Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Professorshak
Professorshak began at the beginning.

Device: none
For newspapers & magazines: Nook, Kindle, or iPad

I've narrowed my selected down to 3 devices, two of which I can purchase now and the other would require a bit more time.

The primary purpose of the reader would be for reading newspapers and magazines, with maybe an occasional book. Selection is important, and Amazon seems to offer auto-update for daily papers. Amazon seems like the better choice but will B&N catch up? Though the kindle has the keys on the bottom, I like the nooks feel.

I could go for the iPad but I'm not so sure about that either.

Magazines/newsPapers I read:
The Economist, TIME, ReadersDigest, The New York Times, Wall Street Journal
Misc: I get digital downloads to several publications which come in PDF format
Professorshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
as of right now between Amazon and BN, Amazon has the better choice but BN will catch up as time goes on. BN also delivers daily with subscriptions as well.

Now if this is going to be your primary reason then the iPad would be best, larger screen and the color display is part of reading magazines.

If reading books were to be more often then the Nook or the Kindle are better options than the iPad.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
mlstein
Enthusiast
mlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it is

Device: iPad (one)
Calibre has really excellent news-downloading capabilities that bypass the subscription model and work on pretty much any ereader. You should check out that route; I get the NY Times top stores--about 36 of them--and much else every morning. There are a number of good threads about Calibre's news feeds on this forum.
mlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Or you can wait to see if they ever decide to release the Skiff
http://www.skiff.com/skiff-reader.html
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
Or you can wait to see if they ever decide to release the Skiff
http://www.skiff.com/skiff-reader.html

that looks like it may be dead in the water, to bad that would have been fun . But who knows. we'll see.
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professorshak View Post
I've narrowed my selected down to 3 devices, two of which I can purchase now and the other would require a bit more time.

The primary purpose of the reader would be for reading newspapers and magazines, with maybe an occasional book. Selection is important, and Amazon seems to offer auto-update for daily papers. Amazon seems like the better choice but will B&N catch up? Though the kindle has the keys on the bottom, I like the nooks feel.

I could go for the iPad but I'm not so sure about that either.

Magazines/newsPapers I read:
The Economist, TIME, ReadersDigest, The New York Times, Wall Street Journal
Misc: I get digital downloads to several publications which come in PDF format

Zinio for Magazines and Press reader for Newspapers are very hard to beat on the Ipad (in my opinion)
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
that looks like it may be dead in the water, to bad that would have been fun . But who knows. we'll see.
I've already seen a bunch of people talking about how they will primarily be reading newspapers and magazines. There's clearly a demand. I hope they do not kill it. I really do.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
boswd
Banned

Quote:
I've already seen a bunch of people talking about how they will primarily be reading newspapers and magazines. There's clearly a demand. I hope they do not kill it. I really do.

me neither, I actually would buy that possible before an iPad,

what a great concept.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
me neither, I actually would buy that possible before an iPad,

what a great concept.
I Don't think you'll see the Skiff come to market - my opinion is that large format e-ink reader has lost its market window. (Most consumers) will not buy a 9 or 10 inch e-ink device when they can have an ipad or something similar for the same price point.

I think the market will split into ultra low end value eink readers (value priced not feature poor) and Ipad type devices that are multifunction including the 2 or 3 high efficiency daylight readable color screen technologies coming out. I would love to see Amazon come out with a sub $100 5 inch eink device - I think that would compliment the $3,000,000 + ipad owners that are out there now.

I know we all love the gadgets here, but the key is what will sell the most books - driving down the price of the reader will continue to help mainstream ebooks. My yardstick for general acceptance is when people finally stop asking me "hey, how do you like that thing?"

I have all my law books on my ipad now and the reading experience is sublime compared to reading PDF's on my Kindle DX. The speed, annotation, zooming and color make for a very nice user experience. I do like the e-ink screen for outdoor reading but to be quite honest 95% of my reading is done indoors (especially in summer - I live in Phoenix AZ)
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
Professorshak
Professorshak began at the beginning.

Device: none
got the nook today...

Got the Nook WiFi today and with the 14 day return policy, I'm gonna see how well it fares with magazines and newspapers. I'll return it if Im not happy.
Anyone have some advice they'd like to share?
Professorshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #11
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
I Don't think you'll see the Skiff come to market - my opinion is that large format e-ink reader has lost its market window. (Most consumers) will not buy a 9 or 10 inch e-ink device when they can have an ipad or something similar for the same price point.

I think the market will split into ultra low end value eink readers (value priced not feature poor) and Ipad type devices that are multifunction including the 2 or 3 high efficiency daylight readable color screen technologies coming out. I would love to see Amazon come out with a sub $100 5 inch eink device - I think that would compliment the $3,000,000 + ipad owners that are out there now.

I know we all love the gadgets here, but the key is what will sell the most books - driving down the price of the reader will continue to help mainstream ebooks. My yardstick for general acceptance is when people finally stop asking me "hey, how do you like that thing?"

I have all my law books on my ipad now and the reading experience is sublime compared to reading PDF's on my Kindle DX. The speed, annotation, zooming and color make for a very nice user experience. I do like the e-ink screen for outdoor reading but to be quite honest 95% of my reading is done indoors (especially in summer - I live in Phoenix AZ)

I think you're right the Skiff and the Alex are two high end devices that are a victim of timing..
Old 06-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
BenLee
eReader Junkie

We definitely some way to have both a large screen and portability. Devices as large as the DX or iPad seem too clunky for some, yet provide a great reading experience.

Foldable, collapsable devices, and even rollable devices need to be explored more. Something like the Libretto would be nice if the battery could sustain for more than 2 measly hours.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #13
boswd
Banned

Quote:
We definitely some way to have both a large screen and portability. Devices as large as the DX or iPad seem too clunky for some, yet provide a great reading experience.

Foldable, collapsable devices, and even rollable devices need to be explored more. Something like the Libretto would be nice if the battery could sustain for more than 2 measly hours.

if you were able to surf the web on the Skiff I would easily have chosen that over an iPad. for the reasons ou mentioned, the benablitly etc part.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #14
BenLee
eReader Junkie

Speaking of web,...the QUE would have been really cool to check out this week had it not been delayed yet again. It supports email/powerpoint/word/excel and a bunch of other neat stuff. Much more multifunctional than your average e-ink device, but they do charge an incredible amount for it.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #15
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
So for reading newspapers and magazines the iPad wins by virtue of interface and color screen over the Kindle DX? If I understand this correctly.

Can I use Calibre's RSS feeds on an iPad?

If I were to buy an iPad for reading newspapers and magazines (and maybe text books or tech manual books) how much memory do I need?
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote