Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Peter S. Beagle

Does anyone know anything about the ebook situation with Peter S. Beagle? I know he was hurting for money awhile back (they were fundraising for him on BoingBoing) yet I cannot find any of his books in ebook, which you would think would be the first thing they'd do. I would love to get The Last Unicorn and A Fine & Private Place but they do not seem to be available.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
He's also executor of the estates of the Pangborn clan (Edgar, Mary, and their mother Georgia), and there's been basically no recent editions of any of their books either (either paper or ebook). I don't know if this means that Beagle and his agent are holding stuff back, or that the publishers aren't interested because they don't expect to be able to sell enough copies of 40-60 year old works, no matter how good they are.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I managed to purchase a copy of A Fine and Private Place a few years ago. Waterstones had to order it, though, and I waited about a week before it arrived.

You can probably get a copy in paperback from Amazon.

Just checked. Here's the link, but can only find used copies:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fine-Private...1419433&sr=1-1

This may mean it's no longer in print.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't want a paperback though. I want an ebook.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fine-Private...1419433&sr=1-1

This may mean it's no longer in print.
A search at Amazon.com turns up:

http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Private-P...1442293&sr=8-2

It appears to be a 2007 printing.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
ficbot
Wizard

Again, I have the paperbacks. I don't want more paperbacks. I wanted the ebooks and I did not understand why they were not available given the alleged financial difficulties he was having. I was looking for any info on the EBOOKS as I said
Old 08-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
It would be wonderful if they would start working on converting old books to ebooks, but just like music, they would rather focus on the new stuff rather than the old.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
I know the feeling. I've very much like to see Peter S. Beagle's work in ebook form so I can buy and read. [sigh]
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Does anyone know anything about the ebook situation with Peter S. Beagle? I know he was hurting for money awhile back (they were fundraising for him on BoingBoing) yet I cannot find any of his books in ebook, which you would think would be the first thing they'd do. I would love to get The Last Unicorn and A Fine & Private Place but they do not seem to be available.
I don't mean to be impolite, but is there any reason why Mr. Beagle can't go out and get a job, like the rest of us have to, if he needs money?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
According to Wikipedia, he's 71 (born 1939).
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Considering he is a writer, why not try to earn money through writing or speaking?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't mean to be impolite, but is there any reason why Mr. Beagle can't go out and get a job, like the rest of us have to, if he needs money?
What is wrong with alternative ways to pay authors that are very good?

I could ask why an author does not get a real job if he need money. Then we would not have all discussions about pirating and so on. Much better that he have to have a real job like the rest of us have to.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

Device: KindleDX
I just realized that though I love his work, I've never bought any of his books new. He hasn't seen a dime off of me. I don't know if he has the rights, but I hope if he does, he puts them on kindle himself and cleans up. I'd buy!
Marioninyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did purchase Two hearts by Peter S. beagle at Fictionwise. It's a short story sequel to The Last Unicorn. But alas, it's no longer for sale. Why I do not know. It was multiformat.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So if Peter needs money, tell him to sell eBooks of his books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote