Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
imagitronics
Enthusiast
imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX / Sony PRS-505
PDF hard linefeeds

Hey all,

As mentioned in another post, I just got a PRS-505 for Christmas. I've always been skeptical of ebook readers, but now that the 505 supports changing font sizes in PDF it's definitely a step in the right direction.

My only annoyance is that when I increase the font size of a PDF file, the "hard" line breaks become rather annoying. I'm sure you've all seen this behavior - every-other line only reaches halfway across the page before encountering a hard line break and starting a new line.

The material is completely readable, yet this really breaks up the flow of my reading. Does anyone know of any way to remove those hard line feeds from a PDF file?
imagitronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Just by converting to another format.

The PDF format is not really a total eBook format and even with text PDF's the reflowing engine in the 505 makes a hit and miss success with reflowing the text to let that be seen in a smaller screen that the one the PDF was build to be shown (example A4 PDF in a 6” screen).

One another example is the Adobe Acrobat reader for Pocketpcs (http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...p2_mobile.html) does a much better work in reflowing text then the one in the Sony!
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
imagitronics
Enthusiast
imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the reply. I've absolutely fallen in love with what my Sony Reader can do. I used pdfcrop.pl to crop out the white margins in some of my PDF documents, and they look pretty good now. Books that are designed for the reader are absolutely amazing... but mostly newspaper comic strips display phenomenally well.

I love the reader, but I still long for a second device with a bigger screen for technical documents. It's taking every ounce of my willpower to wait until CES to see what new readers will be coming out this year - otherwise I'm going to pick up an iRex Digital Reader 1000, not as a replacement to the Sony, but as a supplement.

Tim
Old 01-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

I would say that, if no very different offer appears, for tech PDF's the Iliads look to be the best bet.

Personally I use a Tabletpc for that...
Old 01-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
imagitronics
Enthusiast

Really? Why would you recommend the Iliad over the larger-screened 1000?

I can't use a tablet of because I'm one of those people who can't read comfortably on-screen for extended periods... And my self-diagnosed ADHD means I would wind up sidetracked on a PC like device...
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru

I’m sorry, I was clear in my answer.

When I was saying Iliad’s, I was refereeing any one of them, the old version 2, book version and the new 1000 ones - all of them are from the company IRex.

8.1” screens ad 10.4” screens look give much better ROI for tech document’s, specially the A4/letter formatted ones.
And you are right, the bigger the screen the better.

Success with your quest,