Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Looking for: Small, FOSS, long battery life

I'm looking for a small reader (preferably light, of course) with a long battery life (chargeable via USB, if possible) and, very important, completely open source software (preferably Linux, but Android would do, if there is no Linux device which matches the criteria).

Do any of you know of such a device?

I want to use it as a kind of trekking tablet to keep maps on (and other things), but without gimmicks like "Earl" (if that's ever released...)

Thank you.

PS: Given that I would like a small device, it would need an accordingly high resolution.

PS 2: By completely FOSS I do not include certain programs which may or may not ship with the reader, but the base system (kernel and drivers) must be completly open and preferably vanilla.

Last edited by ManDay; 05-29-2014 at 01:22 PM.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
There are some readers that run on Linux (IIRC, even the Kindle), but if you are looking for a reader that is open in such a way that you can tamper with it yourself and compile and install your own software without resorting to cracking and hacking the reader, then I think you're out of luck.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Have you considered the Asus Eee Note EA800?
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Pretty much any e-ink ereader runs either linux or android. You can usually hack them to install anything you want.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:46 AM   #5
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies. My concern is that I don't expect the default software configuration to provide what I need (i.e. a map, let alone with a good user interface) so I expect that I will hace to write my own program. By FOSS I just want to make sure I don't run into any unexpected problems due to closed-ness (e.g. I need a different kernel but I can't compile a working kernel because all the drivers are compiled in and propriatary).

So I take it the Kobo (on which I know people have installed software like XCSoar) does not match those requirements?
Advert
Old 06-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is no "completely open source" reader. Things like the display driver and reading apps will always be proprietary code.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is no "completely open source" reader. Things like the display driver and reading apps will always be proprietary code.
Try Koreader with the kobos. I think it fits the bill. I mean it's free software. And it's now quite stable. I use it on my Kobo Glo and it's an excellent and very reactive reader.

There is a very active thread about it on this forum.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Or have a look at this thread, maybe that's kind of what you want:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222123
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Try Koreader with the kobos. I think it fits the bill. I mean it's free software. And it's now quite stable. I use it on my Kobo Glo and it's an excellent and very reactive reader.

There is a very active thread about it on this forum.
That's a reading application, not a reading device. The OP is after a device with a completely open source operating system. No such device exists.

It's one thing to install a different reading app on an eInk device; it's quite another to try to use an eInk device as a general-purpose tablet, which I get the the impression is what the OP is trying to do. eInk devices are designed primarily for long battery life and low power consumption, and hence have slow CPUs and very limited memory. This makes them very poor general-purpose tablets.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-11-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
ManDay
E-Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Or have a look at this thread, maybe that's kind of what you want:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222123
That looks pretty good - how is that not what I want, HarryT? (Closed applications aside, my concern is with an open base/kernel).
Old 06-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

See my previous message about the shortcomings of using eInk devices as tablets. I really don't think you'd find it a terribly satisfying experience, but there's only one way to find out: try it and see!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
ManDay
E-Reader

I do not mean to use it as a general purpose tablet. I want to use it primarily as a map but I have very specific requirements as for the interface to allow for efficient use.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Best of luck with your project. Please let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
ManDay, a link in the German subforum here brought me to this site that perhaps is of some interest to you and shows what might be possible in regard of maps and the kobo.

http://max.kellermann.name/projects/xcsoar/kobo.html
and some more links and pictures, but in German:
http://www.gleitschirmdrachenforum.d...Mini-Touch-Glo
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
dboddie
dboddie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
ManDay, I bought a Kobo Mini and was able to put my own kernel and user space distribution on it, so it's certainly possible. I wasn't interested in using the Wi-Fi module so I haven't looked at whether there's a truly free kernel module for that.

The main problem I can see now is the availability of the Kobo Mini. Nowhere in the UK, for example, seems to stock it. What happened? Did Kobo retire the product?
dboddie is offline   Reply With Quote