Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #61
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!
Siwickimom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505- Sangria :) and Black Aluratek Libre
I wanted to come back to this thread and say that my comments above weren't intended to run down the Kindle. Truth be told, I had pretty much made my mind up on getting one, and then I came across a smokin' deal on the Sony and that tipped the scale for me...but I don't regret it. And now that I've had the chance to play with both of them, I definitely feel that the Sony is a better-built device. The dictionary and search functions *are* very appealing to me and that is why I say that I'm sorely tempted to get a 600. So my dream reader would be the hardware quality of the Sony coupled with the features of the Kindle, lol. You can have people weigh in with their opinions (which is what you asked for), but at the end of the day, you are the one who has to decide just how dissatisfied you are with your Sony in terms of available content and ease of use. You certainly would have no problem selling it and getting a good deal of your money back, given that they are hard to find in stores now and still somewhat in demand. But assuming you get half of what the Kindle costs now, that's still $130 on a student's budget.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a lot of wisdom in Alisa's post above. It certainly seems like a pretty hefty expense that isn't going to reap you a huge amount of benefits, unless, as she said, the added features of whispernet, searching and a dictionary really are necessities.

Like all technology, you'll get more for your money a year from now than you will today. Wait it out and see what comes along.
Siwickimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:55 AM   #62
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
If it makes your decision any easier (or tougher!) consider that refurbished Kindle 1s are available from amazon.com with full warranty for $149. Less of an upfront outlay, and the differences between Kindle 1 and Kindle 2 seem to be modest.

For that matter, you can get a refurbished Kindle 2 for $219, $30 less than new.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #63
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I'm curious if any of the Sony owners know if you guys will be able to re-download books you purchased from Sony in ePub after the transition. I was just thinking about the idea that the OP might be inclined to sell their 505 to fund buying something else. If the old .lrx titles can be replaced with .ePub, then they can be read on a different model reader that supported it or stripped and converted to Mobipocket. Otherwise, the only way to read them without a Sony reader would be with the reading software on a PC.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #64
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I'm curious if any of the Sony owners know if you guys will be able to re-download books you purchased from Sony in ePub after the transition. I was just thinking about the idea that the OP might be inclined to sell their 505 to fund buying something else. If the old .lrx titles can be replaced with .ePub, then they can be read on a different model reader that supported it or stripped and converted to Mobipocket. Otherwise, the only way to read them without a Sony reader would be with the reading software on a PC.
I think they announced that they would let users re-download them in EPUB format.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #65
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
If you want a dictionary, note-taking, etc., I think the comparison is between the Kindle and the 600 Reader. And I'd give the edge to the Reader. Unless, for some (perverse) reason, you are intent on the "instant gratification" of wireless transfer and being hogtied to Amazon's restrictive format. <SNIP>
I've got a kindle. I love the instant gratification of wireless transfer, but don't always use it with Amazon's restrictive formats. In fact, most of the books in Amazon's formats that I get are the modern books that they make available for free.

I love being able to go to places like manybooks and feedbooks while on my kindle to find the book I want, even if i'm not at home. I like being able to go to wikipedia, too.

I find it hard to consider myself hogtied to Amazon based on the fact that very little of what I read actually comes from Amazon. I can download books from other websites directly to my kindle with ease as long as they are available in DRM-free mobi, and if they're available in other DRM-free formats, I can easily download them to my computer, throw them in calibre, and read them just as easily as anyone else.
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #66
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
when I looked for A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood on inkmesh.com, I got a result that listed Sony as a device, but the only place that sold it was Amazon

I was in your same position a few months ago. I REALLY wanted to buy books via Amazon since I already use them for many purchases including their Universal Wish list that lets you save stuff from any site, even Sony's bookstore. After trying to make myself like the K2, I just couldn't do it and now glad that I didn't since I would've wanted to purchase them on the Kindle, but read them on my 505.

As for A Handmaid's Tale. I just did a quick search and found this:
Edit: Link deleted by moderator (illegal book site)

Last edited by mtravellerh; 10-19-2009 at 04:01 AM.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #67
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post

As for A Handmaid's Tale. I just did a quick search and found this:
I believe that site is considered to be a pirate site by MR.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #68
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I believe that site is considered to be a pirate site by MR.
Yeah? I just searched the title plus "ebook" and it was my second listing. Interesting if it is.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:53 PM   #69
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Yeah? I just searched the title plus "ebook" and it was my second listing. Interesting if it is.
Yeah, that guy appears to be "lending" (in exchange for 'donations') unlimited numbers of copies of his ebook "backups." And leaving it to the "borrower" to delete them after 2 weeks. He definitely has his own perverse (and illegal) concept of copyright laws. What would make you think that site is anything *but* a "pirate" site?
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #70
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
What would make you think that site is anything *but* a "pirate" site?
I didn't look that hard. The first poster mentioned that A Handmaid's Tale was hard to find, so I had to find it. Now that I've found it, I can say..."I've found another ebook!!" and will live happily ever after.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:36 AM   #71
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Yeah, that guy appears to be "lending" (in exchange for 'donations') unlimited numbers of copies of his ebook "backups." And leaving it to the "borrower" to delete them after 2 weeks. He definitely has his own perverse (and illegal) concept of copyright laws. What would make you think that site is anything *but* a "pirate" site?
+ most (at least the few I've looked at) of the books there are mostly scanned text or pdfs with horrible formatting and virtually unusable/unreadable.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote