Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Uh yes, it has a screen that's 4" diagonally instead of 3.5". That half an inch means you can fit in more text, images, words... whatever you want.

What on earth are you talking about?
I'm talking the same screen size but one being 4:3 and the other being 16:9. So say you have a 4:3 4" screen vs a 4" 16x9 screen, which hold more words?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #107
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm talking the same screen size but one being 4:3 and the other being 16:9. So say you have a 4:3 4" screen vs a 4" 16x9 screen, which hold more words?
Given a constant diagonal, the maximum surface is the square. The closest you are to a square, the largest the surface.
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #108
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Want to use your old speaker docks and other connector accessories with your new iPhone 5 and its new Lightning 9-pin port? Well, Apple has you covered:
Wow, so cheap! And I thought they'd be expensive
Old 09-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Given a constant diagonal, the maximum surface is the square. The closest you are to a square, the largest the surface.
That's why I was questioning more content on screen for a 16:9 screen.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #110
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
So, you ask for a list, and then you say you're not interested in a list.
You ask for what I want to see to dazzle me, and then you say I'm a malcontent.
Really, you need to get out of the reality distortion field, it's affecting your judgement.
I asked you for a list of what you wanted to see in an iPhone, or what this iteration was lacking, not at all what you replied with. Actually, I asked the other guy, but you butted in with some inane comment so I figured I'd give you a chance to explain your butthurt. You weren't able to follow along, apparently.

Finally, you managed to understand the question being asked of you (good first step!). You reply with a meaningless buzzword and no specific features. Impressive. That really makes me believe you've put a lot of thought into this and are not just a raving fanboy.

Remind me why you should be taken seriously again?
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #111
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Want to use your old speaker docks and other connector accessories with your new iPhone 5 and its new Lightning 9-pin port? Well, Apple has you covered:
Wow, so cheap! And I thought they'd be expensive
I called it!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #112
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Remind me why you should be taken seriously again?
Because I use my brain for decisions instead of letting marketing buzzwords do the work for me?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #113
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Because I use my brain for decisions instead of letting marketing buzzwords do the work for me?
LOL . .
Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #114
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
You would think that some people here are major stockholders in Apple and/or various Android makers.

Can't we just have a discussion about the pros/cons of what was released today?

By the way, it's a lot better when there are two strong camps battling it out for our dollars. It's a lot better for us consumers. But, everyone knew that already, right!

Old 09-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #115
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's why I was questioning more content on screen for a 16:9 screen.
True about the relative areas of 4:3 vs 16:9, but if I've calculated it right I think the iPhone 5 screen is about 6.8 square inches vs the 4S's 5.7 square inches. So, yes, at the same text size you should get a few more words.

Graham
Old 09-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #116
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
It was a tough sell, what with all those other phones with 326dpi screens, massive battery life, global frequency compatibility, the world's largest app and music stores, lightweight and thin aluminium and glass construction, leading industrial design, and so on and so forth.

If you want to snark, I'm sure you can find a circlejerk elsewhere with a very receptive audience.
WOW.

Anyway, I like the new iPhone, but I'm very happy with my new Android based phone. I have just two or three thoughts:

1. Apple has several very successful business units, but this is its most profitable and for branding purposes its most important (it being mainstream and all ).

They must have a mountain of consumar data that this is the right mix of form and features to maximize those profits and keep its userbase loyal and happy. I doubt any of us here have given 2% the thought that the exec team has to whats right for the userbase. They are not building a base now,but maintaining it.

2. Many Android (or is it anti-Apple?) fans (hi crusader ) seem to think that more choice among faster iterations and more cutting edge technology is the right mix for everyone and they really can't understand why people keep buying Apple phones. Surely those people could find better choice among android based offerings -- they say.

If Android fans theory is right, Apple release today will give Android ecosystem best chance ever to significantly take userbase from Apple. Apple thinks conservative and Android opposite. We will know in half year who is right.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #117
holymadness
Guru

Some unfortunate news: the iPhone 5 will be sold in separate GSM and CDMA versions.

This is a step backwards. Very unfortunate that North America is responsible for retarding the adoption of a global frequency standard. I wonder how they will explain the difference when you buy an unlocked phone via the website.

EDIT: Apple added some sort of chart explaining regional LTE compatibility here. My big concern: will the iPhone still work internationally? I often take mine to France and the UK. I guess 3G compatibility is unaffected, but it's disheartening to see this kind of fragmentation. Stupid telecommunications companies.

Incidentally, I didn't hear anything about a new sim card design. Did they finally decide to go for the micro-micro-sim design or will I just be able to swap out my old sim?

Last edited by holymadness; 09-12-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #118
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Incidentally, I didn't hear anything about a new sim card design. Did they finally decide to go for the micro-micro-sim design or will I just be able to swap out my old sim?
It uses a nano sim.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #119
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Apple Store back up.
Stock too.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #120
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
It's a good enough upgrade for all those coming to the end of their iPhone 4 contracts, so will sell well. At the end of the day, that's all Apple needed to do. I guess most 4S owners are locked in for another 6 months to a year.

No NFC does look like the only significant missed opportunity, but it probably needed Apple to introduce it to make it mainstream, so they may not have missed the boat here. It gives them an obvious feature in the wings for the iPhone 5S.

Graham
Closed Thread