Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: April 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald 19 25.33%
Topper by Thorne Smith 5 6.67%
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole 10 13.33%
My man Jeeves by P G Wodehouse 2 2.67%
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain 7 9.33%
Fool by Christopher Moore 3 4.00%
Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man by Henry Bashford 0 0%
A Damon Runyon Omnibus 1 1.33%
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore 10 13.33%
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 16 21.33%
Candide by Voltaire 2 2.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #271
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
And the discussion thread hasn't even started yet!
Of course. Silly book fancy discussion. I want to wait for the official discussion time, though. I am at page 30.

In the meantime, I cannot refrain myself to express unlimited admiration for Ea's Avatar and for the cutest Sparrows'. Boy, oh boy, am I happy to have joined this Forum!

Regards to all of you.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #272
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Looks like comedy is something that gets people to participate.
In fact comedy comes from the ancient Greek komos that means banquet, festivity. In Latin has the prefix cum that means with, together. If you mentioned it on purpose chapeau, if you just wrote it by chance, double chapeau. It means that you have a big dose of the famous Norwegian magic.
Get my modest Karma then.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #273
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
In the meantime, I cannot refrain myself to express unlimited admiration for Ea's Avatar and for the cutest Sparrows'. Boy, oh boy, am I happy to have joined this Forum!
If it's the new avatar from today, it's a painting of a mermaid by Elizabeth Jerichau-Baumann. And thank you BTW
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #274
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Hmm, I read the Biff sample - and voted for the Egg.
I'll take Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett as an example. Any sample you'd download of it won't give you the laughs. But, you'll get the laughs later on into the book and it's quite funny. So a sample of chapter 1 doesn't always let you know how good or not a book is really going to be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #275
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
In the March 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote thread, after the tie vote and the moderator's decision to open two book threads, you said, "What's the problem with a vote-off between the two? What this does is splinter the book club for this month."

PilotBob made changes, and now you're wanting a separate thread to discuss Lamb? Jon—we lost the vote! Get over it! Now let's be good sports and read The Egg and I.
I'm not trying to make a new discussion thread. I'm trying to vchange the one voted on.

But, from the comments about the egg so far, it sound like it's a smile and maybe a small chuckle. I'd rather a book where people are saying they are really laughing.
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #276
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, from the comments about the egg so far, it sound like it's a smile and maybe a small chuckle. I'd rather a book where people are saying they are really laughing.
Will you be reading it with us?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #277
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
It's difficult to prove humour with extracts because they lose their effect out of context. But what about this passage about the relationship between the husband and wife?

"Right after breakfast one May morning he drove into the yard astride a horse large enough to have been sired by an elephant. Carelessly looping the reins over a gatepost he informed me that I was to steer this monster while he ran along behind holding the plow. All went reasonably well until Birdie, the horse, stepped on my foot. “She’s on my foot,” I said mildly to Bob who was complaining because we had stopped. “Get her off and let’s get going,” shouted the man who had promised to cherish me."

I thought that was funny. Despite having the weight of a huge horse on her foot, she is mild and retains her dignity - he however shouts and loses his rag. And the last phrase "shouted the man who had promised to cherish me" I thought both humorous and also indicative if the strength of their relationship, based on a healthy realism that doesn't rely on idealistic romanticism to sustain itself.
It's amusing, but not a real laugh (IMHO).
Old 04-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #278
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Will you be reading it with us?

BOb
Not unless we have a few people saying it's a real laugh. So far, nobody has said it's a real laugh. It sounds like a cute smiler. But that's about it so far.

I'm talking the kind of laugh you give that gets others to look at you. The kind of laugh you get with Discworld novels.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #279
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Jon, I wonder how you would classify Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum mysteries? Are they a smile or laugh out loud stories?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #280
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Not unless we have a few people saying it's a real laugh. So far, nobody has said it's a real laugh. It sounds like a cute smiler. But that's about it so far.
I'm curious Jon... how many of the winning books you have actually read? You are very vocal in the nomination and vote threads... but I don't recall seeing you post much in the discussion threads.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:19 AM   #281
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I finished the book on my way in to work. For a book about chickens I thought it was a real cliffhanger ending waiting for a sequel to be written.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:37 AM   #282
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I'd like to give thanks to the one making the book available in .mobi format here at MR, Karma coming your way Patricia (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=8654). I had a great time reading it.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #283
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

I'm talking the kind of laugh you give that gets others to look at you. The kind of laugh you get with Discworld novels.
I would say that The Egg and I is on the same level for laughs as the discworld series. But then I wouldn't categorize the discworld books as "laugh out loud funny".

I'm about a quarter of the way thru and so far enjoying it more then Three Men in a Boat.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #284
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I've been trying to highlight all the funny parts in the book, but it's impossible... I have highlighted nearly all of it...

I think 'comedy' and 'humour' are 2 different things... Comedy is and humour is

Maybe this book is more humorous for women to read? I did reading about her 'stillborn bread'...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #285
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished. So when does the discussion thread begin?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote