Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
YoussefReader
Banned
YoussefReader began at the beginning.

Device: None
Do you know any eReader that can read arabic?

thanks
YoussefReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoussefReader View Post
thanks
Post example text here, post font here, I will try to make screenshot of PocketBook.
It does read hebrew, which is also right-to-left language.

Then there is pdf.
If you make pdf with embedded fonts, most of the devices out there will display it correctly.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:13 AM   #3
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
I'm with kacir. With an UTF-8 encoded source file plus the appropriate fonts installed I don't see why that should be much of an issue.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
The problem is not that Arabic is right to left. The problem is that Arabic is a cursive script with letters that connect. Whenever I have tried to view an ebook (other than PDF) in Arabic on my PB360 the letters are shown in their unconnected forms. This makes the text more difficult to read. If you make the text into a PDF, many readers, including the Pocketbook series and the Sony Readers, work. Reflow can be iffy, however, so be sure to make the text size sufficiently large.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
I did some tests, and yes, there is a surprising winner:

Stanza for the iPhone (yup, this is ePub - text copied from a news site, added to Word 2007, saved as html, converted via calibre).

The letters are connected correctly, the sentences are right to left. Since the iPhone is capable of writing SMS messages in Arabic obviously this feature can be used in Stanza.
Nice to know.

Can't confirm this for the iPod Touch or iPad, though.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote