Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
EZ Reader Firmware Versions

I just went to http://www.mobiebook.com/fw.asp, which has EZ Reader Firmware files. The description says "Do not support DRM mobi files." Is this the version that supports eReader DRM books? Has anyone installed the new firmware?
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post
I just went to http://www.mobiebook.com/fw.asp, which has EZ Reader Firmware files. The description says "Do not support DRM mobi files." Is this the version that supports eReader DRM books? Has anyone installed the new firmware?
this (1/20/2009) is the Hanlin version of the same date and it supports DRM just fine I believe. Actually I think the "DO not support DRM mobi files" is an error even in the original released software although the newer one is much less buggy.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have the EZ Book and I downloaded the firmware update for the mobibook site and updated my reader. When I got my reader I put the latest BeBook firmware on it and liked it. But I have to say that the lates EZ Reader firmware turns pages faster and the display is cleaner to me.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
Shadow
Enthusiast
Shadow began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader
Question

Hello,

First time posting.. I just picked up an EZ Reader at Fry's today.. great price $229 after sale and rebates.. Anyways, the unit has old firmware on it.. from Oct of 2008. I found the firmware update on mobiebook for Jan 2009. I read the instructions from Jinke on how to update the V3. I even had a 1GB SD card as the EZ Reader comes with a 2GB card which the instructions say to use a 1GB card. All so far was good.

I followed the instructions by pulling the update file out of the rar and putting the file on the root of the SD card. I even added a free ebook on it to confirm that the reader can see files on this SD card. (it does see the book just fine)

But when I start the update process it does a check of the file and says it is an invalid file. I even pulled the bebook update file to see and same results. I must be doing something simple wrongly but I can not see what it might be.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Shadow
Enthusiast
Shadow began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader
***Update***

I got it figured out.. I needed to format the card with "Panasonic SD card formatter" after that it was able to do the update. Sorry if this is a rehash of old news but wanted to post this for any other new EZ Readers owners out there..

You can find the Panasonic SD formatter here..http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure it is due to the firmware are the fact that I have be opening and reading out of large books but my EZ Reader locked up this afternoon and I had to hard boot it.

Chuck
Old 03-31-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life

I was reading a short book this afternoon and my EZ Reader rebooted. I am going back to the latest BEBook firmware.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Has anyone tried reading lit files on the ezreader? I don't like the way they look on the Bebook and was wondering if lit support was better on the ezreader. Thanks.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Ellen. You should try converting your .lit files to .prc. It is easy and only takes a minute per book. You need ConvertLit from here http://dukelupus.pri.ee/ and Mobipocket Creator from here http://www.mobipocket.com.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I was reading a short book this afternoon and my EZ Reader rebooted. I am going back to the latest BEBook firmware.
I also had this problem with EZ Reader Firmware. I switched to Hanlin Firmware and the problem went away. However I now use OpenInkPot firmware which is, IMHO, very much better but does not support DRM. This is fine with me since all of my books are DRM free.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #11
cvkemp
Loving life

What formats does OPENinkpot work with.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
Has anyone tried reading lit files on the ezreader? I don't like the way they look on the Bebook and was wondering if lit support was better on the ezreader. Thanks.

Ellen
.lit files are wonky on the EZ Reader. With both firmwares that I've tried (the original and the BeBook January update), .lit files are temperamental. What I usually do is format shift to .rtf.
It isn't so much an appearance issue for me, it's more they don't always do what they're supposed to. I have one book that reboots the EZ Reader numerous times. Others take forever to index and/or turn pages.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Ellen. You should try converting your .lit files to .prc. It is easy and only takes a minute per book. You need ConvertLit from here http://dukelupus.pri.ee/ and Mobipocket Creator from here http://www.mobipocket.com.
If he has lit files that he can read on the BeBook he probably doesn't need convertlit. The BeBook doesn't support protected LITs right?

So, just Mobipocket or Calibre to convert them to mobipocket format should work fine.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #14
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
I have these tools and have used them along with others. The thing is this: I hate reformatting books. One of the reasons that I added the Bebook to my Ebook device collection was that it supported non-drm lit files. I was just hoping that maybe one of the other firmware versions would yield better results.

Ellen
Old 04-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
imaredr
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
.lit files are wonky on the EZ Reader. With both firmwares that I've tried (the original and the BeBook January update), .lit files are temperamental. What I usually do is format shift to .rtf.
It isn't so much an appearance issue for me, it's more they don't always do what they're supposed to. I have one book that reboots the EZ Reader numerous times. Others take forever to index and/or turn pages.
Thanks for your answer. I had been thinking about using a different firmware, but from your answer, I'll stick to the one I have.

Ellen