Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-16-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
encyclopedia instead of kindle dictionary

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good encyclopedia that can be used in place of the kindle dictionary.
I'm thinking if I can't get one, I may replace it with another dictionary..
one of the merriams perhaps? Can anyone recommend one?
Do any of the encyclopedias/dictionaries available have a TTS function like the stardict ones do on Duokan? That is a great feature!
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can do Wikipedia lookups as a standard facility, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
You can replace the supplied dictionary with other dictionaries, and then designate the new dictionary as your default dictionary. If you purchase a dictionary NOT from Amazon, you will have to remove any DRM before it can become your default dictionary, and it must be in mobi format. I've seen other reports here that only English language dictionaries can be used as a default dictionary [probably a metadata issue].

Loading an encyclopedia may provide slow look-up capabilities -- depending on the size of the encyclopedia and its formatting. I currently have the MobiRead Egyptian dictionary on my Kindle - it works fairly well.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I think encyclopedia entries might be too big for the way the K3 displays dictionary entries. I've never heard of an encyclopedia formatted as a dictionary (special formatting is required for dictionary lookup in .mobi format).

Wikipedia lookups seem preferable to me. Then, you can keep the dictionary capability.

There are Spanish, French, etc. dictionaries available that can be used for default dictionaries.

The entries in an encyclopedia need to change too often to make one file practical. Just think what the file size would be, anyway. You wouldn't have room for books!
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I think encyclopedia entries might be too big for the way the K3 displays dictionary entries. I've never heard of an encyclopedia formatted as a dictionary (special formatting is required for dictionary lookup in .mobi format).

Wikipedia lookups seem preferable to me. Then, you can keep the dictionary capability.

..snip...
I do have the mobilereference encyclopedia of world cinema. it can be used as the default. it's pretty big- about 180 megs!
I wonder if all these mobilereference ebooks have the same type format that allow them to be used as the default...
http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=13002931...ference&page=1
Advert
Old 03-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They have to have the same format, otherwise it wouldn't work. See the dictionary section under http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...eFolder=prcgen.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
It should be possible to convert an encyclopedia book to the dictionary format (albeit probably quite some effort would be needed). I have done it (not for an encyclopedia but in principle that should not matter, just take longer) and described the way I did it here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119226
Regarding the speed, my biggest dictionary has ~40 MB size, 100.000 entries + a few hundreds of thousands inflections and the lookup is not really instant but it is acceptable (approx. 2-5 seconds). The number of entries+inflections should matter more than the size of the file for the speed of the lookup, so I imagine it should not be a major problem for an encyclopedia. Clearly, some entries would span over many pages in an encyclopedia, again not a major issue.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
bZkindle
Fanatic

well, I just cracked and bought the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate dictionary instead of worrying about an encyclopedia:
http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webste...0319287&sr=8-1
my first impressions aren't all that great.
it doesn't seem nearly as comprehensive as the print version.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
r--t*nix
r--t*nix doesn't litterr--t*nix doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can do Wikipedia lookups as a standard facility, of course.
i agree Wikipedia is the one that i prefer the most. though i like the mobile version as it is better formatted.
r--t*nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Converting wikipedia into use as the Kindle's default dictionary might not be trivial but it would also not be insurmountbale.

I don't know if wikipedia is capable of being stored locally on the Kindle. Storage space increases as costs of storage decrease so we might expect that future Kindles will have the capacity. I would expect a local version of wikipedia to be loaded onto my Kindle at the factory and then automatically update itself periodically, probably over wifi, but even that might be too much of a strain on the bandwidth.

More realistically, we could expect a wikipedia app on our Kindles, to function as our default lookup. This would require a constant connection to the internet which the 3G Kindle has. It would probably also require an upgrade or two to the Kindle firmware but we want wikipedia and I expect that we will get it.

To that end,

let us all email: kindle-feedback@amazon.com

with the subject line: Wikipedia Please!

You can fill in the body yourself, it's fun!

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #11
bZkindle
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Converting wikipedia into use as the Kindle's default dictionary might not be trivial but it would also not be insurmountbale.

I don't know if wikipedia is capable of being stored locally on the Kindle. Storage space increases as costs of storage decrease so we might expect that future Kindles will have the capacity. I would expect a local version of wikipedia to be loaded onto my Kindle at the factory and then automatically update itself periodically, probably over wifi, but even that might be too much of a strain on the bandwidth.

More realistically, we could expect a wikipedia app on our Kindles, to function as our default lookup. This would require a constant connection to the internet which the 3G Kindle has. It would probably also require an upgrade or two to the Kindle firmware but we want wikipedia and I expect that we will get it.

To that end,

let us all email: kindle-feedback@amazon.com

with the subject line: Wikipedia Please!

You can fill in the body yourself, it's fun!

there used to be a project (I don't think it's maintained anymore) called 'wikipodia' that allowed you to store the whole of wikipedia on your early generation ipod. If I remember correctly, it clocked in at about 3 GB.
Who knows how big wikipedia is now. Plus, wikipedia is constantly being updated so it would be hard to stay current with a local copy.

We already have a wikipedia 'app' on our kindles (in a sense):
highlight a word, push the spacebar, and select 'wikipedia'.
I see what you're saying though: it would be nice to be able to select that as the default instead of a dictionary.
I really don't think that's feasible either because it would have to either open in a browser window (which is what we already have) or... be locally stored in a mobipocket format, which brings us back to where we are.

EDIT: excuse me, the project is called encyclopodia
http://encyclopodia.sourceforge.net/en/index.html

Last edited by bZkindle; 03-17-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
I see what you're saying though: it would be nice to be able to select that as the default instead of a dictionary.
I really don't think that's feasible either because it would have to either open in a browser window (which is what we already have) or... be locally stored in a mobipocket format, which brings us back to where we are.
I guess I just expect too much, I move the cursor next to a term and want to instantly know everything there is to know about it.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
susan_cassidy
Wizard

No encyclopedia will tell you "everything there is to know about it".
Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #14
stehk
Enthusiast
stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2
There exists a wikipedia formatted to mobi. However the newest version (from 2008 I think) splits up into several files and has an index file (or more index files) that redirects from each keyword to another file.

However the hyperlinks from one document to another work well for mobireader, but aren't even recognized by my kindle 2. (I don't know if that's generally impossible with the kindle, or just doesn't work with the file.
however the files can be found here:
http://pinguinburg.de/wpmp

I think there is explained how to use any html dump to convert to mobi.

I use a pretty old german wikipedia that still comes as a single file (about 300 MB or something like that) and has been converted to mobipocket.
it can be found here (only german):
http://www.axelschaefermdb.de/servic...ia/archiv.html
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Unterwegs
stehk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, duokan, encyclopedia, kindle, tts