Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
As he put it, at his age, why spend money on books he can get for free?
I don't see why that axiom would be restricted to one's age.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #17
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't see why that axiom would be restricted to one's age.

BOb

True. It's a pretty popular attitude all the way down.

I think it just bites a bit deeper when you get to that age. I've been calculating retirement scenarios recently and it can all look hunky dory when you first say goodbye to the regular pay and contemplate your stash of cash. But after a decade or two, inflation and general spending plays merry hell with the shrinking value of what you've got left. Doesn't half distort your view of what you have to pay for some items.

For instance, in the last 20 years the land around here has gone up in price not just by a factor of two or three - but now goes for well over ten times the price. That kind of just slipped by at the time, but I'm sure going to notice that kind of stuff when the money tap gets turned off. As they say, you have to drastically cut down on the wine and women, but the good news is that you can still sing as much as you like....

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #18
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Having done some borrowing of ebooks from my own library, I'd have to say that the borrowing process is at least as convoluted as buying, and probably moreso. In any case, I don't think that would work for my father-in-law, even if he could wrap his mind around the procedure, because he lives in a small city on the south side of Puerto Rico, where I doubt such opportunities abound. I gather he mostly rereads old favorites these days and mostly wants to have his collection of Dick Francis novels and a few other favorite mystery writers readily at hand.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #19
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I went with my mother-in-law today to look at Nooks and Sony Readers. Was leaning toward the Nook for my father-in-law, until I tried using it. While it looks nice and feels nice in the hand, I found its navigation in the touch-screen strip to be finicky and requiring of fine motor control. I didn't think that would work too well for him. Also, the font size doesn't scale up to nearly as large a size as on the Sony Readers.

The Touch, on the other hand, has a touch-screen with very large buttons and a less complex menu to navigate. He'll just need to learn, as I did on my 700, to use the back of a fingernail on the touchscreen for page turns, as that works much better than an actual fingertip. Now I need to load a bunch of books on it for him.

Buying new books will be a little harder for him than on the Nook or Kindle (not necessarily a bad thing, as he's quite the impulse buyer), but now that Reader software is available for the Mac, I think it'll be manageable.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
My advice, as owner of both a Nook and a Kindle, would be to go with a Kindle or a Sony. Kindle works great, it's soon to get an update to make it even better, and I've heard wonderful things from folks who swear by their Sony readers.

PS: The PDF pan and zoom function coming with the next Kindle update (May 2010) should make reading PDF files a breeze! Great news for aged eyes! I may just buy a few graphic novels to celebrate!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-28-2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Add Post Script.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My advice, as owner of both a Nook and a Kindle, would be to go with a Kindle or a Sony. Kindle works great, it's soon to get an update to make it even better, and I've heard wonderful things from folks who swear by their Sony readers.

PS: The PDF pan and zoom function coming with the next Kindle update (May 2010) should make reading PDF files a breeze! Great news for aged eyes! I may just buy a few graphic novels to celebrate!
Wow... I didn't know about this. I haven't seen it anywhere. Did you post about this in the news thread? If so, I can front page it.

BOb
Old 04-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wow... I didn't know about this. I haven't seen it anywhere. Did you post about this in the news thread? If so, I can front page it.

BOb
It's in another thread. Give me a minute and I'll find it and post the link.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:

BOb
Here you go, BOb:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81829

mgmueller started the thread.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-28-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Fix URL
Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #24
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
My gut instinct is to recommend Kindle 2 -- for the easy font size and margin customization, free chapters to explore, integrated book store, wireless content delivery, and terrific online experience and account management ....

Does this chap have a computer? Is there a comfort level joining MobileRead and "harvesting" the incredible selection of things from member downloads in .mobi? All of which can invoke text-to-speech? If browsing, saving, transferring via USB is "all in a day's work" ... Kindle 2 -- with its outstanding customer service -- would be at the top of my list to recommend.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #25
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
My gut instinct is to recommend Kindle 2 -- for the easy font size and margin customization, free chapters to explore, integrated book store, wireless content delivery, and terrific online experience and account management ....
I chose Sony over the Kindle for 2 main reasons: epub support rather than Amazon-proprietary format, which makes for easier transitions to other platforms, if desired; and the fact that you can't go to a store and try a Kindle to see if it suits the need, but you can a Sony. (Plus I have a Sony and know its quirks and capabilities. It's extremely easy to use, especially with the touchscreen. Just point and poke.)

Quote:
Does this chap have a computer? Is there a comfort level joining MobileRead and "harvesting" the incredible selection of things from member downloads in .mobi? All of which can invoke text-to-speech? If browsing, saving, transferring via USB is "all in a day's work" ...
Actually, I don't see any of that arguing for Kindle over any other (except the wireless purchasing). Doubt that he'd be interested in TTS, even if it were enabled across the board. Yes, he has a Mac--and he loves it, but neepery just leads him to frustration. As for joining MR and downloading, no, not a chance. But I can do that for him, regardless of the reader.

I've loaded the Sony with a bunch of stuff from my library, and bought a slate of his beloved Dick Francis novels, so I hope he'll be good to go for quite a while.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Of course you can try a Kindle 2 and send it back for a refund if you don't like it within 30 days.

But, sounds like you already got the Sony... hope he likes it.

BOb
Old 04-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I chose Sony over the Kindle for 2 main reasons: epub support rather than Amazon-proprietary format, which makes for easier transitions to other platforms, if desired; and the fact that you can't go to a store and try a Kindle to see if it suits the need, but you can a Sony. ...
From what I've heard, Kindle is coming to Target. that should take care of the trying it out in a store thing. As for ePub, it would be nice if it had ePub support, but so far everything I've wanted I've been able to find in Mobi format, which is supported by Kindle.

The only advantage I can see for Sony is the touchscreen, which I can't comment on, as the only time I've tried one was a floor model in a Best Buy, and it was broken. I've heard people rave about how easy it is to tap a word to look up it's meaning.

As for the Nook, I wouldn't recommend it, unless the only thing you're going to do on it is read. It does that well. Notations are a pain, and after three system upgrades there's still no way to transfer those notes from the device. Navigation is difficult, and the dictionary is hard to use, but if all you want to do is read books from one end to the other--and many people do--the Nook is fine and easy to use.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My mother who is in her 80s has a 600. She likes it. I do help her out with it though. But she gets along with it quite well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #29
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

The 600 is the one we got for him. Glad your mom likes hers, Jon. The UI seemed by far the simplest of the lot. And since it's nearly identical to my 700's, that'll make the inevitable Tech Support calls from Puerto Rico easier to talk through.

The decision needed to be made this week, which ruled out waiting for Kindles to appear in stores sometime this year.

Besides, I'm more adept, so to speak, at liberating epub files from handcuffs than Amazon files.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #30
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
starrigger, does he read any of your books?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote