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for writing to us regarding permanently deleting books from your Kindle archives.

To permanently delete an item from archives, you need to access Manage Your Kindle page and scroll to the "Your Orders" section. Expanding a title by clicking the "+" button will reveal a "Delete" button to delete the title permanently.

To permanently remove a title from your Kindle account and Archived Items please visit amazon.com/myk and follow these instructions:

1. Locate the item you wish to delete in the "Your Orders" section. If you have a lot of content, you may need to use the Previous and Next links at the bottom to navigate through all of your content.

2. Click on "Delete this title" button next to the title to permanently remove the title item from your account and Archived Items.

Note that after the title is removed from your account, you will no longer have access to re-download this title unless you re-purchase it. Existing copies of this title already on your device must be manually removed.

I hope this information helps. Thanks for using Kindle.
ORIGINAL POST - DISREGARD
After I got my kindle I of course went on a downloading spree getting all kinds of books for it, some free some very inexpensive. many that I've heard of and wanted to read, a few I just tucked away for the future.

I was surprised when I learned that once you download a book from Amazon it is in your Kindle archive FOREVER. There is no way to delete it so that it won't show up any more. Yes those embarrassing books you bought in the privacy of your home are there listed in the archive for all time. The books you downloaded just to get a taste for them - and ended up hating - are stuck there on the list forever. They are listed in ALL Kindles you have registered to your account. Give your Kid a Kindle and want to have them on your joint Amazon Kindle account? They can see ALL your books. Adult, inappropriate or just bad books, they are all there ready to deliver silently by Whispernet directly to their own Kindle.

Please join me in emailing Amazon and insist that this be made possible. Hopefully the link below will take yo to their feedback page. I have attached a copy of my email to them, please feel free to modify it or of course ignore it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/conta...d=508510#csTop

Quote:
Please Please Please make a way to PERMANENTLY delete books from the Kindle archive. I downloaded 2 free Christmas "books" only to learn they were actually lyrics to Christmas songs.

After discovering this flaw I am now VERY reluctant deciding what books I buy and download and have started to seek OTHER sources for some of my books that I may want to read or just have. ***While many of these books are free books, the fact that I am NOT downloading them from Amazon means I am NOT on the Amazon site - and therefore not seeing the suggestions and offers Amazon has for me, and therefore NOT buying anything from Amazon *** This is costing you $$$.

Make it double or triple confirmations to PERMANENTLY delete something in the archive - even force it to be confirmed by email, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a way to get rid of unwanted titles in the archive FOREVER.

Last edited by Rootman; 12-08-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
You grabbed that free Western book that turned out to be cowboy and rodeo clown erotica -- it would be nice to delete this thing. I too hope that Amazon gives us the ability to delete books we do not want in our library. (It would also be nice to upload books as a backup. That is, books not aquired from Amazon.) So I'm all for rootman's suggestion to email Amazon and ask for this feature.

However, if you contact Amazon support and ask them to removed a specific book(s) they will.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Does any online bookstore actually give you the option to permanently delete books from your account? I vaguely remember something about someone who wanted Fictionwise to delete a book and they refused....
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Amazon did delete a book for me.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Amazon has deleted for me as well.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I would be satisfied if Amazon added a field to the Manage Your Kindle page to "hide book from Archive." That would eliminate the customer service issue of people accidentally deleting, but also allow for a greater degree of privacy.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
I just received this from Amazon:
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for writing to us regarding permanently deleting books from your Kindle archives.

To permanently delete an item from archives, you need to access Manage Your Kindle page and scroll to the "Your Orders" section. Expanding a title by clicking the "+" button will reveal a "Delete" button to delete the title permanently.

To permanently remove a title from your Kindle account and Archived Items please visit amazon.com/myk and follow these instructions:

1. Locate the item you wish to delete in the "Your Orders" section. If you have a lot of content, you may need to use the Previous and Next links at the bottom to navigate through all of your content.

2. Click on "Delete this title" button next to the title to permanently remove the title item from your account and Archived Items.

Note that after the title is removed from your account, you will no longer have access to re-download this title unless you re-purchase it. Existing copies of this title already on your device must be manually removed.

I hope this information helps. Thanks for using Kindle.
However it does not work. I checked the list and I had previously deleted it from the "Your Orders" section. They DON'T appear on the ORDERS list and they DO still appear in my archive. I re-downloaded them and then used the REMOVE FROM DEVICE feature and they went right back in the archive. Left the wireless on for a while and told it to re-sync again - still there.

Does this work for anyone else?
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
bxrLvr
Connoisseur
bxrLvr doesn't litterbxrLvr doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
just tried.. it no longer shows up in my archive on my iphone kindle app but if i go to "View all Orders" it still shows up there... Haven't tried on my kindle yet, cause I am paranoid about turning on wireless...
bxrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
why??
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
bxrLvr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
why??
not sure if you are asking why in reference to my post about me being paranoid... but if you are... its cause i removed the drm on a couple of the books i have downloaded from amazon so that I can add the way points.. i like to know how far I am to the next chapter...
Old 12-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxrLvr View Post
cause i removed the drm on a couple of the books i have downloaded from amazon so that I can add the way points.. i like to know how far I am to the next chapter...
How do you do that? (add 'way points' that is) - sorry to interrupt the topic
Old 12-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
bxrLvr
Connoisseur

after you stripping the drm, assuming that there is a table of contents, i drop the book in calibre and convert it to the same format, and calibre adds the waypoints based on the table of contents..
Old 12-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #13
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxrLvr View Post
after you stripping the drm, assuming that there is a table of contents, i drop the book in calibre and convert it to the same format, and calibre adds the waypoints based on the table of contents..
Cool. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
bxrLvr
Connoisseur

np
Old 12-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
are you paranoid about the stripping and Amazon seeing it? I wouldn't be. the ONLY reason they removed that one book that one time is because it was being treated like they had transferred stolen property.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote