Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #16
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Me too. I hope that Sony introduces a glow reader.
That would make it just about perfect! I would happily buy one.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #17
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
The advantage of the T1 is that it can be rooted and can run a version of CoolReader. For me, that is a much better reader, with clearer text and many more options, than the Sony Reader that comes with the T1 or T2. It also allows organization by folder, though it's not as easy to use as I'd like. I'm finding I still like my 350 a lot also.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #18
Shaleen77
Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Sony PRS 650
Does the PRS-T2 allow books to be organised into 'collections' as on the prs-650 ?

Also, does Calibre support the PRS-T2 to sideload ebooks from the PC ?

Oh yes, where the orig post regarding diff between PRS-650 and PRS-T2 is concerned, the prs-t2 has no audio (like prs-650 does) - so no audio books possible.

Thanks

Shaleen
Shaleen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #19
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
The advantage of the T1 is that it can be rooted and can run a version of CoolReader. For me, that is a much better reader, with clearer text and many more options, than the Sony Reader that comes with the T1 or T2. It also allows organization by folder, though it's not as easy to use as I'd like. I'm finding I still like my 350 a lot also.
I had a rooted T1, but went back to stock, and then added the home screen mod and the "June reader" mod. Together with Calibre plugboards, I like it much better than when I was using Coolreader on it. I found Coolreader annoying, to be honest. I also didn't notice any difference in text clarity, in fact the reason I got a second T1 was to compare the two-rooted and stock-side by side. Now they are both unrooted, with the mods installed.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 AM   #20
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
T1 audio is only nice have and so poorly programed I only tried it out. Too many steps to access setting and and change volume, no external volume control and drains battery faster than just reading.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #21
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I never understood wanting audio on an ereader. If you want to listen to audio books, there's tiny 1.5" mp3 players that do the job much better without the bulk of the ereader, or even your cell phone. Why would anyone opt to carry around a bulky ereader to listen to an audio book?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #22
vbkun
Enthusiast
vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Maybe sony
My PRS-650 died like in early december. Replaced by a T2.

First of all, before my general opnions, someone mentioned earlier in this post that the browser sux because it has no text reflow. This is an untrue mistake. I'm running system ver 1.0.0.01.02010 (wich is pretty old already, haven't update yet since I intend to root but right now no time to gather info onit), and the browser DOES reflow. You just need to pinch to the zoom amount you then double tap and it reflows.

Now to my general opnions:

- Faster page turns, faster loading, overall, faster.
- Screen looks slightly whiter to me :3.
- the weight is GREAT, really lighter, wich makes it a lot more confortable to hold. Of course that being lighter makes it feel like a piece of cheap plastic junk your hands, but really more confortable junk to me :3
- There's all the wifi and evernote and stuff, a nice plus but not a important enhancement imho.
- Got no problems with calibre, suported the same way as it was with 650.
- Collections are there too.
- Audio: I never even used the 650's audio, i don't even get why it could be usefull in a reader.
- Also, pdf reflowing works a lot better than on 650. Like A LOT. I had some pdfs that would get completly unreadable, loose images, etc, with the 650's reflow but in T2 they reflow perfectly.

And just on a sidenote, I can't get why people find coolreader so great. While i was reader-less I had the chance of trying it on my xoom and phone and well... i found it really bad and unpleasent :X

The only feature I confess I missed so far from the 650 is the words log. Maybe sony added it back in some update but then I don't know yet :3
vbkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Don't worry too much about your choice. I rarely use my x50 models anymore.I love my T2, and it has many advantages like lighter weight and superior looking text on the screen and whiter background.................................. If your main goal is to just read books without tinkering with the Sony firmware, then the T2 is probably more than adequate for your needs and you will be delighted as I_macd said. Good luck! I hope you enjoy it!
I've got all the Sonys from 350 on, and agree with Booky Girl - it's an excellent device, in my mind an decent improvement on the T1 (love the neat controls, very nifty.... ) I also think it's got back to feeling more substantial, but p'raps that's just the looks - the matt finish is great - but it just seems to have a bit more "heft".
And don't I ever agree with her comments about using the thing "out of the box" ! I can't be fussed with messing about for marginal gain, for what I want to use it for - reading.
(But you do have a handy little browser should you feel like it)

Enjoy
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #24
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbkun View Post
My PRS-650 died like in early december. Replaced by a T2.

First of all, before my general opnions, someone mentioned earlier in this post that the browser sux because it has no text reflow. This is an untrue mistake. I'm running system ver 1.0.0.01.02010 (wich is pretty old already, haven't update yet since I intend to root but right now no time to gather info onit), and the browser DOES reflow. You just need to pinch to the zoom amount you then double tap and it reflows.
I said there's no re-flow on the T1. I don't know about the T2. I'll have to try again. It's such an obvious and essential feature.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote