Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 10-10-2008, 02:01 AM   #1
bigmat1201
bigmat1201 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
New to ereaders, questions about Hanlin

I have never owned a proprietary ereader, i've used my treo as an ereader but that about it, so I don't know much about them, with that being said,
I heard that the V9 would be out by early 2008, now its mid-late 2008 and still no V9?

I was wondering, when it comes out will there be a V9 from Hanlin, Bebook and the other company's or just Hanlin (I really didn't want an ereader with chinese symbols on it)?

With the bigger screen, should I be able to read any pdf I want and not have any of the problems associated with the 6in screens and native 8.5X11in PDFs, like zooming?

Does the hanlin V3 really support all the formats that it says it does, the ones I'm interested in are .chm, .lit, and PDF?

Do all the links in the .chm files work, will I have to do any converting to get these formats to work properly (I have Huge .chm and PDF books), or are they truly native?

Why do they call the Hanlin "the Chinese counterpart to the Sony Reader", the hanlin sounds soooo much better than the sony ereader, with all the different formats and a non-proprietary SD card reader, am I missing something?

I haven't done much research on ereaders yet, but the Hanlin looks like the best one, the only problem that I read about is that the mobi support is really bad, is that true, or has it been fixed?

Is mobi the only DRM format hanlin offers? I used to buy ebooks for my palm on ereader.com and they used .pdb, I tried mobi for my palm, but I had problems with words missing in my ebook, that pissed me off and I switched to ereader, anyway, I'm guessing that hanlin don't support .pdb?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, I have alot more research to do before I get ready to buy.
bigmat1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmat1201 View Post
I heard that the V9 would be out by early 2008, now its mid-late 2008 and still no V9?
It's the problem with PVI- screen manufacture. No screens - no device. Maybe in half a year we get it.

Quote:
Does the hanlin V3 really support all the formats that it says it does, the ones I'm interested in are .chm, .lit, and PDF?
From the formats you mentioned, .lit and .chm support is rather ugly and limited. Links do not work in chm.
PDF books works good (but Sony with pdf reader from Adobe shows many files more correctly, as for scanned books - they are similar).

Quote:
Is mobi the only DRM format hanlin offers?
Yes, Mobi is the only DRM format.
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:06 AM   #3
sorareader
sorareader began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
Why do they call the Hanlin "the Chinese counterpart to the Sony Reader", the hanlin sounds soooo much better than the sony ereader, with all the different formats and a non-proprietary SD card reader, am I missing something?
And don´t forget the battery issue! With a V3, it´s rather easy to change (and get) the battery yourself. In the case of the Sony PRS, you have to send the device to Sony. On the PRS´s side, I guess that you could say that it has a more polished (and beautiful) design.
sorareader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The V9 was in the prototype stage earlier this year but then the risk of breaking the screen was just too great. It is being redesigned to use plastic backing instead of glass and then it will be much more rugged. The wait is worth it IMHO. It should be out early next year and available on several units by the mid point of next year I would expect.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorareader View Post
And don´t forget the battery issue! With a V3, it´s rather easy to change (and get) the battery yourself. In the case of the Sony PRS, you have to send the device to Sony. On the PRS´s side, I guess that you could say that it has a more polished (and beautiful) design.
We have had a couple of members buy a new battery on eBay and change it them selves (the 500 not sure about the 505) so it is possible to replace them if you are ambitious.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:49 AM   #6
rjh
Connoisseur
rjh doesn't litterrjh doesn't litter

Device: TungstenT3 Nokia770 BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorareader View Post
New Sony looks just stunning, the BeBook looks very utilitarian. I don't think that either has very good ergonomics, which is something all readers seem to need more work on.

What is the V3 battery? Is it available from 3rd party sources - it looks generic.
rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:08 AM   #7
bigmat1201
bigmat1201 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Does anyone know of a store that sells the Bebook, or the Hanlin V3, or any of the other ereaders near Houston. I would love to try one out.
bigmat1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:36 AM   #8
sankar10
sankar10 began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
New Sony looks just stunning, the BeBook looks very utilitarian. I don't think that either has very good ergonomics, which is something all readers seem to need more work on.

What is the V3 battery? Is it available from 3rd party sources - it looks generic.
It is nokia 4c or 5c battery which is commonly available . I am right now using one of them without any difficulty
sankar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:56 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
bigmat1201, you might want to edit the device in your profile since you don't have a V9.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Does anyone know of a store that sells the Bebook, or the Hanlin V3, or any of the other ereaders near Houston. I would love to try one out.
The only reader you will find in a store in Houston (USA) would be the Sony reader. They have it at Target, Sony Style, Borders. They have also been spotted at Costco, but those were 500's... not sure if anyone has seen a 505 there.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #11
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sankar10 View Post
It is nokia 4c or 5c battery which is commonly available . I am right now using one of them without any difficulty
Yes, V3 uses Chinese analogue of Nokia BL-5c battery. I bought an original one (Nokia), and my charge-to charge time increased by a half.
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:39 AM   #12
sorareader
sorareader began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
We have had a couple of members buy a new battery on eBay and change it them selves (the 500 not sure about the 505) so it is possible to replace them if you are ambitious.

BOb
Yes, I guess that it is possible, but it will always be a bit more cumbersome than in the V3...
sorareader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #13
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by torbich View Post
It's the problem with PVI- screen manufacture. No screens - no device. Maybe in half a year we get it.

From the formats you mentioned, .lit and .chm support is rather ugly and limited. Links do not work in chm.
Links don't work in CHM files on the V3? Hmmm... sure about that? Do you see like a pointer underneath a link, that you can move up & down, using the number pad?

Curious, as my V2 handles CHM files very well - the ToC shows up in the mini-LCD at the bottom and links works.
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote