Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
MoonBuggy
MoonBuggy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
A Question About External Linking

Hi, I've had a bit of a search but I couldn't find an answer to this particular question: is it possible to embed a link to another local file (but one which is external to the ePub), and will the B&N nook respect this?

Basically, I've been putting together simple ePub files listing the series order of some books in my collection - that way I can check on the nook to see which one comes next when I finish reading - but it seems like it'd be a much more elegant way to manage the library if these lists could link to their respective books. Is this going to be possible?
MoonBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
I guess if it's for you own personal use, then I don't see why not.
as for it knowing where the link goes, ie
Code:
<a href=".../moonbuggys harddrive/">nextbook</a>
then I'm guessing it would have to be pluged into your computer.

or if you have them stored on a web server type of thing.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
MoonBuggy

I was planning on using links within the nook's filesystem, not my computer's filesystem. The problem is, all the examples I've seen use relative paths within the ePub itself - I don't know how to force an absolute path outside the file.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBuggy View Post
I was planning on using links within the nook's filesystem, not my computer's filesystem. The problem is, all the examples I've seen use relative paths within the ePub itself - I don't know how to force an absolute path outside the file.
I suggest you try just a bunch more ../ to back out of your EPUB into the file system.
(see if that works)

I use Sigil, so my path tends to be: bookname.epub/OBPS/Text/file.xhtml
dot dot slash would look for another part in Text

so you might try ../../../otherbookname.epub (assuming the books are in the same folder)
By NOT using an absolute path (starting with a slash,you don't need to know where in the file system your book folder is, only where it woud be relative to your book.

I am almost positive, this will cause issues with epub-check, even if it did work
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:48 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work at all. See this article for a future possibility.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work at all. See this article for a future possibility.
You obviously have your finger on the pulse of things.
I keep falling in the trap of: "epub is just a digital replacement for paper books"

If you add Video, links to (external)) cites, don't you have a Web browser instead?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
MoonBuggy

Thanks for the help guys; it doesn't seem to work, but it was worth a try! I didn't realise that there wasn't already a framework in place for external linking, but I guess with any luck the suggestions in that article will be implemented in some fashion.