Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
JBL firmware 16- same bug

I flashed my JBL to release version 16 (not beta) obtained here

http://www.jetbook.net/update.php?refid=29532

I went to the middle of a couple of books, closed them, shut down and changed batteries, went back to same books and they were at page 1 (that's right, one). Checked settings, and 16 WAS installed.

Looks like 15G bug is back to me. Flashed back to 15D-B once again, and all works fine.

Could they have fixed this in 16 Beta, then reintroduced the same bug in 16 released?
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron46 View Post
I flashed my JBL to release version 16 (not beta) obtained here

http://www.jetbook.net/update.php?refid=29532

I went to the middle of a couple of books, closed them, shut down and changed batteries, went back to same books and they were at page 1 (that's right, one). Checked settings, and 16 WAS installed.

Looks like 15G bug is back to me. Flashed back to 15D-B once again, and all works fine.

Could they have fixed this in 16 Beta, then reintroduced the same bug in 16 released?
That's very odd... Did you post it on their website so that they know?

I have the 16 beta on mine and that bug is squashed there... Maybe they uploaded the wrong file?
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
Ron46
Zealot

Yea. I put it on their forum. I cannot believe this. I am almost tempted to try it again. Maybe someone else can confirm this?
Old 07-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #4
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Yea. I put it on their forum. I cannot believe this. I am almost tempted to try it again. Maybe someone else can confirm this?
If it doesn't work, here is a link to the beta files that I used. It is on dropbox.com.

Last edited by DJHARKAVY; 07-10-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:07 AM   #5
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Haha, I'm glad I'm still with 15d.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Ron46
Zealot

I don't read anymore. I just spend my time flashing and backflashing buggy firmware. I think I'll stick with D and check back next year sometime.

If anyone else flashes to 16 (release- not beta), please confirm or deny that you are getting the same thing- lost placemarks after changing batteries. I am getting tired of doing this.

Last edited by Ron46; 07-10-2010 at 11:23 PM. Reason: add par.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #7
Ron46
Zealot

Jerry at Ectaco is telling me to try 16 beta also. I would think he would grab a JBL, put 16 on it, and check it out for himself. And take it down if it is defective. He is, after all, on their payroll.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Jerry at Ectaco is telling me to try 16 beta also. I would think he would grab a JBL, put 16 on it, and check it out for himself. And take it down if it is defective. He is, after all, on their payroll.

True, but in the interest of us all, and since you are the one who brought
it up, (therefor the most creditable one to establish if your concerns have
been addressed) perhaps you could take the ten minutes to do the flashing
of the same beta o.16 that is working for the rest of us. That way we
might get some indication of the source of the problem you have observed.
It might also provide a reason for Jerry to recheck his position that both
versions/files are the same.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #9
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I don't read anymore. I just spend my time flashing and backflashing buggy firmware...
LOL. I'm not reading much with the latest firmware either. It's still very rough around the edge and buggy. My vision that the firmware programmer is a soloist has become more real with each passing day. New firmware is just not being tested.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:47 AM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
LOL. I'm not reading much with the latest firmware either. It's still very rough around the edge and buggy. My vision that the firmware programmer is a soloist has become more real with each passing day. New firmware is just not being tested.
This thread is in reference to the Jetbook Lite (JBL) not the Jetbook (JB)
that you list as one of your reading devices. I have read of the JB's
firmware history, but there is no reason to combine the two experiences
to make things worse than they really are.

Luck;
Ken
Old 07-11-2010, 01:58 AM   #11
DJHARKAVY
Addict

I've been reading hours and hours off of the firmware. Took about 15-20 minute all told to flash and turn back on again...

Give it a try with the link I posted upthread. If it still doesn't work, then it is your machine. If it does work, then Jerry will know that it is the firmware.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #12
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
This thread is in reference to the Jetbook Lite (JBL) not the Jetbook (JB)
that you list as one of your reading devices. I have read of the JB's
firmware history, but there is no reason to combine the two experiences
to make things worse than they really are.

Luck;
Ken
Sorry, can't resist it. In a firmware bashing mood.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
Ron46
Zealot

Flashed my wife's machine with released v. 16 and it works fine. Hers never had 15G on it.

Reflashed mine with beta 16, then released 16, and it now works fine also. The only thing I can postulate is that since mine had 15G on it at one time, the 15G bug may not have been purged with the reflash.

I think 16 beta and released are the same file anyway. Same bit count 54231040 and same date and time.

Another variation was that this time I did everything in Windows- extraction, format SD, and load folders on SD. The first time, some of it was done in Linux.

I'll never report a bug after this without attempting a second reflash first. The 15G bug was a good call, I'm not so sure about this one.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Flashed my wife's machine with released v. 16 and it works fine. Hers never had 15G on it.

Reflashed mine with beta 16, then released 16, and it now works fine also. The only thing I can postulate is that since mine had 15G on it at one time, the 15G bug may not have been purged with the reflash.

I think 16 beta and released are the same file anyway. Same bit count 54231040 and same date and time.

Another variation was that this time I did everything in Windows- extraction, format SD, and load folders on SD. The first time, some of it was done in Linux.

I'll never report a bug after this without attempting a second reflash first. The 15G bug was a good call, I'm not so sure about this one.

Right, you catching the 0.15G bug so fast, is what gave us the 0.16 in
such a timely manner and saved us from who knows how many others
encountering the problem.

It is always a good practice when encountering a problem right after a
flash (BIOS or Firmware) to consider a reflash, and after that perhaps
redownloading the update and flashing again, if needed.

Mistaken Bug reports, are part of the real world and while they can be
embarrassing and sow some dissension and confusion, for a while, they
are to be expected, from time to time.

Finding the real bugs, is well worth the occasional erroneous report.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-13-2010 at 05:48 AM.